Author Topic: Rebuilding a C14  (Read 43434 times)

Offline Alex_V

Rebuilding a C14
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »
Well, hi to the locals. New guy here. Not new to bikes, had all kinds in the past. First Connie just picked up. She needs some work, so I figured I will blog about it. So after 1800 mile drive bike was back in my garage in Atlanta. Me and my buddy drove all over picking up a car trailer, then Connie, then Formula Ford car, and back to ATL.

She was previously salvaged. I got the bike for a song fully anticipating few things that need to be fixed.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:21:48 PM by Alex_V »

Offline Alex_V

Few pics of the damage
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »

Offline Alex_V

Stripping her down
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
Next day she went for initial evaluation. Something was binding the forks. That was kind of worrying. I was hoping to avoid having to deal with a bent frame. So, first we need to get to see what hides under the plastic.

Some home made bracketry rendered electric windshield unoperatable. That is not going to be cheap…. Hopefully I can locate a used assembly.

Parts to be replaced are tossed to the side

For day one thats enough. Next is jacking up the front to see what is going on with the forks binding. Also rotors may be warped. Bike pulsated under the brakes when testing in the neighborhood. So thats next.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rebuilding a C14
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »
Welcome, Alex!  I'm going to move this off to the C14 The Bike section.  Sounds like a lot of work ahead of you and thank goodness you do have the fastest color.

One thing to remember when getting parts for these bikes is that with the bodywork panels, nothing comes with it.  Everything is extra so if you can salvage parts from the panel you'll be that much ahead.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Welcome, Alex!  I'm going to move this off to the C14 The Bike section.  Sounds like a lot of work ahead of you and thank goodness you do have the fastest color.

One thing to remember when getting parts for these bikes is that with the bodywork panels, nothing comes with it.  Everything is extra so if you can salvage parts from the panel you'll be that much ahead.

Oh, I am salvaging every bit I can.

Few questions… Where can I get a PDF of a service manual? Or a link to a writeup about fixing a leaky valve cover gaskets? Google and "search" feature has failed me so far.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
We don't support links to bootleg service manuals.  However, if someone here wants to talk to you about that off the grid, then so be it.  You might want to try our brother site in the UK as well...

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php

Very good people there..slightly batty but what can we say... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »
We don't support links to bootleg service manuals.  However, if someone here wants to talk to you about that off the grid, then so be it.  You might want to try our brother site in the UK as well...

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php

Very good people there..slightly batty but what can we say... ;)

Fair deal…

Quick question, how much drag rear wheel should have when on center stand? Mine seems to drag a little. Is that normal? This is my second shaft bike, and I frankly don't recall how much my FJR rear wheel used to drag when free spinning it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
It certainly doesn't freewheel.  I think that they all some drag.  I know mine does.  If you don't see any bluing from high heat, then it should be fine.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »
welcome Alex, I admire your guts to undertake this project. Do keep us posted  :thumbs:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
welcome Alex, I admire your guts to undertake this project. Do keep us posted  :thumbs:

Thanks, it's all fun while weather is sucking.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
So Day two was diving into the front fairing and getting to the valve cover gasket. Pile of parts is starting to grow. Need a bigger garage at some point ))

Fork tubes are removed and examined. Pretty sure triples are f@cked, but forks show no damage. So does the steering head. Good news I guess, but lower triples are ridiculously expensive. Ebay or forums hopefully will get me a straight used set.

Holy hell, how much stuff you have to remove to get to the valve cover. Wonder what a dealer charges for a valve job?

Exercise equipment is getting a good use:

Valve cover in sight

Previous owner had a passion for this bike and its maintenance. Air filter says it all. Wonder what is the mileage on the bike. 15K on stock filter?

After following the manual valve cover is off and valve check adjustment is next. New gasket is ordered and on its way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:31:17 AM by Alex_V »

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
So, this is my peace offering to the board - free Speedo Healer. Not planning to use it. Not sure if it works. Was on the bike and unplugged, so no way to tell. First to claim gets it. You cover shipping.

Offline Speedy

• 2012 Black Connie - Black is Beautiful!!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Hi Alex,

Was this the Connie that was for sale in Blairsville, Ga for something like $3500 on craigs?  Saw it a few times, but I dont have the mechanical expertise (or the stomach) for that kind of repair job.

Good luck to you.

Jay in ATL

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »
Hi Alex,

Was this the Connie that was for sale in Blairsville, Ga for something like $3500 on craigs?  Saw it a few times, but I dont have the mechanical expertise (or the stomach) for that kind of repair job.

Good luck to you.

Jay in ATL

Hi Jay,
This one came from NY state. It is really not that bad of a project once you break it up in small steps. I would of not bought it for 3,5 thought. At that price point you are better off buying a mint used bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
I know that we all look forward to your progress on this project.  Please keep us informed as you progress.  And of course we're always available to help with questions.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »
that's a tempting offer with the Speedo Healer, but I'm planning to use a fatto in casa speedo healer by mounting a 55 profile next year. Now my baby rests in the garage. Snot, snow, white elephant cr@p, what ever you call that cold, wet, slippery thing falling from the sky... it's bound for this week in Munich. Yeah, I'm so happy about it. I'm chewing my socks in happiness...  :banghead:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
Nice thread!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »
So….. today mission was getting valve cover off, and doing a valve check (possibly adjustment). It has been a while since I have done one. Most of my bike wrenching was done when I was racing two-stroke GP bikes (T250's and TZ125's). Luckely my buddy Brian was around working on his race car to keep me in check.

What a tight fit. At one point I even considered dropping the motor out. But that is way more work then I am ready for. So I kept taking bits off until valve cover slid out of the frame side. Shop manuel is pretty helpful. Just need to be patient.

Bike looks like it exploded:

So my current feeler gauges are not thin enough for the task. And a new set is purchased. Was really hoping valves would all be in spec. Well, they are just a hair out of spec on all exhaust valves, and two outside intake valves are out of spec as well. Crap, I guess it has to be done :D

A bunch of bolts and cams are out. They look great, but would get a cleaning and examination just in case. No anticipation of issues there.

Time to do the math. And figure out what shims I can reuse and which ones I need to order. I need 5 new shims. Priced them online… about 9 bucks each. Holy hell, kawasaki….

By the way, there is a mistake (typo) in the shop manuel. Page 68. Mean value on exhaust side is not .125mm but .215mm

Well, thats all for now. Hope to get the gasket in the mail soon and get the necessary shims so I can get motor all back together.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:40 AM »
Few questions:

- Are there any emissions / restriction bits that can be removed that are worth doing at this stage?
- What weight fork oil people usually go with? And how much is needed?
- What weight shaft drive oil is good to use, and how much is needed?

I will look in the book, but sometime people figure out better ways.

So far I gathered this:

Shaft Drive: GL-5 or GL-6 Gear Oil 5.4 US oz.
Fork Oil: SAE-5W 15 US oz per fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
Shop manuel is pretty helpful.

So you now think it might be worth the price rather than "stealing" it?

Love all the photos you are posting!  They are not only interesting, but well-taken.  Quite the huge project.

By the way, there is a mistake (typo) in the shop manuel.
(It is "manual" not "manuel") Well, it is a hell of a lot better written than the horrible owner's manual!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc