Author Topic: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler  (Read 21916 times)

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
Re: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »
Glad to hear Bosco is doing well. It is awful for a dog with such a fine name to be subject to that.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
Thanks Chet and I agree 100%, no bad dogs just bad owners. I don't blame the Rot for what happened, but if I had a weapon at the time it would have been the Rot who would have paid the price.

I won't be carrying my pistol on our next walk but I will have a collapsible baton and any threatening dog that gets close enough will get a taste of it.

Glad to hear Bosco is healing up!

In this situation, in retrospect, do you think a baton would have been enough? 
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
Glad to hear Bosco is healing up!

In this situation, in retrospect, do you think a baton would have been enough?

Thanks!

I was walking two dogs at the time of the attack. One dog was trying to get away from the attack, Sookie, while Bosco was ready to fight (bless her heart). So they were both pulling in different directions. IF I had been able to get a baton deployed before the Rot got to us I may have been able to bash it once before it grabbed Bosco. I had let go of both leashes while I was punching the Rot and trying to get him off of her. So instead of punching the Rot I would have been bashing its brains in with a baton at least. I think that would have caused him to release Bosco sooner than it did.

Who knows? I could carry a gun but I can't be shooting every dog that comes near us while were walking. There have been times when large dogs have approached us but they just wanted to play.

Our town does have a leash law but you know how that kind of things goes...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
Here's Bosco healing up in her bed. She's a bit wonky from the pain meds. That's the vacuum drainage system on the bottom left.

[smg id=237]

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
She's so cute...can't wait to meet her.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
Glad to see she is on the recover path C.  :grouphug:

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
I could carry a gun but I can't be shooting every dog that comes near us while were walking. There have been times when large dogs have approached us but they just wanted to play.

I wonder how a Taser Stun Gun would work on a dog attack?

Give Bosco an extra treat for me!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
I wonder how a Taser Stun Gun would work on a dog attack?

Give Bosco an extra treat for me!

I have seen one used on a large mutt in Iraq and that dog dropped like a sack of potatoes.  I'm not sure what model it was but it was a smaller hand held version.  It also worked good on a mule, not as entertaining as what the dog did, but successful nonetheless.

This wasn't for entertainment, both animals were semi-aggressive to us while we were moving in on a house, so instead of putting a 5.56 round through their melon we incapacitated them long enough to get the job done.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »
I have seen one used on a large mutt in Iraq and that dog dropped like a sack of potatoes.  I'm not sure what model it was but it was a smaller hand held version.  It also worked good on a mule, not as entertaining as what the dog did, but successful nonetheless.

This wasn't for entertainment, both animals were semi-aggressive to us while we were moving in on a house, so instead of putting a 5.56 round through their melon we incapacitated them long enough to get the job done.

I know it's not for entertainment but I'd about give 10 bucks to see the mule get zapped but I'd be afraid he would kick me in the melon.

Sorry for the hijack Bosco...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
Bosco had a good visit with her vet yesterday. He removed the IV cath and drainage tubes, then checked the wounds on her back and chest. She's doing very much better than expected.   :)

She still has a lot of weakness in her front right leg and the vet isn't sure if it's from muscle or nerve damage. We'll have to wait and see. She's just lucky to be alive at this point.   

Her spirits are good and she hates being kept in her crate, especially while the other two dogs get to run around.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about this Conrad but glad she is on the mend.

Brian

Bosco had a good visit with her vet yesterday. He removed the IV cath and drainage tubes, then checked the wounds on her back and chest. She's doing very much better than expected.   :)

She still has a lot of weakness in her front right leg and the vet isn't sure if it's from muscle or nerve damage. We'll have to wait and see. She's just lucky to be alive at this point.   

Her spirits are good and she hates being kept in her crate, especially while the other two dogs get to run around.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
Glad she is doing better.  They should make animal tazers.. dial the expected weight of the offending animal and ZAP!!

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
Captain Kirk's was adjustable.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
Sorry that was a phaser, these are tazers. ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 05:06:35 AM »
Sorry that was a phaser, these are tazers. ;)

I would have set it to one notch above stun and shot the dog and the owner both.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »
Bosco is getting a lil better every day. She's leaking a LOT of fluid from her wound and her bandages have to be changed regularly. The vet says it's normal and not to worry. Her spirits are good and she tried to run in the yard this morning, that didn't work out too well for her. Her right front leg is still very weak.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »
Well, I reckon Boscoe is holding true to the old adage, "It aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the heart in the dog"!

Great news C, give her butt a good scratch for me!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
I gave her a milkbone for ya Chet, she says that she loves you.    :)

valkmc

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
I know it's not for entertainment but I'd about give 10 bucks to see the mule get zapped but I'd be afraid he would kick me in the melon.

Sorry for the hijack Bosco...

Not a mule but........

bull video

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
Not a mule but........

bull video

Looked to be only good as long as you held the trigger.   Then it pissed him off!