Author Topic: speed  (Read 24128 times)

Offline rar

Re: speed
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
 I have had the bike a year and have not taken to significant speed but find it really comforitable and smooth at 85 to 90, my daily commuting speed.  Best way to clock your max speed is with GPS.  You can check your max after the ride and it seems more accurate than the speedo.  Irish-14, you had the best answer.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
the speedo's on these C14s are pure crap, and squids are the only ones who blast "top speed" runs.

I'd like to say I'm an angel but i had to see if my C14 would do GPS indicated 155 while 2-up and loaded with our luggage. But I can be a punk ass squid too. squids, go figure. There are teens on sportbikes that act better than us squidly types.

here's the real way to lean a bike and run some speed...  the track. 

CCS/WERA racing is the most fun (see avatar)

but track days and some blue tape is still fun too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
ok back to our "I went XXX fast" on a straight road chatter
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »
There was a previous thread about this that talked about speedo error especially at high speeds and correct me if I am wrong but there was a big mathematical equation used to figure this out or roughly 10% error so if your speedo reads 166 subtract 16.6 = 150 mph.   If anyone remembers exactly what it was chime in.

It's easier to just use a GPS...  ;D

My highest speed recorded to date is 124mph...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Bob

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:40 AM »
I went 66mph once. I was very concerned that I was speeding. But then I realized that the speedometer tends to read a little fast, so I felt better knowing that I probably didn't break the law after all!  ::)

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
I've been up to 110 indicated (probably 70MHP with the speedometer error :) ), but my brother has had her  up to an indicated 130.  He has an M109R and we swapped bikes. we got on the superslab early morning, and at 80 MPH he dropped down a gear and took off! I was like WTF!  :o . I honestly had a very difficult time realing him in and just backed off. When we got to the rest area he had a huge grin on his face and said he had an indicated 13O Before he too backed off. Then he said he was impressed at how smooth she was at speed when he realized there was yet a 6th gear. I had to laugh. He dropped her into the cruising gear at 130. I have to admit this bike is rock solid and smooth as heck on the road. I've seen it posted in magazine articles and I have to agree, "the power on the engine is deceptive. You twist the throttle and hit triple digits before you know it".   
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
I've had my 2010 to 154 more than once - where it hits the limiter.   My GPS showed 154, speedo showed 163. 

Steve's bike is a little faster because he runs a "55" series tire on his.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ManWorkingH3r3

• Blue is the Fastest Color. :-)
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
i'm scared of high speeds on motorcycles   :o

+1

I am actually scared of high motorcycles on Speed...
2001 ZG1000-a14  - a.k.a. Blue Streak  COG#9292

Offline ManWorkingH3r3

• Blue is the Fastest Color. :-)
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
I'd like to say I'm an angel but i had to see if my C14 would do GPS indicated 155 while 2-up and loaded with our luggage.

Pardon me, but, do you still have this Pillion in your life?  My SO does not mind speed as long as it is the 'speed limit'.  Doing triple digits on any cycle with a willing SO is really admirable!
2001 ZG1000-a14  - a.k.a. Blue Streak  COG#9292

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
I've had my 2010 to 154 more than once - where it hits the limiter.   My GPS showed 154, speedo showed 163. 

Steve's bike is a little faster because he runs a "55" series tire on his.

See this I don't understand - the speed limiter theoretically kicks in at 154 mph (correct?) but your speedometer reads 163?  How does the bike know it's going 154 mph then?

Related question, can the speed limiter be overriden (i.e. TRE) and if so, does anyone know what the bike would true out at if it were?

My gsxr 750 will true out at 170 mph in a good tuck.  I haven't done a top speed run yet on the C14.  My home track does not have a long enough straightaway to reach top speed in my gsxr, but I can get in to the 150's no problem.  Maybe I can hit the speed limiter on the C14 there.  I'd want to remove the side cases though - those would both slow the bike and would probably cause high speed instability.

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
There is a speedo on these bikes????  I have just been trying to hit the 10,000 mark on that thing on the right side of the dash.  I figured I would get more points if I could get it to stick there.....
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
I've had my Concours a little over 2 years and I've never taken it over 70 mph.  ::)

I do that in 1st gear on an almost daily basis.

130 indicated on the speedo is the fastest I've done.

Offline Austin

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
If you are going to drive that fast, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and do it on a closed course.  I've been riding for 30 years and have witnessed several motorcycle accidents due to the stupid things that some motorcyclists choose to do.  We have enough to deal with when it comes to the cage drivers not paying attention to us; we don't need our own brethren attributing to the problem.

Too many things can go wrong at that speed, and why?  Just to say you did it?  If one thing goes wrong, it is all over for you.  Maybe you will be lucky enough to be pushed around in a wheelchair the rest of your life.  Who knows, but it isn't worth it.  Someone compared it to climbing Mount Everest, but the glory is no where the same.  Climbing Everest requires extreme skill, excellent judgment, preparation and team work.  Pushing the limits of a motorcycle only takes the twist of the wrist.  It isn't honorable, and on a public road it should never be respected.

I'm saying all of this to hopefully save your life.  I had two riding buddies die when I was riding with them.  One was doing over 100mph (rear tire fell apart), the other guy chose the wrong time to make a left turn.  The later died right there in the middle of the road in my arms.  Both of these incidents occurred years ago when I was much younger.  I learned from those incidents, and today I am still riding, while my two good friends are no longer able to.  Every time I pass a motorcyclist on the road, no matter what kind of bike they are driving, I see them as my brethren.  It is always very upsetting to me whenever I hear of a motorcycle accident.

Please always ride safe and defensively, while exercising extreme caution.  If you ride like this, there is a very high probability you will be riding well into your senior years.

God Speed,

Austin
2010 Kawasaki Concours ABS
2010 Kawasaki Versys

Offline gflint

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
155 - 08 Concours
112 - 09 Versys
155 - 01 Triumph Sprint
65   - Derby 150cc Scooter - down hill with a breeze

The scooter scared the bejesus out of me.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
Why do people climb MT Everest?

Some even as, why do you ride a motorcycle?
Why go that fast, for the rush and to say you've done it.
a bit over 130 on my C14, but I hit 146 in my cage.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Pardon me, but, do you still have this Pillion in your life?  My SO does not mind speed as long as it is the 'speed limit'.  Doing triple digits on any cycle with a willing SO is really admirable!

yes sir, I still have her, she's the same one who rode 2-up with me on Road Atlanta track too on the R1 Yamaha

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
The same reason dogs lick their bawlz, because they can! Go BADGERS!

+1  8)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
funny I read this thread just now. Yesterday I had to make a short trip to a little town near Munich and I took the Autobahn. For some reason (I wasn't really in a hurry) I got all wind up with the gas and even kept the box in 4th or 5th, instead of the usual lazy OD. Thing is, I have a GIVI shield, Motax deflectors and Pirelly Angel's (all things that affect aerodynamic and stability) and when the shield was up I noticed a slight weave from 110 mph and up. It didn't increase in frequency or amplitude, but since I did increase the speed (up to 150 sometimes) it did scare me more. So I went down back to 100 or so and lower the screen completely, and tried again. Result: rock solid. I tried a few times with the same result. I have to mention that I was doing this on an empty A9 from Nürnberg coming to Munich, which is a few good miles straight with 4 lanes.
What's your experience guys at those speeds? do you notice any instability? Steering bearing is correctly adjusted, btw.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
I've had my bike up to around 150ish for very short periods on some very straight stretches of empty road.  I've still got the stock rocks on the wheels and it was perfectly solid, at least in a straight line.  At those speeds though I'm not really paying much attention to what exactly the speedo says, more on very carefully watching the road for things I may not have noticed from further away.
The closest track to me is Summit Point, but I haven't been out there except for some karting once.  Anyone know much about track days out there to find a good place to go nuts on?