Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133699 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
I took a vote, and all of the people that paid for the bike thought it sucked, so I changed it. And I like it a lot better now.

Believe me, I tried it. I would apply rear brake only and then, midcorner it would put on some front and the forks would dive and upset the bike. It's so much better for ME now.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »
I took a vote, and all of the people that paid for the bike thought it sucked, so I changed it. And I like it a lot better now.

Believe me, I tried it. I would apply rear brake only and then, midcorner it would put on some front and the forks would dive and upset the bike. It's so much better for ME now.
:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
  absolutely - the Decel flash is a real rider's flash, so it stands to reason I would build from it. Steve

Is a full AreaP flash available? If so, is it developed to have a full AreaP exhaust with no PC-V or other fuel augmentation system?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »
Rhino, I think it's in beta testing right now.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »
Rhino, I think it's in beta testing right now.

I've been planning to get his flash but now I'm thinking of going whole hog and getting full AreaP with flash at the same time and skipping PC-V.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »
If your flies are still in that would be so best move.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
If your flies are still in that would be so best move.

Yup, flies intact.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
I am finally able to comment more, I have had various issues and not ridden a lot. 

It's way faster and smoother. Not sure how much the slip on added and I don't mean power, it just feels more nimble because it lost so much weight from high and to the rear.

I nearly had it get away from me last night.   I was passing 2 cars on a country road (individually). Went around the first guy, no problem. Stayed in the left lane to see farther so as to decide if I could make the 2nd pass.  A car popped up over the hill but it was a ways off, so I could do it but I needed to be aggressive.  I was doing maybe 60 or so, in 3rd gear, so I was right around 5k or so, square in the meat of the power. I pinned it and it accelerated so hard from just behind the truck to in front that I had to really get it over and get on the brakes.  The person I was heading towards was an old lady, it turned out, so she was super cautious and pulled over a bit.  Also, I think that my headlights influenced her a tad as they are 55W HID and are 'surface of the sun' bright.  But it turned out riskier than I had planned because of the level of acceleration, it reduced my closing time more than I expected.  The road was crowned too, so the whole thing went from 'fun pass' to 'sketchy pass' in a hurry.

The true test is Sunday.  My riding buddy/road trip pal has a 2011 Multistrada.  We rode together maybe 5 weeks ago, way warm for that time of the year so we blew off things we should have been doing and rode 200 miles of twisties.  This is all pretty far out in the sticks and it's between cornfields that are not up yet (getting to the twisties), so it's an ideal spot to drag race.  We raced multiple times, all rolling in first gear at moderate rpm so that getting off the line wouldn't come into play.  We must have done it 5x, from 15 mph to 100+, dead even every single time.  Somebody got a bit better jump each time but once we both got to WOT, the gap never changed.  So we ride this Sunday, same roads, we'll see how it does.  This really is the best test imaginable on how much top end difference the flash made.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
Is a full AreaP flash available? If so, is it developed to have a full AreaP exhaust with no PC-V or other fuel augmentation system?

is the full area P flash done? well, yeah,really it is. I'm going to Chris Jones Dyno monday the 25 to test a couple versions, but I had it out this past weekend testing the new maps and it's pretty wicked. Now I will tell you this... my flash is going to look rich on the top because it's tuned with the ram air, and the dyno can't simulate it. the real power will be higher, than the dyno runs, so y'all are going to have to wrap your head around this... do you want the map that looks the best on the dyno, or the map that performs the best? Steve

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
... do you want the map that looks the best on the dyno, or the map that performs the best? Steve

Yes!

;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
  is the full area P flash done? well, yeah,really it is. I'm going to Chris Jones Dyno monday the 25 to test a couple versions, but I had it out this past weekend testing the new maps and it's pretty wicked. Now I will tell you this... my flash is going to look rich on the top because it's tuned with the ram air, and the dyno can't simulate it. the real power will be higher, than the dyno runs, so y'all are going to have to wrap your head around this... do you want the map that looks the best on the dyno, or the map that performs the best? Steve

Excellent! I just talked to the good folks at Area P and am now on the standby list for the next production run for full exhaust systems for the C14. They told me the next run in about 2 weeks is committed but they do frequently get some drop off the list. If I'm lucky enough to get on that production run I would like to time sending my ECU out with installation of the exhaust (some time in the first part of May I'm guessing). If I'm not on that run, the next run is in 10 weeks and I will wait until after my planned long ride this summer to get on another production run.

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
I have been flashed by Steve and I liked it.
I'm 72 years old and fighting some heart health problems. Been riding since 1968 or 69. Thinking about selling the bike because the fun/grin factor just wasn't there any more. Bike (2008 C14 ABS) is a great bike but just wasn't fun to ride any more. Missed the thrill from my old Suzuki's gs750 and gs1100. The c-14 just didn't do it.
The IRS returned some of the money they took from me and I emailed Steve. Shipped the ECU Tuesday and it was returned Saturday.
Just back from the test ride and holey sh## .
Everything good that's been said about Steve's flash is true. Low speed throttle response and smoothness is amazing. No more jerky off idle. Smoother shifting, stronger midrange. Feels like an honest to goodness 1400cc bike now. I ordered the Decel option and glad I did. On - off throttle feels like a real motorcycle now.
The fun is back, guess I'll keep[ the old girl for a few more years.
Thanks Steve,

Bob Skinner

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »
Excellent news Steve!
Let me know when you are ready to start flashing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2016, 08:41:30 PM »
I have been flashed by Steve and I liked it.

I know *I* wouldn't want to be flashed by Steve.  My bike, on the other hand might want to...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »
Steve I have a question regarding your flash, is it compatible with overseas C14 [in Australia it is called a GTR1400].I have a 2014 model, but I noticed you guys run 91 octane fuel where as in the Australian model a sticker on the fuel tank states 95 min octane to be used.
I use 98 octane BP ultimate which gives best power, throttle response  and economy which I have tested against varies 95/98 octane fuel brands.
P.S.,I have sent you an email regarding cost of including postage and insurance for the Deceleration flash.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
I believe I remember reading that octane is computed differently in different markets/countries.  I can't imagine the fuel requirements of the engine vary from place to place (other than based on altitude) so I am guessing that is why the sticker would be different.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:55 AM »
I believe I remember reading that octane is computed differently in different markets/countries.  I can't imagine the fuel requirements of the engine vary from place to place (other than based on altitude) so I am guessing that is why the sticker would be different.

I believe this is correct.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2016, 06:51:04 AM »
Steve I have a question regarding your flash, is it compatible with overseas C14 [in Australia it is called a GTR1400].I have a 2014 model, but I noticed you guys run 91 octane fuel where as in the Australian model a sticker on the fuel tank states 95 min octane to be used.
I use 98 octane BP ultimate which gives best power, throttle response  and economy which I have tested against varies 95/98 octane fuel brands.
P.S.,I have sent you an email regarding cost of including postage and insurance for the Deceleration flash.

i haven't gotten any email from you to date, might want to try through my website, shoodabenengineering.com  And as far as I know all the c-14's have the same physical makeup engine - wise, so the fuel needs would be compatable across the line.

I think this will cause a stir, but I do not find the higher octane to produce better power or throttle response. It is a good safety measure for the engine though.  thanks, steve

Offline smokin

« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks Steve I received the email in relation to my enquiry. Just wanting to know does the flash effect the operation of "ECO MODE", traction control or self diagnostic systems of the ECU?
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »
Thanks Steve I received the email in relation to my enquiry. Just wanting to know does the flash effect the operation of "ECO MODE", traction control or self diagnostic systems of the ECU?

not at all. Steve