Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133683 times)

Offline Throttle 8

Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
From what I see on Steve's dyno chart, it looks like you gain almost 14 hp just from the flash on a stock bike. Area P shows a 6hp increase on there dyno chart for the slip on. My simple math says that should add up to 20 hp, but you never now how they will interact; thus my question to Steve ( he has said he was going to test this exact setup on a dyno). I believe there are guys on this board or the other with a full Area P, flash, and filter that are putting mid 160's hp to the wheel.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 05:21:13 AM »
My bike currently has the areap slip on  mounted, and I've been trimming the fuel but haven't been to the dyno yet. Actually I have found a dyno I can purchase and I'm mulling it over... it's a good bit of coin, but I wouldn't have to rely on seting up dyno time anymore, so there is that.

Anyways, it's hard to accurately predict what might happen when "this" part stacks on "that" part.

To be honest, I was floored that my bike gained 14 hp with the stock exhaust. Floored to the point that we did several runs showing that gain, then I reflashed my stock map back in and got the 126-128 hp runs, then flashed the ECU back to my flash and back came the 142 hp.  So with that in mind it kind of threw off my idea of "reasonable expectations".

I was back to the dyno with 2 other concours owners 3 weeks ago. One has a pipe I built with the stock pipe diameter header pipes with a 2 bros slip on. The other has a full area p system. The bike with the pipe I built had incredible low end torque even stronger than the area p system, but from 6000 up the area P system was considerably stronger. The bike with the small tube peaked at 146 and the AreaP bike peaked at 157. These are SAE corrected #, same as my 142 hp. 

So with those #'s in mind, and IF the stock muffler is more of an impediment to power production than the pipe diameter or the CATS in the stock header  then I think it's possible for a flashed bike with a slip on to get to that mid 140's area... 145, 146, 147, right in there. If it doesn't get any more than the 142 I already have, then we're at the point of realizing the peak power with the stock header.

So far with the slip on I can say the bike is fast. It was fast before, too. It's so linear it masks the rate at which it accelerates from low rpm so the butt dyno is less effective. I do feel a subtle climb in power at 5000 rpm that I didn't feel with the stock muffler. Subtle but  noticeable none the less. This could be a good sign. Still, I need dyno data, which I will probably have within a couple weeks, and then after that the area P full system goes on, though I doubt it will stay; I'm really liking  the quiet / fast and don't need to be alerting the men in blue that there's an ICBM tearing up the roads in their area of responsibility  :o :o 

In closing I do want to say this - Guys put on slip ons almost as soon as they buy the bike. 4-500.00 $. Sure there are some weight savings, about 14 lbs, and probably some extra power to be gained, but it absolutely won't achieve the all rpm power gained with my flash. Not comparable. In my mind, putting on a slip on first and then mulling over getting the flash is a bit backwards, because the flash is the obvious bang for the buck winner in that contest. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 05:43:46 AM »
In closing I do want to say this - Guys put on slip ons almost as soon as they buy the bike. 4-500.00 $. Sure there are some weight savings, about 14 lbs[...]In my mind, putting on a slip on first and then mulling over getting the flash is a bit backwards, because the flash is the obvious bang for the buck winner in that contest. Steve

Yep.  But lots of people are more concerned with the APPEARANCE of performance, rather than actual performance.  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 06:18:08 AM »
Yep.  But lots of people are more concerned with the APPEARANCE of performance, rather than actual performance.  :)
fify

Offline bob h

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »
Whereas the HD crowd is more concerned with the SOUND of performance, rather than actual performance!

"If it won't go, put loud pipes on it.  If it still won't go, chrome it."

We all have our weaknesses!

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
From what I see on Steve's dyno chart, it looks like you gain almost 14 hp just from the flash on a stock bike. Area P shows a 6hp increase on there dyno chart for the slip on. My simple math says that should add up to 20 hp, but you never now how they will interact; thus my question to Steve ( he has said he was going to test this exact setup on a dyno). I believe there are guys on this board or the other with a full Area P, flash, and filter that are putting mid 160's hp to the wheel.

My rule of thumb for dyno claims for slip-ons is to be very skeptical. Most bikes are only going to get a 2 or 3 HP increase from just the muffler.

Does Area P know a way to get more power than Yoshimura or Vance and Hines does? I doubt it, but it will be interesting to see what the numbers are when Steve tests that combo.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »
I just want to say, that I appreciate what Steve is doing for us and all the info that is coming out because of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply Steve. Well thought out and logical! It was exactly along my line of thinking. I agree with what everyone above has said about slip on's generally being just noisemakers. I put mine on mainly because the stock exhaust was so butt fugly. I wasn't looking for extra hp as I have a  lightly modded ZX12R that puts out 183 to the wheel for those need for speed days. When I started subscribing  to Steve's flash threads, and saw the hp gains he was getting for the money, I became extremely interested----(more hp is always a good thing!) LOL!
One other thing about the Area P slip on----I have had slip ons' on several other previous bikes over the years, and they all were just cosmetic. I swear this slip on breathes better once you are above 6000rpm (at least according to the feel of my butt dyno). I am subscribed to Steve's testing---I find it extremely interesting as it gives me something to do over a long cold winter up here in the Great White North.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
My rule of thumb for dyno claims for slip-ons is to be very skeptical. Most bikes are only going to get a 2 or 3 HP increase from just the muffler.

Yep.  If that.  And that would be *peak* hp gain (at highest RPM), where few ever roam.

Does Area P know a way to get more power than Yoshimura or Vance and Hines does? I doubt it, but it will be interesting to see what the numbers are when Steve tests that combo.

I am more inclined to believe a larger gain (than less than half of the claim) *if the ECU/PC were TUNED* for that exact slight change a particular muffler swap makes.  But few people ever do that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
I just want to say, that I appreciate what Steve is doing for us and all the info that is coming out because of it.

+1

It is *GREAT* to have options!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
I had my ECU flashed by Steve and color me impressed.  While the additional power at the top end is nice, I really wanted it down lower in the rev range to be more useful in everyday driving.  Sometimes you get what you want and a lot more.  It now pulls a lot stronger from lower in the rpm range.  The bike doesn't have any dead spots off idle and seems to cruise easier. Not too scientific there, but if you get the upgrade you'll know what I mean.  Also, improved fuel economy!  What?  More power and less fuel?  Yup.  It seems the majority of the posts lately have been about how much top end power was available and I think that is missing the best parts of this upgrade.

I have a Muzzy slip on with everything else stock.  65k miles on a 2008.  I wanted the slip on because I wanted to hear the bike and because of aesthetics.   I found I had to control the exhaust popping noises on deceleration by cracking the throttle.  I also had to play with the throttle in other areas to make the engine behave properly.  That is no longer required.

:chugbeer:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
My bike currently has the areap slip on  mounted, and I've been trimming the fuel but haven't been to the dyno yet. Actually I have found a dyno I can purchase and I'm mulling it over... it's a good bit of coin, but I wouldn't have to rely on seting up dyno time anymore, so there is that.

Anyways, it's hard to accurately predict what might happen when "this" part stacks on "that" part.

To be honest, I was floored that my bike gained 14 hp with the stock exhaust. Floored to the point that we did several runs showing that gain, then I reflashed my stock map back in and got the 126-128 hp runs, then flashed the ECU back to my flash and back came the 142 hp.  So with that in mind it kind of threw off my idea of "reasonable expectations".

I was back to the dyno with 2 other concours owners 3 weeks ago. One has a pipe I built with the stock pipe diameter header pipes with a 2 bros slip on. The other has a full area p system. The bike with the pipe I built had incredible low end torque even stronger than the area p system, but from 6000 up the area P system was considerably stronger. The bike with the small tube peaked at 146 and the AreaP bike peaked at 157. These are SAE corrected #, same as my 142 hp. 

So with those #'s in mind, and IF the stock muffler is more of an impediment to power production than the pipe diameter or the CATS in the stock header  then I think it's possible for a flashed bike with a slip on to get to that mid 140's area... 145, 146, 147, right in there. If it doesn't get any more than the 142 I already have, then we're at the point of realizing the peak power with the stock header.

So far with the slip on I can say the bike is fast. It was fast before, too. It's so linear it masks the rate at which it accelerates from low rpm so the butt dyno is less effective. I do feel a subtle climb in power at 5000 rpm that I didn't feel with the stock muffler. Subtle but  noticeable none the less. This could be a good sign. Still, I need dyno data, which I will probably have within a couple weeks, and then after that the area P full system goes on, though I doubt it will stay; I'm really liking  the quiet / fast and don't need to be alerting the men in blue that there's an ICBM tearing up the roads in their area of responsibility  :o :o 

In closing I do want to say this - Guys put on slip ons almost as soon as they buy the bike. 4-500.00 $. Sure there are some weight savings, about 14 lbs, and probably some extra power to be gained, but it absolutely won't achieve the all rpm power gained with my flash. Not comparable. In my mind, putting on a slip on first and then mulling over getting the flash is a bit backwards, because the flash is the obvious bang for the buck winner in that contest. Steve

SISF, thanks for all your scrutinizing and research for interested C14 riders- I'm sure it will pay off handsomely. The only aspect holding me back is the loss of engine braking in the sweepers and twisties. I have developed a riding style that I use extensively in the mountains that involves using 3rd gear and the rear (non-linked) ABS brake pedal to scrub off speed. With the PR4's it works great, and I would hate to lose any of that asset- just sayin', I would hope that the loss is minimal.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
The only aspect holding me back is the loss of engine braking in the sweepers and twisties. I have developed a riding style that I use extensively in the mountains that involves using 3rd gear and the rear (non-linked) ABS brake pedal to scrub off speed. With the PR4's it works great, and I would hate to lose any of that asset- just sayin', I would hope that the loss is minimal.

I don't see why closing the secondary butterflies sooner would cause there to be less engine braking available.  After all, the main butterflies will quite happily shut down engine air on their own.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 06:04:08 PM »
I don't see why closing the secondary butterflies sooner would cause there to be less engine braking available.  After all, the main butterflies will quite happily shut down engine air on their own.

Max, does this mean you didn't notice any loss of engine braking after your Guhl flash?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »
Maxdog,
You are correct.  You do not get 'LESS engine braking'.  It only feels like you do  because the stock flash slams shut the secondaries much 'sooner' and not gradually (and not controlled by YOU).
  You will get used to Steve's flash  right away and you will become  a much  smoother  and a better rider when you use your throttle to control the engine  braking which is the way it SHOULD BE.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline bob h

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
Can someone enlighten me as to why engine braking is lost with the flash?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
Max, does this mean you didn't notice any loss of engine braking after your Guhl flash?

Nope.  You do have to let off the throttle a little more than before, but the same amount of engine braking is still there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »
Can someone enlighten me as to why engine braking is lost with the flash?

It isn't lost, hence my posts :)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 05:04:30 AM »
Engine braking isn't lost, but the perception of it does change a bit.

In stock form, the throttle is very twitchy, and a small amount of rolling off the throttle leads to a pretty hard feeling of decelleration. This is because the secondaries restrict intake airflow, and they have more impact than the primary throttles in a throttle roll-off.

Post flash, there is a considerable increase of lower rpm torque, and the natural reaction is to use it, primarily by riding at lower rpm in a higher gear. Couple that with no more throttle twitchiness on roll off, and the "feeling" is a loss of decelleration braking. As others have said, you will kind of "relearn" how to ride the bike. You don't have to manage the twitchy throttle, and the bike is easier to ride. After a few days everything is right in the c-14 world... and better than pre-flash. Steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 05:18:10 AM »
This has been a fun read so far. I take delivery of a "new to me" 14 today. Hopefully I can ride it a bit today although there is snow in the forecast. I hope to ride it at least a little before sendin the ECU off to Steve!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1