Author Topic: Torque engine bolts - C10  (Read 1816 times)

Offline DON B

Torque engine bolts - C10
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »
I would like to torque the front (top) engine bolts on my C-10 before I install the fairing lowers. Despite much time and effort I can not get a wrench or socket on or even near either of the nuts. My conclusion at this point is that the radiator has to be removed to provide access, and that aint happening. Can anybody with experience in this tell me what I need to do , or use? Thanks much, in advance

Offline works4me

Re: Torque engine bolts - C10
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
Try a box wrench inserted from the front. Torque the bolt.
But torqued-by-feel works too.

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
You can get to them with a small box end wrench.  Most of us have taken an old wrench and bent it to where you can get behind the nut.  I haven't tried one yet, but a box wrench with a swivel head may do the trick.  Up until I bent a wrench I used a small 3" or so snub end box wrench.  Takes some mouth twisting, and a few words, but it will work.
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
Aren't those a Hex cap socket bolt with a nut on the engine side?   I used a hex socket and torqued mine.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline DON B

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
Fred, Your advice is very helpfull. It points me in a direction I couldn't come up with on my own. Now off to buy a wrench to bend/cut to size.