Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133663 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2016, 05:23:17 AM »
better looking too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2016, 05:36:36 AM »
better looking too.

That is very subjective.  I think the Gen2 is better looking.  The only major "looks" difference are the side fairings.  (With minor ones being the tank top case and mirror heights.)

It's all in good fun. BUT, Gen 1's are not speed limited as are all the others. 

Certainly true, but most people don't know or care and it is easily undone when the ECU flash is performed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2016, 05:51:54 AM »

I have the speed limiters off on my flashes.

funny story - I flashed and sent a man his ECU back and he emailed me, seemed a bit miffed that I had taken the top speed limiter off... he hadn't asked for that. I told him to just dial it back a bit if he found himself accidentally exceeding 156 mph  :yikes: :yikes: Steve

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »
  I have the speed limiters off on my flashes.

funny story - I flashed and sent a man his ECU back and he emailed me, seemed a bit miffed that I had taken the top speed limiter off... he hadn't asked for that. I told him to just dial it back a bit if he found himself accidentally exceeding 156 mph  :yikes: :yikes: Steve
that's funny

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »

I have a Gen 2 bike and Steve's flash so my bike's not "speed limited" any longer ;D!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
I have a Gen 2 bike and Steve's flash so my bike's not "speed limited" any longer ;D!

Only P/whipped limited.. ;D

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »

Only P/whipped limited..

:rotflmao: So True!  :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
LOL

Not from anywhere I have seen... there really is no Gen 3 yet.  (The few paltry changes made a few years hardly count- same bodywork, same instrumentation, same drivetrain; at least not in my mind)

I think that the '15-'16 (and probably the '17  :P ) have enough changes to warrant a Gen 2.1 designation. Most changes are backward compatible but the amount of work required to get the lower 1st gear ratio earns it the .1 designation in my book. We haven't heard much about the change in the linked brakes from folks that have ridden both. I'd like to hear more opinions from those that have experienced both. (in a new thread please) I wonder if one can simply replace the ABS pump with a newer model to get the change in linking action? ($1200.00  :yikes:, never mind ) I personally have found that (understanding that windshields, like seats and bar heights are very subjective) the Gen2.1 windshield is a very noticeable improvement and if the change in brake linking and lower first gear ratio are comparable in scope, then yes 2.1 seems warranted IMO.

Just to be accurate, I believe they (Gen 1s) are speed limited, just at a higher speed than the Gen IIs, 300kph vs 250kph (186.4mph vs 155.3mph). Yeah I know, moot (and all in good fun  ;D ), since it's doubtful that it would go that fast even if unencumbered by a limiter...but it is limited just in case someone with ZX14 heads and full area P and stock flash finds a long downhill straight with a 50mph tail wind   ::) .

OOPs, Sorry Steve, extensively off topic here.
(but for the record I didn't start it. This time.  :) )

So to return to topic, yes I said I'd get my reflash in December, and I still haven't done it yet....it is gonna happen. Now I think I should first get my valves adjusted again, and (It's time ODO 47000+) new spark plugs, and a throttle body balance first, so the reflash can really shine.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
I had assumed the 15 and 16 models were considered Gen 3's but maybe not. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the 17 model at IMS this next November to see if it's a new Gen!

I'm taking the "ball and chain" with me so she can see what the new bike looks like too and then we (or she) can decide :-[ on which model to buy after we see what's what!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
I think that the '15-'16 (and probably the '17  :P ) have enough changes to warrant a Gen 2.1 designation.  [...]

Agreed.  There are a few interesting changes.  But the number and impact of the combined changes seem pretty minimal compared to everything that happened in 2010.  2.1 seems reasonable.

The big question is this- if the '17 is a total redesign, would that be a "Gen 3" or something even more extreme?  It is one thing to change mirrors, storage, some panels, adding computer functions, changing dash lights, windshield memory, fuel modes, etc.  It is another to change ALL the panels, the seat, all the instrumentation, the brakes, the bags, the wheels, the suspension, the throttle, the injection system, the transmission, the lights, etc.... the type of changes we are likely to see... where few parts are even interchangeable anymore.  I guess we will see.  What makes it hard is that whatever it is, it will like still be a "1400" and a "Concours" or "GTR"... thus, a Concours14 (or GTR1400).

So to return to topic, yes I said I'd get my reflash in December, and I still haven't done it yet....it is gonna happen. Now I think I should first get my valves adjusted again, and (It's time ODO 47000+) new spark plugs, and a throttle body balance first, so the reflash can really shine.

Quit waiting- when I had Ghul flash my ECU, it was a major WOW... one of those "OMG, *NOBODY* should keep the stock secondary butterfly behavior" revelations.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
I had assumed the 15 and 16 models were considered Gen 3's but maybe not. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the 17 model at IMS this next November to see if it's a new Gen!

I'm taking the "ball and chain" with me so she can see what the new bike looks like too and then we (or she) can decide :-[ on which model to buy after we see what's what!

Glad to see you are still fully restrained and P/whipped. ;)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
Glad to see you are still fully restrained and P/whipped. ;)

Totally!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
I am ready to ship mine off, it's in a box and I sent Steve an email.  I hope I didn't hose it up. I had the ECU out and keyed on the bike, it got an FI error, duh.  I meant to open the tank and pour more gas in it as I just replaced the fuel filter, but absentmindedly keyed it on, no clue why.  It did start and run fine after the fuel filter replacement and before I yanked the ECU.

And btw, I unlinked my brakes within several months of buying it (June 2013?).  I just put a rear brake line from a 2009 on it, ran it from master cylinder to caliper and plugged the ABS lines, done deal.  I actually noticed an issue with it recently after all this time.  With what I did, I lost ABS on the rear, I don't care.  But it still has the front and rear wheel sensor and when the rear locks up, you can feel it kicking out/stuttering the pressure on the front.   That's the software being dumb, not sure why it does anything to the front when the rear is locked up.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
I am ready to ship mine off, it's in a box and I sent Steve an email.  I hope I didn't hose it up. I had the ECU out and keyed on the bike, it got an FI error, duh.  I meant to open the tank and pour more gas in it as I just replaced the fuel filter, but absentmindedly keyed it on, no clue why.  It did start and run fine after the fuel filter replacement and before I yanked the ECU.

And btw, I unlinked my brakes within several months of buying it (June 2013?).  I just put a rear brake line from a 2009 on it, ran it from master cylinder to caliper and plugged the ABS lines, done deal.  I actually noticed an issue with it recently after all this time.  With what I did, I lost ABS on the rear, I don't care.  But it still has the front and rear wheel sensor and when the rear locks up, you can feel it kicking out/stuttering the pressure on the front.   That's the software being dumb, not sure why it does anything to the front when the rear is locked up.

Seems to me you are playing with fire here. Man, I wouldn't be messing with the ABS, just sayin'.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2016, 06:44:25 AM »
Seems to me you are playing with fire here. Man, I wouldn't be messing with the ABS, just sayin'.

I did it because I use my rear to tighten my line in a corner when needed.  And I use the front to trail brake into a corner and ease off the brake while rolling on the throttle once I am sure my corner speed is appropriate.  When the brakes are linked, you completely lose that functionality and the bike is not doing what I tell it to, I am reacting to/managing what it decided to do.  I hate that with a fire that burns very brightly.  I didn't pay this much for a new motorcycle for it to tell me what to do.  If you like yours, good for you.  You paid the money, it's only fair you should be happy.  I have done a lot of mods but that is by far my favorite. 

I did the mod 30,000 miles ago and I have ridden it all over the country in every imaginable condition and most times in an sporting manner.  That 'fire' got put out a long time ago.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
I did it because I use my rear to tighten my line in a corner when needed.  And I use the front to trail brake into a corner and ease off the brake while rolling on the throttle once I am sure my corner speed is appropriate.  When the brakes are linked, you completely lose that functionality and the bike is not doing what I tell it to, I am reacting to/managing what it decided to do.  I hate that with a fire that burns very brightly.  I didn't pay this much for a new motorcycle for it to tell me what to do.  If you like yours, good for you.  You paid the money, it's only fair you should be happy.  I have done a lot of mods but that is by far my favorite. 

I did the mod 30,000 miles ago and I have ridden it all over the country in every imaginable condition and most times in an sporting manner.  That 'fire' got put out a long time ago.

I happen to have the more desirable 2009 'unlinked' ABS system which works great in the twisties- just cram on the rear brake as hard as you like to scrub off speed w/o fear of lockup when trail braking. This works perfectly to tighten and line up the bike before entering the corner, and I understand now that's why you altered your system. 

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
To me, in this particular case, the 2010 model was a downgrade because to unlink my brakes, I had to lose ABS on the rear.  It was a price I was willing to pay and I am still glad I did it but your system stock is better than mine, stock or modified.   Thanks, Obama!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
Let's keep the politics out of C14 boards..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
I use the front to trail brake into a corner and ease off the brake while rolling on the throttle once I am sure my corner speed is appropriate.  When the brakes are linked, you completely lose that functionality

I don't agree with that statement.  When you use the rear linked brake, there is more rear brake force than front brake force, so you CAN still perform trail braking.... it is just not the same because it is not "pure" rear-only.  I would call it "marginalized."  And the C14gen2 has two linking modes, high/strong and low/weak...  Some people (and I am not saying you) don't even realize they are in the high/strong mode and that will further marginalize the rear braking independence.

I am really not all that pro linked brakes because I do believe that Kawasaki implemented it poorly by not allowing the user to choose to turn it off (or at least offer more levels than just 2, with additional weaker levels available)... it would be a simple software change.  But I am not against it either, I think some people over-exaggerate the negative effects and it can be useful for many people.