Author Topic: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing (decided to get one)  (Read 8401 times)

Offline jamiemac

Checked out the redesigned Goldwing (decided to get one)
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
Sat on a couple, and fiddled with the buttons. Seat seems comfy. Couldn't really get a good idea of foot peg placement and comfort. They offered me a test ride, but I'm not quite up to that yet. It appears smaller than the previous gen model that was parked close by. Also, it's supposed to be 100 pounds lighter. Looking forward to a test ride when My knee and shoulder are a little stronger. They're good looking machines.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:26:05 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline eng943

Re: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing at the dealer, today
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
I've looked at it myself. Impressive, but not interested. Too much bike, I want less weight not more.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
Sat on a couple, and fiddled with the buttons. Seat seems comfy. Couldn't really get a good idea of foot peg placement and comfort. They offered me a test ride, but I'm not quite up to that yet. It appears smaller than the previous gen model that was parked close by. Also, it's supposed to be 100 pounds lighter. Looking forward to a test ride when My knee and shoulder are a little stronger. They're good looking machines.

I'm not quite ready for a double-butt Old Wing for 30k..

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
I'm not quite ready for a double-butt Old Wing for 30k..
I wouldn't have been. Crashing my Connie and effing up my knee made riding a sport tourer a no-go. Plus, the Wing is available with airbags. No more faceplanting into minivans.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
I've looked at it myself. Impressive, but not interested. Too much bike, I want less weight not more.

Me too. That's why I went with a Multistrada. But now having put about 13,000 miles on the Multi, it is too top heavy. Almost 200 lbs lighter that the C14 but feels heavier pulling it off the side stand. Thinking about looking at something lighter but with a lower center of gravity. My son's FJR is only 40 lbs lighter than the C14 but feels smaller and lighter. Way easier pull it off the center stand than the Multi. IDK, maybe I'll take a look at the new Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:06:26 PM »
Me too. That's why I went with a Multistrada. But now having put about 13,000 miles on the Multi, it is too top heavy. Almost 200 lbs lighter that the C14 but feels heavier pulling it off the side stand. Thinking about looking at something lighter but with a lower center of gravity. My son's FJR is only 40 lbs lighter than the C14 but feels smaller and lighter. Way easier pull it off the center stand than the Multi. IDK, maybe I'll take a look at the new Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.
They had that Yamaha at the dealer I was at. Neat looking machine.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:06:05 PM by jamiemac »

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
Man, the pearl white Goldwings look good. I really like that one. Unfortunately, no airbag in that color. I'm not finding any clear info on when the 2019 models will hit the dealers. Maybe more colors will be available?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
Man, the pearl white Goldwings look good. I really like that one. Unfortunately, no airbag in that color. I'm not finding any clear info on when the 2019 models will hit the dealers. Maybe more colors will be available?

Looks like the rider has less room than on a c14.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
I was sitting about an inch in front of the backrest shelf on the seat, and I go about 6'0" and 220. The stuff I've been reading says the rider has been moved forward about an inch and a 1/4, compared to the old wing. I'd say, without actually going for a ride, it was a little roomier than My Connie. I'll know better when I test ride one. If it feels cramped, that'll be a big turn off.
 There's a lot of negative stuff out there, being written by Wing riders who love the old wing. I understand they like the big ol flying couch, that'll hold Ma and Pa's entire lifetime of stuff. I've said to my friends more than a few times, "If they put the Goldwing on a diet, shave 100 pounds off, give it a little more power, and update the electronics, I'll consider buying one." Well, they did all of that, and upgraded the suspension to boot. Also, that DCT transmission is something of which the time has definitely come.

Offline eng943

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »

I wonder if the seat height of the multi is contributing to that feeling of being top heavy?

Tracer looks interesting. I'd love to see an MT10 version.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
I wouldn't have been. Crashing my Connie and effing up my knee made riding a sport tourer a no-go. Plus, the Wing is available with airbags. No more faceplanting into minivans.

Sorry Jamie, didn't realize that you were injured-my bad.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
Sorry Jamie, didn't realize that you were injured-my bad.
No need for apologies, My friend. I value all opinions. I pretty much feel the same way. I admit. I'm a little shook up by the crash, and the airbag system gives me a little mental comfort.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »

We own both bikes and my wife's biggest, most loved item on the Wing is the seat.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:34 PM »
No need for apologies, My friend. I value all opinions. I pretty much feel the same way. I admit. I'm a little shook up by the crash, and the airbag system gives me a little mental comfort.

Definitely completely understandable.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 06:04:09 AM »
We own both bikes and my wife's biggest, most loved item on the Wing is the seat.

How about you in the pilot seat? I've not sat on the wing so I have no hands on experience.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »
I think the only drawback to the new wing is the lack of Android support. All the other features seem improved over the old wing except
storage. Still it would be rough spending over $25,000-$30,000 and looking at all that useless apple $tuff on the dash and your android phone on the handlebar holder.

When my warranty expires and the first expensive maintenance bill is at hand, my C14 may be replaced by a new/slightly used wing. It would be nice  to be able to simply walk back out  of a downhill parking spot (with reverse) when I'm in my 70s.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
I think the only drawback to the new wing is the lack of Android support. All the other features seem improved over the old wing except
storage. Still it would be rough spending over $25,000-$30,000 and looking at all that useless apple $tuff on the dash and your android phone on the handlebar holder.

When my warranty expires and the first expensive maintenance bill is at hand, my C14 may be replaced by a new/slightly used wing. It would be nice  to be able to simply walk back out  of a downhill parking spot (with reverse) when I'm in my 70s.
You just reminded me of something. When I had that crash a while back, my phone was in a RAM X Mount. It was flung across the highway. Luckily, it is an Active model of the Samsung Galaxy S7, and it's fine. The point being, I think I'll be carrying my phone in my jacket pocket from now on. I wasn't really in a situation where my phone would have been any help, but if I'd had a single vehicle crash in a rural area, and needed my phone, it would have been tough to find.

The Apple Car Play thing. I'd consider getting an old Ipad for using with it. Hundreds of them on Ebay.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
You just reminded me of something. When I had that crash a while back, my phone was in a RAM X Mount. It was flung across the highway. Luckily, it is an Active model of the Samsung Galaxy S7, and it's fine.
Did you have one of those rubber band thingys on it, or just the X-mount?

https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-Security-Support-00-90001-00/dp/B014GW7KJ6

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
Did you have one of those rubber band thingys on it, or just the X-mount?

https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-Security-Support-00-90001-00/dp/B014GW7KJ6
Just the X mount, but the handlebar was torn off. LOL. Grippy thing wouldn't have helped. The doc thinks, that because of the bruising and soreness in my left palm, that I tore the handlebar off!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Just the X mount, but the handlebar was torn off. LOL. Grippy thing wouldn't have helped. The doc thinks, that because of the bruising and soreness in my left palm, that I tore the handlebar off!

:o .....And people wonder why we don't recommend tying the c14 down with the handle bars.