Poll

Do you have handlebar risers and what brand (on your C14)

I do not have handlebar risers
30 (31.9%)
I have Murphs
26 (27.7%)
I have GenMar (Premier / Amotostuff / Twisted Throttle / etc)
6 (6.4%)
I have Motorcycle Larry's
5 (5.3%)
I have Helibar (Premier / etc)
19 (20.2%)
I have ProjekD
3 (3.2%)
I have ebay (Mfg Unknown)
1 (1.1%)
I also added ram balls and or power outlets to risers
4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: June 21, 2011, 09:35:52 AM

Author Topic: C14 (Handlebar Risers)  (Read 33360 times)

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Re: C14 (Handlebar Risers)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 07:44:34 AM »
What are Phil's wedges?  Sorry if that's a dumb question.  Haven't heard of them before.

Phil's wedges are, umm, wedges, that change the pull back and angle of your handlebar.  The end result is the bars are flatter (the outside of the bars are brought upward), swept back at a sharper angle, and brought together by about an inch.  Some people use them on top of other risers. 

You'll either love them or hate them.  I tried a pair and they weren't for me, but many people swear by them.  The increased rearward sweep put additional pressure on my outer palms - probably because I have monkey arms.  Phil was great to work with  8)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
Phil's wedges are, umm, wedges, that change the pull back and angle of your handlebar.  The end result is the bars are flatter (the outside of the bars are brought upward), swept back at a sharper angle, and brought together by about an inch.  Some people use them on top of other risers. 

You'll either love them or hate them.  I tried a pair and they weren't for me, but many people swear by them.  The increased rearward sweep put additional pressure on my outer palms - probably because I have monkey arms.  Phil was great to work with  8)

Thank you for the info.  I'll have to check those out.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Its all good now!

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 11:16:30 AM »
2" helibar risers with ramball & power outlet I purchased slightly used from a forum member and Phil's wedges. All wrist pain & pressure has been relieved. ;D BTW as advice for anyone looking do use this set-up, the bolts that came with my risers are M8 X 1.25 X 80mm socket cap screws and they will hold the risers & wedges together on the bike. Per Phils advice However I'm going to replace my bolts with M8 X 1.25 X 90mm socket cap screws just get a little more thread into the handle bar mounts. The shorter bolts probably would have never been a problem but it gives me a little peace of mind.  :o
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
Heli's with the ram ball works for me.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
LSL bars. The best mod I have done to this bike.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Here's a look at what I did with the MCL blocks, my custom blocks and Phil's wedges.

Works well for me.  BTW, I had LSL set up on my ZX1400 Ninja.  Worked very well.  Pricey, required longer cables, different grips, would not work with oem heated grips (IMO), but definitely very comfy compared to stock.

"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Bagger

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
Not very clear ... and BIG !  Anyway, tried to have a couple photogs in the last post, but did not work.

Here's what the custom riser blocks look like ... about 4" long, 1" thick, and ~2" wide.  Holes match up with the oem/MCL holes ... and new holes for the 'antlers' to fit to pull back and raise the antlers up.  OEM cables/hoses work fine, but the bosses had to be removed and new pieces of aluminum strap used to move them outboard a bit.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
LSLs, from Murphs, of course!  I never had %100 faith in the cast bars, I could envision either practicing or executing a big quick stop and having a bar snap and I figured adding a riser would mean more leverage on the bar.  Granted, I only recall 2 incidents of bars breaking, but I only needed to hear about 1 before I got nervous.

No, I dont think this is an issue, just me, and my own paranoia.  Thank God I aint scared of electrical things, I'd have to buy me an FJR :o

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
i am sitting stock for now but will be getting this exact set up my self.

2" Heli with built in ram mount and powerlet plug for gps.  :thumbs:

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
I went with murphs also, and i have long arms. the risers are just more comfy.
update; i have modified my murphs risers. cut them down. now have two options; 1" riser or 5/8" riser.
I'm liking the 1".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:59:59 PM by firetruck41 »
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline matcomike

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »
I have Phil's "Ape Hangers" and wedges. I have horrible carpal tunnel AND tendonitis in my elbows!  >:( I'm kind of a wreck, too many years flipping a wrench. This is fantastic! I was ready to part with the Connie, and then tried these. The other very interesting thing is the new HeliBar kit coming out. A bit pricey at $695.00, but gives pull-back and rotational adjustment!
http://www.helibars.com/photo-gallery/coming-soon-multi-adjustable-helibars-handlebars-concours14

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
I have Phil's "Ape Hangers" and wedges. I have horrible carpal tunnel AND tendonitis in my elbows!  >:( I'm kind of a wreck, too many years flipping a wrench. This is fantastic! I was ready to part with the Connie, and then tried these. The other very interesting thing is the new HeliBar kit coming out. A bit pricey at $695.00, but gives pull-back and rotational adjustment!
http://www.helibars.com/photo-gallery/coming-soon-multi-adjustable-helibars-handlebars-concours14

Big, Big dollars.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
[Helibars fully adjustable]Big, Big dollars.....

True, but I just spent $900 for a seat (heated and pod).  Seems like one is getting more for the money with the seat, but the point is, some people will absolutely spend it if it works well and solves a problem.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bagger

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
True, but I just spent $900 for a seat (heated and pod).  Seems like one is getting more for the money with the seat, but the point is, some people will absolutely spend it if it works well and solves a problem.

This is soooo very true.  I have the tee shirt, the hat and the tatoo. 

Can't tell you how much I've spent to get comfy on bikes.  But, it is worth it.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

Oh no, and I thought the Admore Lighting was my last want...you just ruined it. 

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
I have the Genmar 2" risers and the Phils wedges.  The risers' pullback helped a lot but it didn't all come together till I added Phil's Wedges.  The bars are exactly where I like them now.  I'm 5'11" and its just perfect.  I used the bolts that came with the Genmar risers and there was plenty of thread even with the wedges.  No need to buy longer bolts.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline Murph

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
We have our first production run of Phils wedges,
I'm waitting on some new bolts, and with Phil being on the road I was thinking of holding them off the site until hes back in town,

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »
We have our first production run of Phils wedges,
I'm waitting on some new bolts, and with Phil being on the road I was thinking of holding them off the site until hes back in town,

Hopefully you can price the bolts separately, since I am guessing that a good number of people are already using risers- so the bolts would be useless if they were sized for the stock bar setup.  Not sure if the Helibars-included bolts are long enough for adding the wedges, would be nice to have an option for people who have Helibars, Murph's, or Genmar risers.   Anyway, count me interested.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
So outside the ~ 30% of voters that do not use bar pull backs

Drum Roll Please::::::

Murph is the clear winner (Cost Less and has ram ball option)

with

Heli's a close second (Costs More but has power outlet option and ram ball option)
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"