Author Topic: Overheating, badly  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Eddie

• BANNED
Overheating, badly
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
Bike has been overheating lately, can't quite figure out why. I just flushed the coolant, which scared me as oil came out. Until I realized I pulled the oil cooler line and not the coolant plug. Phew. I just sort of felt around for a bolt.

Anyway, the fan does not seem to be kicking it, I will check the connector and switch shortly.

Would a busted thermostat cause this issue?

It's not the water pump as it's not leaking. Or could it still be the pump even without a leak?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Overheating, badly
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »
While a defective T-Stat can cause the bike to overheat it has absolutely nothing to do with the fan switch or the temp sending unit. First off check the fan fuse it is located under the left side cover and is the exposed white (or is it black?) fuse holder just above the J-Box. 2nd check that the fan can actually run by jumping (shorting across the fan temp switch on the left side of the rad. core. When you flushed the coolant did you purge (burp) the air out of the cooling system by cracking the bleeder just above the T-Stat? If you have an air pocket in the T-Stat housing the stat will not open if in air it must be submerged in coolant or water. How old is the Rad Cap? Just because it looks good does not mean that it is sealing properly at pressure. When you flushed you did use a 50/50 mix? Undiluted coolant/antifreeze can and will cause overheating.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
Check all the things T Cro mentioned, but also make sure you bleed the cooling system at the water pump.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »
Anyway, the fan does not seem to be kicking it, I will check the connector and switch shortly.

99% sure this is your problem.  It should be coming on if you are saying the bike is overheating with the fan not running.  As T-Cro said, jump the connector at the switch, and the fan should run.  If it doesn't, it is either the fuse (stand alone - mounted just above the J-box with a white cover) or the switch (of course it could even be a chaffed wire).

The cooling fan switch is inexpensive if you go to an autoparts store and tell them you need one for a 1991 Honda Civic DX.  The thermostat is from a 1983 Honda Accord (I'd recommend a 195 degree one, but stock is around 185? - your choice).  A radiator cap can be obtained from a 1978 Ford Fiesta.  This was all obtained from the parts conversion table.  If you need the o-rings for the thermostat (and you will if you open it) order the kit from Murph for $12.50.  I've used the switch and thermo on the list with no problems.  Haven't needed the cap yet.  Make sure the thermo has the little hole in it to burp, or drill a 1/16" one yourself.

O-rings - http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=428
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
I had a similar problem on my 86 Connie.  Even though the fan switch was operating it was turning on too late or when the temperature was too high.  Ordered a new switch from Murphs and all it well again or at least normal.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=320
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »
I had a similar problem on my 86 Connie.  Even though the fan switch was operating it was turning on too late or when the temperature was too high.  Ordered a new switch from Murphs and all it well again or at least normal.

Perfect point!  I forgot to say this was exactly what mine was doing.  It would pretty much almost peg the needle, then the fan would come on.  Two days later, the fan would not come on.  If I could get moving, the temp would drop so I didn't loose any coolant.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »
You can buy a car cooling fan switch for about $25 at the auto store.  The actuation temp is a little lower and so is the deactivate temp.  There is a link on here somewhere with part numbers.

I just found my notes.  AutoZone  has a Wells SW504 $23, Napa has Echlin $50, O'reilly has one for $23 but I can't remember which brand.    Borg Warner TFS500. I have more but don't know who carries each one.  Of course, you'll want to compare them before putting it in.  Plug the hole in radiator with a small round object to give you a minute to compare the units.

I've used OEM and car type and can't say that one lasts longer than the other.

The OEM unit is about $50 and in my case is a few mm shorter but the car version is working for me.

No need to drain coolant to install.  Just have the unit ready so when you unscrew on your radiator you can put the new one in right away.

I've replaced a few units in the 22 years I've had my bike. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
May be late, but here's the generic parts cross list.

http://www.randols.net/Connie/#CommonParts
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
May be late, but here's the generic parts cross list.

http://www.randols.net/Connie/#CommonParts

Me thinks that old Eddie must work offshore or something as he has not been back since he posted on the 16th....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010