Author Topic: Front tire removal question  (Read 10334 times)

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Front tire removal question
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
I remember this information was on the old post, but I have a new tire coming in tomorrow and need a quick answer:

To remove the front wheel, do I need two 22mm axle tools or just one?  My thoughts were leaving the pinch bolts tight on the nut side and then only loosening the bolt side and pulling the axle out that way.  I already have 1 axle tool from my old bike and I suppose I could try this myself, but I figured I'd ask for a quick answer before getting frustrated and having my front axle half-out and unable to get back in!

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
Re: Front tire removal question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
I only use one in the same way you described.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
From what I remember it's loosen the pinch bolts (rt side) and use the tool on the right side of the front wheel.  You want to leave the pinch bolts on the left side tight until you re-install the wheel.   The axle removes from the right side.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
To remove the front wheel, leave the left side tight.  Loosen right side pinch bolts and then remove the axle. 
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »
my 13/16 spark plug socket fits perfectly for the axle.  Thought I'd throw that out there since we are currently starting fresh.
T.S.R.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
My PR3 front finally came in so I followed the advice here and everything went smoothly.  Thanks everyone!

Just to outline clearly what needed to be done (after getting your front wheel in the air of course):

1. Remove the two front bolts that hold the front wheel fender which allows it to tip back far enough to roll the wheel out.
2. Remove both calipers - 2 bolts a caliper (I hung them from bungee cords just to reduce stress on the brake lines)
3. Loosen the right pinch bolts only
4. Remove the axle from the right side, leaving the left side untouched (I already had a 22mm axle driver so I didn't need to try any of the spark plug tricks)

Reverse steps to reinstall! 

I couldn't find the exact torque settings, but on a similar bike setup I found these torque setting which I used:
Caliper bolts: 25ft/pounds
Axle: 65ft/pounds
Pinch bolts: 20 ft/pounds
If someone has the exact Kawi torque settings, please post them.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

Offline rayn

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:36 AM »
These values are from the service manual.

Caliper bolts - 25 ft. lbs.

Axle bolt - 94 ft. lbs.

Pinch bolts - 15 ft. lbs.

2010 C14 ABS
2015 GL1800 ABS

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »
Thanks!  I guess I better tighten up that front axle a bit!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
My PR3 front finally came in so I followed the advice here and everything went smoothly.  Thanks everyone!

Just to outline clearly what needed to be done (after getting your front wheel in the air of course):

1. Remove the two front bolts that hold the front wheel fender which allows it to tip back far enough to roll the wheel out.
2. Remove both calipers - 2 bolts a caliper (I hung them from bungee cords just to reduce stress on the brake lines)
3. Loosen the right pinch bolts only
4. Remove the axle from the right side, leaving the left side untouched (I already had a 22mm axle driver so I didn't need to try any of the spark plug tricks)

Reverse steps to reinstall! 

I couldn't find the exact torque settings, but on a similar bike setup I found these torque setting which I used:
Caliper bolts: 25ft/pounds
Axle: 65ft/pounds
Pinch bolts: 20 ft/pounds
If someone has the exact Kawi torque settings, please post them.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine