Author Topic: Forks topping out or fairing noise on road bumps?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline dhidaka

Forks topping out or fairing noise on road bumps?
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »
My '05 C10 (17K) has a very noticeable noise coming from the front of end when the front wheel travels over a series of bumps or breaks in the road. I sounds like the forks are bottoming or topping out, but the noise is actually originating from the fairing area. I can hold my hand on the instrument panel area when I go over a bump and the noise is not as loud. Watching the forks travel over bumps I am confident that the forks are not the problem. Fairing is mounted solidly, but I am thinking that something is not correct inside the assembly. Does anyone have a similar experience? 15w fork oil freshly installed.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Forks topping out or fairing noise on road bumps?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
There is a pair of tube shaped brackets that come together at the steering neck know for working its way loose and or breaking and while the cowling main frame still has 4 other mounting bolts holding it still it can and will make some noise...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »
There is a pair of tube shaped brackets that come together at the steering neck know for working its way loose and or breaking and while the cowling main frame still has 4 other mounting bolts holding it still it can and will make some noise...

What is the best way to visually check for the problem that you state? Do I start removing the fairing and that is the last thing I will see?

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
I can see the fairing brackets looking from underneath with a flashlight. All brackets seem tight and in place. I did notice that there is looseness in my headlight when I tap it with the palm of my hand. I can think of no other cause of the front end noise I am experiencing. So, I put a piece of tape over the lens to secure it place temporarily. I will take my C10 out for a test ride in the morning. Hopefully this is the cause.

I could not see what secures the whole headlight assembly in place. Can you help?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:17:25 PM »
Noise could be the steering head bearings (if the headlight or fairing bracket isn't the problem).  My first thought while reading your 1st post was steering head.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »
Noise could be the steering head bearings (if the headlight or fairing bracket isn't the problem).  My first thought while reading your 1st post was steering head.

Good thought indeed! A loose stem bearing will in fact clunk... Also know that the gauge cluster is another that is known to make clunking noise due to its rubber mounting system.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:58 AM »
That was the problem on my C10....steering head bearings loose.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
If it's the steering head bearings, wouldn't you also feel the clunk with your hands?  I've got the same noise.  Can't find anything loose but I haven't tried holding the instrument cluster, yet.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
I can see the fairing brackets looking from underneath with a flashlight. All brackets seem tight and in place. I did notice that there is looseness in my headlight when I tap it with the palm of my hand. I can think of no other cause of the front end noise I am experiencing. So, I put a piece of tape over the lens to secure it place temporarily. I will take my C10 out for a test ride in the morning. Hopefully this is the cause.

Your headlight assembly should not be loose. The headlight assembly is fastened to the fairing with 4 hex head screws. You may be able to access the screws if you pull your tank and the inner fairing pieces. I can't say for sure as I have never had the need to do so.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
Problem solved! It is a loose headlight bucket. Lower left screw was not tightened. The screw was slightly cross-threaded from the factory and only tightened half way. Not easy to access in order to tighten. There is still a very slight amount of road bump noise coming from the fairing area and I cannot immediately access the upper bolts to inspect them. So, I am assuming that maybe an upper bolt might also not be tightened all the way. I will have to check later. Meanwhile my C10 is much more enjoyable to ride.

(I wonder why the original owner didn't have the dealer look into this. Surely, he did not think the ride noise was normal.)

Thanks everyone for your input. Nice to have a forum to communicate with other C10 owners.