Author Topic: Poor performance and then noisy engine.  (Read 2701 times)

Offline LT South Africa

Poor performance and then noisy engine.
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
Hi guys, my bike has been standing for a couple of weeks. We have had stormy weather here. On Thursday I took it out to have a front tyre fitted. And then parked it off at work again. Today I really wanted to ride it home especially since it now has a new front tyre. I rode about 1 km to the mall to pick up some things. When I stopped I had smoke coming up from the engine. Seems the time standing allowed some oil to drop onto the exhaust. Not to worried I did my shopping and then drove about another 1km to the highway for a 30 km drive to my turn off. About 6 km into the drive the engine started loosing power. Thinking I again have water in the system, a problem I had a couple of weeks ago, I turned off the highway and headed back to the office on a back road. Wanting to feel the problem I pulled the clutch in and reved the motor to about 7000rpm. Suddenly the power seemed back. But, then the engine sounded as if the exhaust had come off the manifold. I haven't had time to take the plastics off and have a look yet. But maybe somebody here can identify with this. I must say, although now very noisy. The bike suddenly feels as if it has loads more power than before. I still think I had water in the system, but can't help but think that maybe something was blocking my outlet and this has now released itself. Any thoughts ?????
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:37:28 AM by LT South Africa »

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Poor performance and then noisy engine.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
I think you might need to buy a new engine now.

I am not a genius, but when you see engine leaking oil, smoke, water or hear any unusual noise, etc, you should immediately stop and find the cause. NOT ride the bike more and then rev the engine to 7000 rpm!!!!!!!!!!

take the plastics off and look then report back.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
DC is right. Probably should have looked when it smoked.

Header nut may have come off.
Hole in exhaust or muffler gaskets for other possible noise.
Is it still Smoking??

Is it still making better power???

Ted

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
So I took the plastics off after work. The smoking is caused by a oil leak through the tappit cover seal. I know about this and I am waiting for replacement seal from Japan. It was a 5 week back order three weeks ago.

I found my inline filter was blocked and had some water in it. My original pet cock was butchered by a previous owner and is pretty much only there as a supply of fuel from the tank to the carbs. Nothing works on it at all. I do wish I could figure out how to make my own filter in the tank. I'm still thinking this one through. Any advise?

Before everyone shouts hydro lock. I have an electronic cut off switch, which I installed last year, right up against the fuel inlet at the carbs. It's connected to my run switch and only activates when I place the run switch in the on position. And I absolutely never stand the bike on the side stand. Ever......

The noise is caused by a leak in the right side exhaust. Where the two pipes from the head merge into one. It's a type of crevice which will easily hold water causing rust if the bike is not used for any period of time. I will be taking both exhausts off, welding the damaged one and checking the left one.

Whilst doing this. I remember in the 80's guys use to take their silences off and decoke these. I have never done this or even seen how it's done. Any advise?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:36:43 AM by LT South Africa »

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
I am still wondering about the sudden surge in power and performance now that the exhaust has hole in it. Could it now be releasing a formerly over supply of back pressure? Could my silencers be blocked and I didn't realize this? Or is there any other logical explanation?

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
As I said . Took of the pipes and found a hole. Repaired as best I can. But, on further investigation my suspicion was confirmed. The right exhaust at the beginning of the silencer is blocked. Pretty much chocking the outlet gasses. See pics attached. I tried to loosen this with little success so far. It's as hard as stone. Any advice? Caustic soda? Blow torch? Then, zoom in on the exhaust valves just visible.  They are also covered in residue. How do I clean this?

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
Pics of repair. Blocked silencer and residue on exhaust valves

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
I'm going to wire brush the header exhaust pipes down and recoat with heat resistant black while it's still off the bike.