Poll

Have you had either TPMS replaced under warranty or refused coverage?

Yes - replaced under standard 3 year warranty
25 (31.3%)
Yes - Replaced under extended warranty
9 (11.3%)
No - denied under standard warranty
2 (2.5%)
No - denied under exxtended warranty
0 (0%)
My TPMS are still working fine
32 (40%)
My TPMS is reporting low batt, but have not yet contacted service
12 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: TPMS warranty replacement or denial survey  (Read 8943 times)

Offline c14rider

TPMS warranty replacement or denial survey
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
I have my '08 going in for the brake recall this week and have also asked them to replace the TPMS on both wheels due to low battery display in cooler weather.  The dealer has indicated that below 50 degrees it may take up to 5 minutes for them to get up to temp and in northern, colder climes it may take as long as 30.  A low battery display in those time frames is not indicative of a problem.  He says Kaw will charge back the parts to them if they receive them and they do not test bad within their parameters.  Obviously, the bike did not have any low battery condition under any temperatures for the first two years.  I've been holding off on replacement as long as I can so that I would have the newest TPMS going forward after the warranty expires.

In what I've read over the years, I don't remember many, maybe ANY, that were ever denied under warranty.  Please chime in here and let's see what the statistics are so that I'll have some data to present to the dealer if it becomes an issue.

Thanks!

Offline c14rider

Re: TPMS warranty replacement or denial survey
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »
Oh, and why am I suddenly a Newbie?  I've been posting here for 5 years, albeit not much lately.  I must have missed something!

Offline thundermax

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:10:02 AM »
Right now on colder days after cold night it takes 5 minutes to come on. Will see what they do come warmer weather in April-May next year.
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
I have my '08 going in for the brake recall this week and have also asked them to replace the TPMS on both wheels due to low battery display in cooler weather.  The dealer has indicated that below 50 degrees it may take up to 5 minutes for them to get up to temp and in northern, colder climes it may take as long as 30.  A low battery display in those time frames is not indicative of a problem.  He says Kaw will charge back the parts to them if they receive them and they do not test bad within their parameters.  Obviously, the bike did not have any low battery condition under any temperatures for the first two years.  I've been holding off on replacement as long as I can so that I would have the newest TPMS going forward after the warranty expires.

In what I've read over the years, I don't remember many, maybe ANY, that were ever denied under warranty.  Please chime in here and let's see what the statistics are so that I'll have some data to present to the dealer if it becomes an issue.

Thanks!

One of mine was replaced, under warranty, because it showed the low battery message when cold. The dealer had no issue with Kawasaki.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:15 AM »
Mine are now over 5 years old and working fine. To be specific, in they have been in continuous operation since October 8, 2007 and 92,000 miles. They gave the temporary LOW BAT message during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th winters, but not during the 5th winter or so far this year. The LOW BAT message will occasionally flash on but not long enough to trigger the red light or require a reset.

My research indicates that this is about the passivation layer wearing out. The passivation layer is what extends the battery's shelf life and what causes the false low battery message in cold weather.
I consider the passivation layer a good thing. Now that it is finally wearing out I figure my batteries will soon fail. I plan to solder in some new ones when they do. On the COG forum there is a good thread about converting to snap in battery holder but it seems to me it would be easier to just solder in two new batteries and be good for another 5 years.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Purchased my 2011 C14 on March 2012.  April 2012, rear tire sensor began to read "low battery". Both sensors replaced during 600 mile service, under warranty. 

The one thing I did notice with the OEM sensors was that I did receive an immediate sensor reading when I started the bike. Now, with the dealer replaced sensors, no immediate reading when I start the bike and it takes 1-2 miles before the sensors provide a psi reading. When it colder out, it does take longer to pick up a reading.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Static

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
Just had mine replaced under extended warranty. They were also replaced a year ago under the standard three year warranty. No questions asked. My extended warranty cost $339 for an additional 3 years. The two sensors replaced with labor was well over $500. The extended warranty has already paid for itself and then some with two years to go.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »
Yes. Replaced under warranty. 2 separate bikes 2 or 3 times. One was replaced and never registered. Still no #s.
Joel from Maine.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Oh, and why am I suddenly a Newbie?  I've been posting here for 5 years, albeit not much lately.  I must have missed something!

You are a newbie because of the supposed server meltdown several months back. Lost all old posts.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline c14rider

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
I remember the server meltdown a year or two ago.  Sounds like it happened again :(

Is no one voting in the poll or can I just not see the results until I vote?  I've never done a poll before, so I'm not sure how this works.  If you're not voting, please do!

Thanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
I see one post in Nov of 2011 and several within the last month or so, other than that, nada.  You may want to add another checky box for those of us that have complaining sensors but just haven't gone in to get them fixed yet.  I fit into that category.  Mine have been complaining every winter since I bought the bike and unlike Lather's, they've been getting worse.  I'm taking the bike in for some work in a few weeks and ask to get them replaced then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
My post count did not get reset, so I don't know.
And I have not had my TPMS replaced.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline c14rider

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
Is no one voting in the poll or can I just not see the results until I vote?  I've never done a poll before, so I'm not sure how this works.  If you're not voting, please do!

Thanks.
Got it.  The poll was set to only show results after voting and I guess that even applies to the poll administrator :)  Changed it so anyone can view the results.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
I voted with your addition to the poll. Mine always come on when they warm up. Won't worry about it til they quit.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
Dealers wanted me to leave my bike for "a few days" to verify what I said was true, I told them to kiss my butt instead.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
We need to work on your people skills, Poke.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
We need to work on your people skills, Poke.

I am quite fun to be around and have excellent people skills, Jim knows. I am however brutally honest and to the point most times, and do not like and will not tolerate being given the runaround. I am always nice, honest and professional at first, if that doesnt work then I become an asshole.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
2 years of ownership and no problems...  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
Dealers wanted me to leave my bike for "a few days" to verify what I said was true, I told them to kiss my butt instead.

Good for you... I would probably tell them the same thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc