Author Topic: Zx14r throttle bodies, other stuff  (Read 9288 times)

Offline srech77

Re: Zx14r throttle bodies, other stuff
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
I do. I need them.

This is my story.

:finger_fing11:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
I appreciate the responses ... and there is no "I want it now" mentality really - what I'm really trying to do is homework on the front end, to help make things easier down the road. It actually just seemed like more of a cool project than anything. All of this "do you really need it?" and "what's it for?" nonsense seems axiomatic - anyone who loves bikes loves to tinker with them, and modding is just a part of ownership. No one needs an aftermarket exhaust, no one needs a turbo, no one needs this or that.. we all do those things because it's our passion and we like to work on bikes and make them our own.

I don't absolutely have to do anything to the bike ... but since I'm new to this bike, I assumed coming to the forum and talking to people who have logged thousands of miles on this bike would be the best place to to start, and forums are often very helpful. As soon as I pick the bike up, I will have a 8-10 hour trip on it as-is to get home, so I think it will be a good time to get acquainted with the bike out on the road.

My initial plan (or thinking) was to do something similar to other listed here - full area P or other system, air filter, tbs, and pcv+at combo ... it seems like the tbs can be picked up fairly cheap, so it seemed like a decent project. If it's not worth doing, than I wouldn't mess with it... that's what I was trying to get some answers here on the forum..

Good answer!!!
Particularly the : anyone who loves bikes loves to tinker with them, and modding is just a part of ownership.
                      Your reply is a good definition of what we call, "Farkelitis"..

(Being old/slow/lazy) I personally choose to install Steve's Flash in my C-14 as many report it does almost as much as all the mods, and you don't have to go thru the trial and error. I'm VERY happy with it.
Steve's flash probably will give you 7/10's of what you will get from doing the whole boat, and it's targeted at the lower rpm range, where most of us ride.
(like most) I don't ride to the top of the bikes capability so this suited me perfectly.

Many do the entire deal; intake/exhaust/ etc etc etc...
I say good for them!

On the Forums, we often see New Guys that just bought a C-10 or C-14, and want to do the entire boat.
 ( but don't know what their getting themselves into)
That was why folks were asking questions of you and offering the comments.
  (You seem to have a pretty good handle on your plans)..

Keep asking questions.
Now that we know a bit more about you, replies will be easier to do.

NOTE: Many install the ZX-14 exhaust instead of the higher $$ aftermarket.
          Not quite the peak power of aftermarket, but inexpensive and easily available.
          As you sound like a tinkerer, you might want to consider this option.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
So with a full exhaust, zx14r tbs, SISF flash, air filter... then adding a PCV+AT - can't you just load a map that gets you "close," then the purpose of the autotune is to do the fine tuning for your specific riding conditions?

Yes, that should work- if you get the autotune option (which in this case would make a lot of sense).
But you probably don't really want/need to spend money on an ECU reflash if you are also going to put in a PCV+AT.  It is a bit redundant at that point (it is typically one or the other).  Although some would argue, it probably makes more sense to pull the flies instead.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline srech77

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Yes, that should work- if you get the autotune option (which in this case would make a lot of sense).
But you probably don't really want/need to spend money on an ECU reflash if you are also going to put in a PCV+AT.  It is a bit redundant at that point (it is typically one or the other).  Although some would argue, it probably makes more sense to pull the flies instead.

Right .. but I know that the flash can make the bike smoother, and make little tweaks that the PCV - which is just A/F - cannot. On my Yamaha, the full ecu flash could do all sorts of things - reduce engine braking on decel, adjust timing curves, air/fuel, throttle response, closed-loop fueling, disable o2 sensor, remove top speed limiter, adjust rev limiter, etc. - But I agree, they do overlap in some ways. That was the only reason I had suggested doing a flash AND a PCV+AT, but trust me, I would much rather not spend the money on both lol.

The flash obviously seems easier, and it would be. And it may be a little ways down the road - I'm guessing the first things I will have to address on bike, if anything, will be more along the lines of seat comfort, windscreen, top case, risers, highway pegs, etc... As much as I like wrenching on motors, I am looking to make this bike more comfortable than fast, so we'll see.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
Looks to me like you are doing your research well and will be successful whatever path you take :)  We also look forward to your postings/experience with all that you try!

Like you,  I always go for safety (additional lights, reflective stickers, etc) and convenience (seat/pegs/handles/heat/windscreen) mods first.

There is no shortage of things you can do to/with the C14- it is an EXCELLENT platform for making what is already a great bike even in just about every way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »
All I can respond to at this time, is if the list of modifications you intend to do to a bike you don't even own yet, nor have ridden, come to fruition..., I wasted a lot of time answering warranty questions for you. That's gonna be a moot point according to your planned mods.
I only say I wasted effort, because I see the replacement of parts that make a difference in the warranty, not the exhaust, or the flash, but when you slap ZX efi on, and something happens... that warranty is not gonna work.

Best of luck on your future bike build, understand there is more to making this stuff all work together, but when someone comes around, and asks for a little bit of input, and then says they can tinker, and have the skillset to do these things, we often find an endless stream of how do I make this work.. and many people will attempt to help again.. you need a serious backround on all these systems, and a history of being able to analyze and find solutions, and carefully co ordinate an intricate set of variables on a bike never owned yet..... but the end result is still, and always will be, cool ideals and wishes about awesome performance, unless you are capable of making the things work, on your own and do the experiments, on your own,  and suffer the torments of failure or glean the enjoyment of success
Are pretty much an excercise in futility.  Please, don't take this as a put down, but I and many of us, have seen a pattern of people come and pick brains about stuff, and some are sincere, and have success.. many are just dreaming about the worlds most awesome bike.

Again,.let us know when you actually have the bike, and have put a couple thousand miles on it (not 500...), and can make some better assumptions of what you "feel" it really needs, as opposed to assumed needs.

Ride safe man,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline srech77

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »
I wouldn't say you wasted your time with warranty questions... Like I said I am just doing homework. I may end up getting a flash and nothing else - I may end up getting nothing. Never hurts to try and plan things out and have a little fun dreaming.

Just a simple "hey just FYI putting different tbs on will void the warranty" would be sufficient. The whole "we've seen plenty of your kind" bit is pretty unnecessary. I'm not a punk kid, I'm a veteran motorcycle rider ...

But yes, that's valid - I will be giving the bike an earnest effort in stock form. I've always had good luck with Kawasaki in the past, I'm definitely looking forward to this one!

Offline srech77

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 08:38:09 PM »
Looks to me like you are doing your research well and will be successful whatever path you take :)  We also look forward to your postings/experience with all that you try!

Like you,  I always go for safety (additional lights, reflective stickers, etc) and convenience (seat/pegs/handles/heat/windscreen) mods first.

There is no shortage of things you can do to/with the C14- it is an EXCELLENT platform for making what is already a great bike even in just about every way.

Appreciate that max - I'm excited about the bike, and it's been fun looking at accessories - definitely ready to get some saddle time before this winter arrives!