Author Topic: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque  (Read 21035 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
My dealer didn't even look at my low battery warning before they called Kawi to get my replacement approved.  Now I just need for the dealer to figure out how to get the sensors to communicate with the bike.  I bet one of you on here could tell me what my dealer did wrong.  ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
The original sensors work fine for a while, a couple of years in my case and I ride all year (to temps. well below freezing). Once the batteries have some age but are not finished yet they begin to exhibit this 'low battery' quirk when it is cold or even cool out. Say below 60 F or so.

You are right in that it is not a deal killer but it starts off as annoying and progresses to very annoying after a while. I have had the low battery warning from both sensors multiple times per day for weeks and resetting the warning over and over again gets old.

New sensors come with new batteries and that solves the problem, at least for a while. I expect the new sensors will exhibit the same 'low battery' warning after a couple of years whenever it gets cold but at least the problem is taken care of at the moment.

As far as the warranty replacement goes, for quite a while Kawasaki was replacing them with no questions asked. Lately though they are resisting and saying that the warning screen is temp. related and "normal" until the bike warms up. Mine were replaced under warranty last year but if they were currently doing that same thing and I got resistance about replacing them I would resist back. In my opinion this is their problem and is not normal behavior. The bike should not show consistent warnings just because it is not high summer. The root problem is not Kawasaki's but because they included this product (from a company named LDL in France) on a C-14, they become responsible to repair any faults. Again, just my opinion.

Brian

If the "low" temp is the issue, then will a new sensor solve the problem? I think not unless they have a completely redesinged unit for replacement. Or is the low voltage of the battery in sensor exacerbated because of the low temp?  Either way, technically it's not a defect IF the sensor turns on at some point and especially if it definitely is only related to low temps. I've had mine do the same thing on a REALLY chilly morning but it "came to" within a few minutes and it hasn't been that cool since.

I know, it's annoying but it's not a game stopper.

Call me devils advocate if you want.   :stirpot:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
Hey Bob, I'm not laughing with you....  ;D

Even Kirby is shaking his head and he is hard to impress.

Brian

I'm curious how a mummified rat manages to shake his head. Wouldn't it snap and fall off? But you probably would just glue it back on and claim it never had trouble!  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
The dealer needs to program the KiPass ECU to recognize the new sensors. There is a number on the sensor that the dealer will need to program into the KDS software and of course, into the bike. If the dealer did not write that number down before installing the sensors they will have to take off the wheel(s), break the beads and take off at least one side of the tire to gain access to the sensor and then write down the number. It is a common oversight.

Brian

My dealer didn't even look at my low battery warning before they called Kawi to get my replacement approved.  Now I just need for the dealer to figure out how to get the sensors to communicate with the bike.  I bet one of you on here could tell me what my dealer did wrong.  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 06:45:54 PM »
The service manager mentioned that they have to re-flash the ECU as part of the process of replacing the sensors.  Will that re-flash effect my PCV?  I can unplug it before it goes in the shop, but I'd rather not take the fairing off if I don't have to.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
No, it will not. The Power Commander and the KiPass ECU are two different devices and changing something / anything on one will not effect the other device.

Brian

The service manager mentioned that they have to re-flash the ECU as part of the process of replacing the sensors.  Will that re-flash effect my PCV?  I can unplug it before it goes in the shop, but I'd rather not take the fairing off if I don't have to.

Bob

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

It shouldn't. They only need to address the new TPS sensors. It shouldn't effect anything else!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
The dealer needs to program the KiPass ECU to recognize the new sensors. There is a number on the sensor that the dealer will need to program into the KDS software and of course, into the bike. If the dealer did not write that number down before installing the sensors they will have to take off the wheel(s), break the beads and take off at least one side of the tire to gain access to the sensor and then write down the number. It is a common oversight.

Brian

They wrote down the id numbers but they couldn't get their computer to communicate with the ECU.  They are supposed to be calling Kawi tomorrow and hopefully will have my problem fixed this week before my long ride this coming weekend.  If they can't do it I won't loose any sleep, but it would be nice to have everything in tip top shape.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
Just my personal opinion but these things (KiPass ECU's) are unique to the C-14 and most dealers don't see but a very few of them, and sometimes only one. It is natural in my opinion for anyone new to stumble through the learning curve. As long as someone is making an honest effort, and it sounds like your dealer is doing that, I generally don't fault them too much or ride them too hard. All of that said, a call to Kawasaki should square everything away pretty easily so I would think it would be done w/in a couple of business days (all together, not a couple of days of continuous working on your TPS issue).

Brian

They wrote down the id numbers but they couldn't get their computer to communicate with the ECU.  They are supposed to be calling Kawi tomorrow and hopefully will have my problem fixed this week before my long ride this coming weekend.  If they can't do it I won't loose any sleep, but it would be nice to have everything in tip top shape.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »
BDF, I absolutely agree that while under the warranty period (or extended) that this detail (and all other valid issues) should be taken care of without hassle and with a smile. But I'm thinking that perhaps this unit's design parameters are going to exhibit the same behavior and this is perhaps what they are now starting to realize, thus the perceived change on how they are changed out.  While I really like this feature I will not pay $300+ to replace them when I'm out of warranty, but I might just try to solder in a new battery, and if that doesn't work then again it won't be a game changer for me.

But, the big variable here seems to be the dealer that calls it in, just how he describes it and evidently the other factor is who the dealer rep talks to at mama Kaw.  And just maybe the "status" of the dealer that calls it in comes into question as well, as I do know that some dealers are flagged as "dubious" when they fail to follow warranty policies properly (holding the faulty parts for X amount of time, for one example).  At least that is what Bill at American Honda told me during the last century.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
I agree with you that it might be a temporary fix but nevertheless, it is the only fix available, at least under warranty. If any one of us hacks up the original TPS sensors and then tries to go back to Kawasaki with any TPS problem, I think we all know where that is going. As the original sensors do not have replaceable batteries, and Kawasaki says that the 'fix' for battery problems (they do not specify what problems) sensor replacement is the only factory acceptable option.

Now, as far as replacing the batteries, it is no problem. The battery is a standard although the leads welded onto them are not standard. Still, you can have custom leads welded onto new batteries for a few dollars or you could just buy the right battery with generic leads and solder those leads to the TPS sensor. Just cut the old battery out of the sensor and solder the new one in place. I would use the housing itself as a fixture to hold the new battery in the correct place and position as it was being soldered in place; there is not much room inside the housing for a misplaced battery.

This is what it looks like open, and I have more photos if you want.

Brian

BDF, I absolutely agree that while under the warranty period (or extended) that this detail (and all other valid issues) should be taken care of without hassle and with a smile. But I'm thinking that perhaps this unit's design parameters are going to exhibit the same behavior and this is perhaps what they are now starting to realize, thus the perceived change on how they are changed out.  While I really like this feature I will not pay $300+ to replace them when I'm out of warranty, but I might just try to solder in a new battery, and if that doesn't work then again it won't be a game changer for me.

But, the big variable here seems to be the dealer that calls it in, just how he describes it and evidently the other factor is who the dealer rep talks to at mama Kaw.  And just maybe the "status" of the dealer that calls it in comes into question as well, as I do know that some dealers are flagged as "dubious" when they fail to follow warranty policies properly (holding the faulty parts for X amount of time, for one example).  At least that is what Bill at American Honda told me during the last century.

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the info guys
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but my sensors have to put up with A LOT of centrifugal force  :o and frankly I'm amazed at how well they work considering the forces they are subjected to, extreme heat, crazy cold, ridiculous bumps, major whallops, small animal impacts (and not so small), etc.

They probably are worth every penny.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
Well, Kawasaki gets something like $150 for each sensor. For less than $175, you can get two sensors, a pair of 90 air stems, and the receiver and display unit. Check this out: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=73&products_id=421

Now seeing as Kawasaki buys their sensors from the same source as Murph (directly or indirectly from LDL), it seems that there is a large mark- up along the way. And as these prices are all retail, we can be assured that Kawasaki is paying significantly less for each sensor.

Again, it is not that I disagree with you here, just that I think a constant warning display or any other significant problem under the warranty period is the mfg.'s problem. Kawasaki supplied me with the final product and a warranty on that product so they are responsible for proper performance. Same thing with warped rotors: warn out rotors are my problem, warped rotors are on Kawasaki as long as the bike is under warranty. All in my opinion of course.

Brian

I don't know about you guys, but my sensors have to put up with A LOT of centrifugal force  :o and frankly I'm amazed at how well they work considering the forces they are subjected to, extreme heat, crazy cold, ridiculous bumps, major whallops, small animal impacts (and not so small), etc.

They probably are worth every penny.

Offline landofahhs

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I jus' sits
    • Taylor Town
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
I had the same BS with the dealer I bought my Connie from in Ponca City, Ok....he gave me some crap about "if the TPS warning goes out after 10 minutes...".    Long story short, I was up in Wichita at a Kawasaki dealer getting a price on tire replacement and they brought up the TPS warning telling me Kawasaki had sent out a bulletin to the dealers about the defective batteries in the TPS units.  They replaced the TPS free when I replaced my original Bridgestones (only 7500 miles) and I've not returned to the Ponca City dealer for anymore service.  I hate dealers who give you no respect after you spend your hard earned cash at their dealership...fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me...

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:42 PM »
I replaced my original Bridgestones (only 7500 miles)

Off topic, but wow, 7500 miles? I just hit 3400 miles today.  The front tire is worn through the tread pattern on the left side and down to the wear bars on the right side.  Back tire is ok, but it looks worse than my buddy's Pilot Power with far more miles on it.  Also have vibration just above 100mph now.
"You serious, Clark?"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
My dealer hasn't worked on a C14 besides mine so I'm sure that the learning curve is quite steep.  I had to inform them about how the Kipass worked.  What they lack in knowledge on the C14, they make up for with customer service.  One of the mechanics did break my glove box where two screws hold it to the brace on the tank, so I will have to talk to them about that. 

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:31 AM »

<snip>

I absolutely agree, on this board we've seen everything from my experience with mama Kaw saying "that's normal" to Jeremy's experience with the service manager not even seeing the malfunction before he replaces the sensors.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »

I absolutely agree, on this board we've seen everything from my experience with mama Kaw saying "that's normal" to Jeremy's experience with the service manager not even seeing the malfunction before he replaces the sensors.

I think the biggest thing that helped me out was the fact that I know much more about the C14 than the dealer.  So they took my word for it and just ordered my parts and slapped em on.

Offline Skins

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
If the "low" temp is the issue, then will a new sensor solve the problem? I think not unless they have a completely redesinged unit for replacement. Or is the low voltage of the battery in sensor exacerbated because of the low temp?  Either way, technically it's not a defect IF the sensor turns on at some point and especially if it definitely is only related to low temps. I've had mine do the same thing on a REALLY chilly morning but it "came to" within a few minutes and it hasn't been that cool since.

Kawasaki put this TPS and data display center on the C14. The TPS and many other parameters are now available to us on the display screen. When the TPS generates a FALSE "low battery" warning, the parameters we have become accustomed to are no longer available. Let me be clear... the lack of TPS data is not the concern. The concern is that NO data is presented on the display for 15 minutes.
This is what is referred to as an egregious violation of RISK MANAGEMENT. Kawasaki has taken responsibility to provide us with this information on the display when we use the motorcycle. Once that information removed due to a poorly designed part, they are liable for any accidents, damage, or death that occurs.
The sensor on the 2008 has been obsoleted and is no longer on the bikes. The false battery indication is caused by the characteristics of the lithium passivation layer batteries. The designers should know about this. It is common knowledge for electrical engineers.

If you think I am upset... your darn right I'm upset.