Author Topic: Speaking of fobs (yep, KiPass thread!)  (Read 947 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Speaking of fobs (yep, KiPass thread!)
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
Went to a local Kawasaki dealer recently and looked at both a new and used (2016) Concours 1400. When talking about the used one, I asked if it came with both fobs. The salesman checked the 'key rack', pulled out the baggie that had the keys in it and said No. OK, I said in that case a second fob has to get rolled into any potential deal because they are expensive. Then he looked at the baggie that went with the new bike and said it also only contained one fob. Hmmmmm. I asked to see it and yep, there was the RF fob in with the RFID or emergency fob and key, all in the baggie. Then I asked to see the baggie from the '16 and it also had a full sized, full function fob in addition to the RFID fob and key.

I mention this only because it shows that even an experienced dealer' salesman just is not familiar with the smaller points of KiPass and it is in a potential buyer's best interest to do a little research and a bit of learning when buying any vehicle with an electronic access system, which is most autos but not yet the majority of motorcycles. I am not faulting the dealer in the least here, it is not reasonable to expect him or anyone to know all the details of the access systems of many different models and makes. And this dealer sells a few makes with some real key quirks such as Ducati (do NOT lose the red key!) BMW and others.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

Re: Speaking of fobs (yep, KiPass thread!)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 02:36:22 PM »
Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned but I find it extremely annoying when a salesperson doesn't know about the products they are selling.  If I know more, what's their purpose other than to collect a commission?  I expect some value-added in exchange for the extra money I'm spending so they can get a commission.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned but I find it extremely annoying when a salesperson doesn't know about the products they are selling.  If I know more, what's their purpose other than to collect a commission?  I expect some value-added in exchange for the extra money I'm spending so they can get a commission.

I know what you mean.  Any complex or important purchase, I research first.  It seems rare there are sales people that know as much as I do coming in, and it is frustrating.  Worse are sales people that simply lie or make up stuff.  I would much rather get an "I don't know" or "I will find out for you."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
2010 and newer models only came with one fob & the emergency fob. 2008-2009 came with 2 fobs.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
Yep, true enough though I believe they are both fobs, at least that is what Kawasaki calls them.

The key point (pun mildly intended) is to remember that a C-14 missing a fob should have it replaced, and that can be expensive, ranging from ~$100 for a RFID fob, the key that goes with it, getting the key cut, and programming the bike to recognize the new for to ~$400 for a new RF for, the key, the key cutting and again programming the bike to recognize the key. Lots of used and wrecked bikes out there and a lot of them are coming to the new owner with either one fob or no fobs (!!). I know this because I get all kinds of requests for a KiPass bypass, which does not bypass KiPass but rather the KiPass activation switch.

Brian

2010 and newer models only came with one fob & the emergency fob. 2008-2009 came with 2 fobs.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 06:34:23 AM »
Yep, true enough though I believe they are both fobs, at least that is what Kawasaki calls them.

Exactly what I was going to say.  They are both fobs.  One is active and passive RFID, the other passive-only RFID.

>"The key point (pun mildly intended) is to remember that a C-14 missing a fob should have it replaced[/quote]

And we have seen a significant number of posts of people buying C14's and being supplied with only a single fob, occasionally even new ones from dealers.  So it is good advice.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc