Author Topic: Guhl's ECU Flash For The Kawasaki Concours 1400 / GTR 1400...Group Buy?  (Read 73122 times)

Offline jwolffie

Re: Guhl's ECU Flash For The Kawasaki Concours 1400 / GTR 1400...Group Buy?
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
I can confirm we don't have the 02 sensor, I think Asia and European bikes are the only ones which do. Most likely for emission standards and kinda sucks if you ask me.

As for the flash being invalid, I couldn't really say not my area of expertise. But here's what I think and that's just an opinion.

1) The big improvement from the flash is the Secondary Flies opening sooner. I assume this would be the same on both types of bikes. The tweaks to the maps are minor, and if you have the O2 sensor then in theory the bike should take care of that itself. I think.

2) Someone would have to call Don and ask if he saw O2 code in the ECU. Assuming he didn't look, then someone should look up the ECU Part and see if its different on the US bikes vs Asia/Europe. If its a different codebase/flash then it should be a different part to denote it.

3) Assuming its the same....then the big question is.....could Don hack it and enable us to add our own O2 sensor like you do with the Autotune. That would very cool!!!!! But I'm sure that's a pipe dream.

Or someone could ask Fred Harmon on the COG Forum, who's the expert on all this stuff and he probably could call b^!!sh!$ any of this.

The microfiche on Bike Bandit shows 3 different ECM's 21175 A-C

When Don flashed mine I had the option to change:
RPM limit
MPH limit
Fly's open sooner
richer map for aftermarket pipe

On a Europe model the first 3 options would still apply, but with O2 sensors the mixture takes care of itself.

And YES it would be cool if Don offered the option of adding O2 sensors to our bikes.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:26 AM »
- hi stewart.

- are you sure that your US bikes have no O2 sensors ? The reason I am asking is not to argue but because in my part of the world (asia) , our bikes comes with a pair of O2 sensors (one on each branch of the 2-1 sections).

- if Guhl's reflash is US bike specific and what you said about your US bikes is correct, then this reflash will not work non-US machines ?

As stated already, no O2 sensoes on USA bikes.

GUHL has a flash for the C14's with O2 sensors as well. Contact them for more information.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2013, 04:02:09 AM »
From what I recall and it may be with the PC V, you can get an o2 sensor to aid in the adjustments.   Don has worked with this combination and of course it may have been with FredH.  It could also have been with a dual exhaust?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »
GUHL has a flash for the C14's with O2 sensors as well. Contact them for more information.

OK, that surprises me greatly.  Are you sure that is for a non-US bike?  Or is that for a US bike with an aftermarket O2 sensor added being controlled by something else?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2013, 06:26:58 AM »
US bike with aftermarket O2 sensor, PC V.....I think but you would need to talk to Don at Guhl to be sure.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2013, 06:40:48 AM »
OK, that surprises me greatly.  Are you sure that is for a non-US bike?  Or is that for a US bike with an aftermarket O2 sensor added being controlled by something else?

There was someone very early on (may also have been on the other forum) that was on your side of the pond that sent their ECU in.
Now this was a while back and I "may" be not remembering correctly. Either way, contact Guhl. He can set the record straight,
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »
For anybody who hasn't seen Don Guhl (left) or Brock Davidson:

ZX-14R (2012) ECU 'Brock Flash 2' by Guhl Motors
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:28:30 PM by Conniesaki »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Very cool. Thanks.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
Nice! Thanks for posting Conniesaki!

Offline katata1100

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
One thing worth mentioning is the flies still being closed at around 2200rpms. I remember reading about this on another thread and some were wondering why not just keep them totally open.
I can say that the amount of time it takes the bike to go from idle to 2500rpms (or whatever it may be) is less than a blink of an eye. I think at real low rpms (from 1000 -2200rpms) you are really looking at diminishing rewards here as the air flow is pretty low.
I can only think that leaving them closed a little bit was to make for better off idle response (maybe make less "twitchy").
It is 65 degrees outside and sunny- I will ride today and, being in an extravagant mood, will only ride in Guhl mode, not even using eco mode for the 20 minutes that I am on the freeway!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »

It is 65 degrees outside and sunny- I will ride today and, being in an extravagant mood, will only ride in Guhl mode, not even using eco mode for the 20 minutes that I am on the freeway!
Way to take one for the team.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Way to take one for the team.

Well, here's my bit for the team. I used Guhl mode for first half of my ride, then eco for the return. I know there might be some variables to affect numbers and need more time (rode total of 90 miles) but here are my mpg numbers (half of the mileage was on the freeway)
Guhl: 44.7 mpg
Eco : 46.1
I was surprised to see the difference between the two so low, must be some truth to Guhl taking a lot of richness out of the mix.