Author Topic: Learning from the Bike  (Read 7254 times)

Offline c1obrien

Learning from the Bike
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to get the best mileage from my '09 Connie. On very flat slabs my "Current" mileage is usually best in OD. I mostly ride in rolling hill country, and I notice mileage actually improves going up and down hills in 5th gear. It seems OD doesn't like even modest hills. I understand getting better mileage in 5th going up hills, but why would 5th gear indicate better mileage than OD going DOWNhill? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm averaging around 39mpg, which seems in line with what a lot of guys get from this bike. What techniques could I use to bump mileage up riding in rolling hills?

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Learning from the Bike
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
I've noticed an improvement in mileage on my '08 since I've gotten past the 10k mile mark.  My last trip, I averaged 46 for the first time.  (Trip before that average was 42) That was a combination of twisties in north Georgia and interstate getting there and back.  I run 75 or so on the interstate.  As soon as I got home, riding in town, the average started to drop.  My bike is completely stock.

Offline gflint

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
Remove the bags, remove the trunk, lower the windshield and lay down on the tank bag.  Your mileage will go way up.  You mileage at higher speeds (over 50 mph) is very dependent on drag.  I have no doubt 50 mpg is possible in this manner.  It just lacks in certain practical aspects.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
To heck with loosing the bags, etc.

If I would just drop 50 lbs of beer gut I would get better mileage. ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
To heck with loosing the bags, etc.

If I would just drop 50 lbs of beer gut I would get better mileage. ;D

:yikes:

No way, that's where I draw the line...  ;D

Offline gflint

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Losing the beer gut means losing the beer.  ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?  I just took the bag off the rear of the bike and my milage went up by 5 mpg.  She now has her own bike.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I just took the bag off the rear of the bike and my milage went up by 5 mpg.  She now has her own bike.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
A big windshield creates a lot of drag- I am using a 6+ Calsci and MRA visor on top of that and it is like riding with a barn door on the front of the bike.

I took the bike out for a quick ride without the windshield last summer and from 50 MPH on it was like riding a different bike. The acceleration and ease of gaining speed was really impressive.

I think the best way to make a C-14 more aerodynamic is to buy a ZX 14.

Brian

Remove the bags, remove the trunk, lower the windshield and lay down on the tank bag.  Your mileage will go way up.  You mileage at higher speeds (over 50 mph) is very dependent on drag.  I have no doubt 50 mpg is possible in this manner.  It just lacks in certain practical aspects.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Z71

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
I get almost exactly 39 MPG average.  And that's in flat Florida.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
I have stopped worrying about mileage.  I really don't care if my bike gets 36 or 42 mpg, it just means that I have to put $20 worth of 91 octane in, about 20-30 miles sooner.  I know that I am getting 3 times better fuel economy than with my expedition, so riding my C14 saves me over $70 a week in fuel costs.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »
I have stopped worrying about mileage.  I really don't care if my bike gets 36 or 42 mpg, it just means that I have to put $20 worth of 91 octane in, about 20-30 miles sooner.  I know that I am getting 3 times better fuel economy than with my expedition, so riding my C14 saves me over $70 a week in fuel costs.

+1 to that, if the weather is crap I'm driving my V10 F250 and getting 7 mpg...  :banghead:

A belated happy birthday to ya Jeremy!  :chugbeer:

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:21 AM »
man at least i have a 38mpg corolla to drive when its crappy outside....... :o

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

+1 to that, if the weather is crap I'm driving my V10 F250 and getting 7 mpg...  :banghead:

A belated happy birthday to ya Jeremy!  :chugbeer:
If and When I get a truck, it's going to be a diesel. My neighbor has his own bio diesel still on his property and gasses up for penny's on the dollar.  He actually pays the local burger joint to siphon off their waste oil. I don't know how legal it is for him to do it; but no one gives him any issues. He uses it in is boat too - cheaper then marine diesel. He's converted me to thinking diesel is the way to go.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
If and When I get a truck, it's going to be a diesel. My neighbor has his own bio diesel still on his property and gasses up for penny's on the dollar.  He actually pays the local burger joint to siphon off their waste oil. I don't know how legal it is for him to do it; but no one gives him any issues. He uses it in is boat too - cheaper then marine diesel. He's converted me to thinking diesel is the way to go.

Why would it be illegal to use waste veggie oil to run a grease burner?  There are lots of guys that do it to save money on fuel.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to get the best mileage from my '09 Connie. On very flat slabs my "Current" mileage is usually best in OD. I mostly ride in rolling hill country, and I notice mileage actually improves going up and down hills in 5th gear. It seems OD doesn't like even modest hills. I understand getting better mileage in 5th going up hills, but why would 5th gear indicate better mileage than OD going DOWNhill? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm averaging around 39mpg, which seems in line with what a lot of guys get from this bike. What techniques could I use to bump mileage up riding in rolling hills?

I commute 35 miles a day each way through the rolling hills of northern VA and tend to average spot on 40 mpg doing roughly 60mph most of that.  Instantaneous mpg on most vehicles is pretty unreliable since usually it's not actually measuring fuel flow, but calculating air mass flow based on throttle setting and rpm and then roughly converting that into fuel usage based on some assumed fuel mix ratio.  Lots of room for error using that method.  Not sure if that's how Ki-Pass does it, but it might be. 

Depending on your traffic conditions, if you are willing to accept slowing down a little in the uphill, you can vary your speed and get a few extra miles, letting gravity work in your favor.  If you're really trying to hypermile it, you can always tuck in behind a big truck and throw out a rope!

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Why would it be illegal to use waste veggie oil to run a grease burner?  There are lots of guys that do it to save money on fuel.
I live in NJ the land of litigation. If they can figure out a law against it here they will. Mostly revolving around some politicians friend or family member looking to make a few bucks picking up waste oil. Making it illegal for an enterprising citizen from doing it themselves.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline jonathan

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »

Usually because you don't pay any taxes on veggie oil and the government wants their cut from the road users.