Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133994 times)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2016, 11:57:43 PM »
Meh, that would start a discussion about the optimum length of the kick start lever, what sort of tip it needs, et al.  I couldn't take it.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kennqc

« Reply #301 on: June 02, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
OK, a little background here. I have an '09 ABS, fairly low mileage.  for the last two years for medical reasons have not ridden it much.  finally I am able to ride, got it ready to go a few weeks ago and it rides fine.  I have been mulling over an ECU flash for years and just have not felt i could do it but this thread convinced me. got mailing instructions from steve and sent it off priority last thursday. I figured he might get it on saturday, holiday weekend so work on it tuesday, mail on Wednesday. Nope, got a tracking number on Tuesday and picked it up today, pretty amazing service!!  So, feeling very excited like a kid with a new toy, i unwrapped the ecu and headed for the barn all set to get it installed and get on the road.  installation went pretty easy, went back to get my fob and No Joy! the red light is slow flashing on the display but key will not turn. so, out it came , reinstalled and same results.  I knew the battery was brand new and it had been running fine prior to the flash so out of desperation i emailed steve. 'bout an hour later steve called and we headed out to the barn.  when i described what happened or did not happen, he immediately proclaimed it to be a keypass problem,  Ah man, just what I expected from a dealer who did not want the responsibility of a failed flash, after all , it was working before i took it apart and not working after i reinstalled it. this was a classic case of panic and the random intersection of two events leading to an assumption of causality. when something like this happens i am usually pretty good at eliminating possible causes before jumping to conclusions.  Steve merely suggested trying my spare fob or replacing the battery and sure enough the connie roared to life.  my hat is off to steve, great speedy service, immediate response to a problem, and immediately able to correctly diagnose the problem and propose the correct solution.  After a brief ride up the highway my impression is that it shifts smoother and has more pep.  will let you know after my next trip. Kudos to Steve!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #302 on: June 02, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
Yeah Ken that was an easy one, but until you go through some of the oddities of kipass, I think most owners end up with a head scratchin' event at one point or another.  Steve

Offline Bunk

« Reply #303 on: June 03, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »
Don't you mean the powah of Kipass?
VStar 950 > GL1800 > Concours 14
Candy Cardinal Red (Best Color) Cee Bailey Ultra-Tour - Helibars Risers -Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawi Top Box - Phil's Farkles Luggage Rack - Ram Mount with FingerGrip Phone Cradle - Sena 20S - Schuberth C3

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
Just did a thousand miler over the last several days and am very impressed over the Flash.  One day I got 55mpg with no loss of power and riding two up!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
Went to Road America for the Superbike weekend.  It always involves some impromptu "racing" on the backroads.  My buddy has a ZX14.  I felt like I was keeping up with him much better than in past years.  Once as I went to WOT from about 30 mph, the back tire was on the paint stripe and the back wheel spun up before grabbing some traction and launching.  Never had that happen before.   :yikes:  There was no doubt about the extra power in the lower rpm ranges.  Fun multiplied.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »
Went to Road America for the Superbike weekend.  It always involves some impromptu "racing" on the backroads.  My buddy has a ZX14.  I felt like I was keeping up with him much better than in past years.  Once as I went to WOT from about 30 mph, the back tire was on the paint stripe and the back wheel spun up before grabbing some traction and launching.  Never had that happen before.   :yikes:  There was no doubt about the extra power in the lower rpm ranges.  Fun multiplied.

I had the  '06 ZX14. Just so much more comfortable and confident on the Connie than I ever was on the ZX.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline smokin

« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
Question for Steve, does your flash or have you developed a flash to compensate for when the secondary flies are removed?
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Steve's flash is for flies in. I don't believe he's going to do a no flies flash as he uses them to optimize performance.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
There really isn't much point to reflashing the ECU if the secondary butterflies have been removed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #310 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
What do you do with the subthrottle valve actuator after pulling the secondary flies? Disconnect or does it continue to function in futility?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #311 on: June 21, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
This is not the thread for fly pulling. Pull your flies somewhere else please! We are flashing ECUs in such a way as to discourage the pulling of flies.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #312 on: June 21, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
Actually there are huge helpful threads on fly pulling.
Just do a bit more searching.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »
This is not the thread for fly pulling. Pull your flies somewhere else please! We are flashing ECUs in such a way as to discourage the pulling of flies.

Actually there are huge helpful threads on fly pulling.
Just do a bit more searching.

What they both said...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #314 on: June 21, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »
Ha. Impressive display of synchronized PMS.
Did I inquire about some aspect of flyectomy or fly fishing........
I know, I know you don't want any distractions from your laser focus on ECU flashing. My bad....
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
Or just start a new thread.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2016, 04:55:14 AM »
 ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
It is.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG