Author Topic: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread  (Read 40046 times)

Offline gpzrocker

Shinko 890 JOurney review thread
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »
Greg has 600 miles, I have 20: time to look at what the deal is.

For me, I am coming off of Avon radials. Loved those tires. That is for reference.  I do have pics of the tires I have around, I'll post them later if they are worth looking at. Also I am from an area that finds Deals Gap overcrowded and not worth the two hours to go each way. I have roads like that in my back yard.

Rear: Worn Dunlop 700 series, worn Avon, and new Shinko Journey. My calibrated eye puts the Shinko at an inch taller, the tire must be two inches taller than the 011 Verge.  wife agrees with me: looks funny that way.

Front: not that much different, but the Shinko seems to be more round.

Install on rim: easy. My first personal install, and went great.

Balance: again my first time, on a HF balancer. Once I figured it out, I put 1/2 ounce on the front and 1 3/4 on the back.

Install on bike: front uneventful, rear it had to happen: I have a lot less of a rear fender. Went a lot smoother then too. I think it looks funny, but the tire changing is much easier.

Test ride: From my memory, Avons are great out of the box. Shinkos: not so much.

take it down the road: don't hear that Avon "tick-tick" of the pea gravel picked up. Good. First turn is a 90 degree left, and things are scary: feels like the rear is turning in faster than the front, almost like I have all wheel steering. I feel like the bike is falling off a cliff when I turn. This continues for the first 14 miles, probably twice that many curves, until I get home and check everything out. I did stop in the middle and visual everything. Pressures right, torques right, nothing moving around: call my expert bud. He agrees with me that the tires just have a different "feel" than the Avons, and I am not sure I like it. The front is not as peaked as the Avons, and the rear is an inch taller: now I know what they mean by "quick turn in".  I think. I take it out to softball practice, yikes. On the way back I start to go with the flow and stop fighting the feel, and it is working better. So the jury is out, I have heard that the front 011 is much more "sporty" of a tire.

I did look at the tires, and I am using almost all of it, as much of it as I did with the Avons. That is only after only 20 miles, so I am wondering if I am just noticing the height difference. Probably. Or maybe that mold stuff is freaking me out. So....

By next week I will have over 200 miles on it, visiting BRP, Diamondback, Devils Whip, Lake Lure and Hot Springs. If it doesn't pitch me over the side somewhere, I will have decided if I have made a good decision. Right now, I am not so sure.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
GPZ, in another 20 miles you will not even notice it. The heavier tire has more centrifical throw weight which is what causes the difference in the feel. Once you master the feel you will be turning corners just fine. Heck I took Pilot GT's (bias ply) up and down the Dragon and caught a sportbike going uphill.
Just saw another new Shinko radial tire on Comp/Acc. Its a 757 and it is also available in the wing size. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
OK...
We hit 80 deg. here in central Ohio today, the road surface was clean from the rains the other day and stayed clean through today. I got out around 5 pm and hit some of the more agressive tarmacks near my home. One curve in particular is just awesome. It starts out as a wide sweeper and closes out with a hard left then right. I did it from both directions multiple times, and the rear Journey did wonderful. I have a full tank, 50 lbs, in the rear shock, and 8k on the front Avon Roadrider.
The Journey did just great, stuck the road and rolled over and back easily.
I really like this tire, and I will recommend it.
Hope this input helps the output.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
GPZ, in another 20 miles you will not even notice it. The heavier tire has more centrifical throw weight which is what causes the difference in the feel. Once you master the feel you will be turning corners just fine. Heck I took Pilot GT's (bias ply) up and down the Dragon and caught a sportbike going uphill.
Just saw another new Shinko radial tire on Comp/Acc. Its a 757 and it is also available in the wing size.

Interesting they call it a 757...I thought those had been unavailable for about a year...and I don't see the SE890 Journey either...I wonder if they're confused...?   :-\

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new SE890 before the Wildflower Rally...we'll see how it works with a 110-18 PR3 on the front...gonna get the TPMS setup too...
'02 C-10

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
It said on their website that the 757 was a new tire.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
It said on their website that the 757 was a new tire.

That's why I think they might be confused...I've had a 757 on my bike for a year...the SE890 Journey has only been available for a couple of months...the progression of Shinko Gold Wing radials started with the 747...then came the 757...next, the SE790 Journey was listed in print...but, I don't think any were ever released to the public...and, now we have the SE890 Journey...

I wonder if they will say it's a misprint if they get a call about it...seems to be about the same pricing as the SE890...
'02 C-10

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Thanks guys! 

Probably going to go with the SE890 and PR3....heard nothing but good things about the PR3, and now so far this thread seems pretty positive.
Say what?

Offline soyjim

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
I am interested in this tire as a rear replacement when I need it. Right now I am working on getting my seat height and screen height  correct for me. My thinking is I would like to use a goldwing size tire on the rear and standard size on the front.  Currently have mismatched standard size radials on bike.(dunlop 220 on front and azaro on rear) The only comment I can make about the combination is I haven't killed myself in a couple of thousand miles. I was hopeing some of you that are using this new tire could comment on how this Over size-regular size combination affects stand over height and line of vision over the wind shield. As you evaluate the tire if you could think about this and comment on it, those comments would be helpful to me now and maybe others in the future.

Really enjoy reading you guys comments and review-thanks. Hopefully if we all work together we can all get a tire combination that does the job we each want from the limited c10 tires available.

I just want to ride my "motorsikel."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »
Hey Louie, like you I love my AVON's but when I went with 17 inches front and rear, I ended you giving the Sginko Raven's a shot. Like I said in my other post about them, there is nothing the Shinko's can't do the the ANON can. So far I have a couple thousand miles on them and love them.

"..... soooo what's up about this "devils whip" you been holding out on me?  ;)

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:56:54 AM »
SoyJim: one thing I did not notice was the ride height (tiptoeing or such) or the screen height: i think it is close to standard.

Jim: I figured as much, but DANG! If I wasn't on hyper alert I would have still been picking myself up.

The 757 is last model, if you notice it says "unavailable". BikeBandit had mine, was named wrong as a 790 IIRC.

Ron" 15 minutes from the hotel! You stayed @ Little Switzerland IIRC, you might have missed NC80, or did you?

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
Just got mine on. So far so good.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
Ok, so yesterday was flogging day, and in a nutshell I will say that the 890 is a decent tire for the masses. For reference, I am coming off of 5K on the Avon radials, and am riding the same way that I always do, on the same roads that I usually ride. Nothing has changed on the bike other than the tires. I ride aggressive- ish, don't scrape the pegs much but do practice body positioning when I am in a hurry.

Always when these tires are cold I have to heighten my senses. They feel odd every time I come out of the driveway and do my first 3 or 4 turns ( within 1/2 mile). I only mention this that my Avons did not do this ever, 20 degree weather and worn out included. Stop to eat, same thing. I rate the 890 as "poor" on cold tire performance, based on Avons, Dunlops, and my previous bias ply experience. Nothing gave me this much insecurity.

It rode in rain well. I never could get it to feel comfortable on the interstate, always wanted to drift out to the edge, but nothing unmanageable. Never had that problem with the Avons. (Note: I may have had my bags packed lopsided, so I need to check this out further, maybe without the bags.) Through normal curves (those of you that know Lake Lure, 35MPH of all types of turns from sweepers to switchbacks) the tires were how they are supposed to be: invisible. I concerned myself with lines and looking through the curves. So for straight line I have to say "ok", for normal curve work: "very good to excellent".

Then came Hickory Nut Gorge. Nobody in front of me, I dug in fairly good. This is mostly a switchback road, you never see the end of the curve until you get to it unless you look down the hill before you hit the curve (good way to see if anything is coming). They handled respectable, I carried very good corner speed and only felt the tire slip once. I did notice that I was finishing up a few inches closer to the white line than I was used too. I was never in danger though, as i said before I don't ride that hard. So for more aggressive riding, I give them a surprisingly "very good". They were on par with the Avons, minus the slip, which may have been road ick inspired. To be truthful, nothing I ran through ever effected the Avons.

Ah, I almost forgot: the emergency stop. I did have rear tire chatter. Another thing that I have not felt since my bias days. It did not cause me a problem, but I did hear it, only way I knew it was happening. I'll rate this as "OK" as it didn't affect outcome but doesn't usually happen.

I find them comparable to Avons except in the cold tire situation. I have lots of friends that have the same problem (got to ride a mile or so before we hit it hard) so I don't think it is a fault of the Shinko, but just exemplifies how good of a tire an Avon is.  Will I buy them again?

Ask me again in 4820 miles. If I still have good mileage left on them, I probably will.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:04 AM »

Thanks for the reply!  Now, if only someone will test that new Michelin Commander II the way you did w/ the SE890... ;D
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
  Thanks for the reply!  Now, if only someone will test that new Michelin Commander II the way you did w/ the SE890... ;D

Thats what I was thinking....maybe that tire and the PR3 in front would be a great combo....
Say what?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Thats what I was thinking....maybe that tire and the PR3 in front would be a great combo....

Even just the Pilot 2. A little cheaper but the same great Michelin feel, grip and wear.

Just my $0.02. ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
I neglected this part: the front tire : Shinko 011 Verge.

Equal to the Avon in every respect. Great tire under all conditions. This (for the price) will be my go to tire for as long as they make them.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »
Super write up, Louie.  ;)

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Tele130

Doug Colton

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
I ordered the "160/80R 16 SE890 JOURNEY TOURING RADIAL SHINKO REAR TIRE" yesterday and got the confirmation it shipped out today from Chaparral Motorsports.  Should be here by Monday.  Hopefully i'll get a year out of it.

My local dealer called (while I was standing there) a few warehouses and they were all sold out and reported July to August as the restock date.  If you are thinking of getting one, maybe you should get it now.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tele130

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:56 AM »
Just F.Y.I.
Motorcycle Super Store has "Set's" available.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ViewCart.aspx

Doug Colton