Author Topic: 2016 C14 ... Comfort, or lack thereof  (Read 4395 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2016 C14 ... Comfort, or lack thereof
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
Maybe some bikers will, most motorcyclists won't.
Never could understand why so many noisemakers want to be surrounded by other noisemakers. Is it a support group kinda thing?

I probably would have left well enough alone and stuck with the stock pipe if:
1). It was a foot shorter and not shaped like some freakin' weird appendage.
2).The V&H sounds much better than a Hog at five grand IMO, and also scares deer and small children out of the way. 'Nuff said, Fred.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »
Is it a support group kinda thing?

Echo chamber?  :stirpot:
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »

I can think of a 3 letter word, that I yell at harley riders,

Just because they ride Harley's, Rich?  Or for some other reason?

It's very rare someone leaves their bike totally stock.  I know with my C14 comfort, I went with a Russell Seat, taller wider screen, Heli-bars, heat modifications and I still had pain riding it.  With the Indian, the only things for comfort I added were extended reach bars and tear drop foot rests on the crash bars and I don't hurt anymore.

As far as sound goes, I always had issues with wind noise unless the screen was totally up and yes, I'm one of those that went with an Area P exhaust because of the sound and weight savings.  I have a factory modified exhaust on my Indian that is loud but not obnoxiously so.  And yes, all of us riding Indians even with the stock exhaust, are a bit on the loud side, but I've found that with the Indian and it's loud exhaust, I don't seem to need ear plugs like I did on the C14 and it's wind noise.  I've started wearing a 3/4 helmet that even with the screen down, I just don't have the noise affecting me like the C14 did.  And by the way, the electrically operated stock screen on my Roadmaster is perfect for me unlike the stocker on the 08 C14.  I can't tell you how many screens I went through on that bike.

I also think, before we start painting with the broad strokes, stereo types of riders of other brands,  you may want to start walking in their shoes to see what it's really about, like I did.  I find them just as friendly as the sport touring group of people if not friendlier.  The Indian groups and HOG groups across the country support many many charities and organizations.  We're not the 1%ers.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
In one of the many threads from the past, I think there was dyno showing stock exhaust+ tune vs
slip on exhaust + tune.
The slip on added an extra 4hp.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
In one of the many threads from the past, I think there was dyno showing stock exhaust+ tune vs
slip on exhaust + tune.  The slip on added an extra 4hp.

There have been various claims, and some actual data, probably averaging in the 2-3hp range.  BUT that is only at WOT and at a flow rate that matters, which is probably at least 6K RPM (if not much higher).  So muffler replacement is a big "meh". (I like that word, something a millennial taught me...).  The stock exhaust system (which includes the muffler) was [well] designed together as a unit.  The muffler is not limiting the flow, nor is the midpipe.  It is the whole system- including the headers.  This isn't the 70's/80's/90's anymore :)

To get any meaningful performance difference would require replacing the entire exhaust system (which some people do, but be prepared to spend a lot of money) and tuning the FI to match.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
My first sport tour bike was my ‘91katana1100. After a long ride ( 8 hours) my hands hurt a lot . I replaced the hand grips with gel grips, would ride with finger less gel gloves , with regular gel infused gloves over them. After a ride, I’d still be doing double dose of Celebrex .
In fact, my body hurt so much that I got the Connie in hopes it’d be better or else I’d just stop long trips altogether .
As stated before, it was all perfect . But now, I can say it is as good as any bike can be.its worth mentioning that you should have good gear . I have some riding boots with foam inserts and they feel
much better than tennis shoes. My heavy, ugly as hell cordura riding outfit is uncomfortable when walking around but when I’m planted on the bike, feels pretty good.
My shock settings gave great handling but felt a little too firm . When I replaced the worn out Seargent seat with a new kawa touring seat , it felt perfect- the seat had more Cush to filter out the road before it reach my rear.
My latest comfort mod is two pairs of bamboo pajama bottoms. I’ll wear them under the cordura pants
and they do great at being a comfort layer when going through Texas this July.
I looked at other bikes this year and there is nothing that can replace it. With my Shad 50 trunk, not even a new gold wing can match its cargo capacity. The fjr has that electronic suspension but I’m not crazy about that tech, much happier with can of whumpass that my flashed bike has.
Don’t forget that any discomfort you have on trip might more likely due to staying in the same position than the bike itself. With that in mind, looking for the perfect bike might be futile.
I feel much better going on a long ride than sitting coach class middle seat for 14 hours.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:02:49 AM by katata1100 »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
Don’t forget that any discomfort you have on trip might more likely due to staying in the same position than the bike itself.

+1

I have a terrible issue with being confined to the same position.  On the bike, in a car, on a plane.... anywhere.  I don't take many long trips, but in any case, I try to stop every hour, get off, and move around and stretch a lot and it helps tremendously.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 04:59:33 AM »
Two Alleve's helped me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.