Author Topic: need a new horn  (Read 18682 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: need a new horn
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:26 AM »
The Piaa is looking like a good option

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »
The PIAA Sports horn isn't all that loud from the specs. No wiring? That's interesting...

•112db
•Works with all bikes
•Great for limited space area's
•No wiring required

The FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn on the other hand IS LOUD. 130 dB 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

Yesterday, mistakenly pressed the horn button instead of the turn signal shut-off and scared the sh*t outta myself.

The Freeway Blasters ARE loud!
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
The PIAA Sports horn isn't all that loud from the specs. No wiring? That's interesting...

•112db
•Works with all bikes
•Great for limited space area's
•No wiring required

It is in fact pretty darn loud Conrad.....trust me. And no relay or better wiring is needed, allot of Strom owners have these and so does a member of this forum on his ZG1000 "Pfloydgad".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Word of caution - the nautilus I bought a year back had the horn glued like no tomorrow to the compressor unit. I actually had to dismantle the compressor top, cut the plastic shroud and somehow salvage the horn component. Once the compressor was put back together, it worked and still working great. So, it was a LOT more work to separate them, but worth it ! Without separating, you will be blasting yourself than anyone else.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Have the Nautilus. The relay is a piece of cake and allows you to use both the OEM and the Nautilus at the same time. Mine was molded together so well that I didn't try to separate them, just mounted the whole thing under the right fairing. It does blast me a bit too, but not an issue with the helmet on and those around me hear it plenty well.

It's funny when the state inspection guy is standing there in front of your bike and tells you to hit the horn. They jump every time. The first time I got it inspected after the installation, the guy was kneeling down by the front tire. Almost knocked him over and got a "Holy S--t" out of him.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
It's funny when the state inspection guy is standing there in front of your bike and tells you to hit the horn. They jump every time. The first time I got it inspected after the installation, the guy was kneeling down by the front tire. Almost knocked him over and got a "Holy S--t" out of him.

Not quite funny.  You could cause permanent hearing damage....
I would (and do) warn anyone first to stand back.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »

I can assure you Max that the PIAA sports horn is a "real horn", some of us don't want to have to deal with a relay and a large horn that is a pain in the ass to mount.

The one I posted that Murph sells is a real horn as well. It did use a relay but I was able to mount them in the stock position. Here is a thread I started detailing the installation. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8845.msg107269#msg107269

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
The one I posted that Murph sells is a real horn as well. It did use a relay but I was able to mount them in the stock position. Here is a thread I started detailing the installation. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8845.msg107269#msg107269

Yeah those are good horns, still like the no relay option for me though. ANYTHING is going to be better than the beep beep horn.  ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »

Yeah those are good horns, still like the no relay option for me though. ANYTHING is going to be better than the meep meep horn.  ::)

FIFY
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 08:34:25 AM »

Yeah those are good horns, still like the no relay option for me though. ANYTHING is going to be better than the beep beep horn.  ::)

I understand the desire for an easy plug in solution. As long as the horn is loud enough it's all good. Thankfully Murph sells the wiring kit with a relay so it is all plug and play. I made more work for myself because the wiring kit Murph sells wasn't long enough to allow me to mount the relay where I wanted, so I simply added wire. I'm happy with the results though. At speed with ear plugs in, I couldn't hear the stock horns at all. I can hear these with ear plugs in, at speed next to a truck while listening to music, sort of like you're supposed to.  ;D

Offline pistole

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »

- as per some of the kind advice above , I installed this horn last night. Took me all of like 10 minutes to get the original horn out and mount this in its place.

- doesn't need a relay and can run off the stock wiring.

- much louder that the Peep-Peep original horn. Authoritative Baaarrpp tone.

- something for the guys here to consider , if you're not into cutting into the bike and incurring all the trouble for an air-horn install.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »

- as per some of the kind advice above , I installed this horn last night. Took me all of like 10 minutes to get the original horn out and mount this in its place.

- doesn't need a relay and can run off the stock wiring.

- much louder that the Peep-Peep original horn. Authoritative Baaarrpp tone.

- something for the guys here to consider , if you're not into cutting into the bike and incurring all the trouble for an air-horn install.

I might just add one of these in place of my original horn AND keep the air horn I got from Murph. Can never be too loud.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline pistole

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
- that PIAA horn doesn't like water. Don't get any into its throat. Reduces the sound to a squak

- mount it throat down with the guard in place.

Offline Stavee

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
- that PIAA horn doesn't like water. Don't get any into its throat. Reduces the sound to a squak

- mount it throat down with the guard in place.

You should always mount horns throat down.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
i need to get on this, im such a procrastinator

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
I'm with PH14. Get Murphs HF80s and the wiring harness.
Easiest to fit, plenty loud enough and no risk of s****ing yourself when you hit it by accident.  ;D
I fitted mine 3 years 25,000 miles back and never regretted it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »
just ordered the PIAA 76500, decided the easy install and stil getting a increased performance was the best for me. Plus, (i know some of you will look down on me for this) when i trailer my Connie i like to remove the horn and the plastic plate there between the forks tube to be able to loop my tie downs on the bottom of the tree. So i didnt want any extra bulk there to have to contend with. Im going to install my horn, new screen and touring pegs all at the same time maybe a weekend or two from now.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
just ordered the PIAA 76500, decided the easy install and stil getting a increased performance was the best for me. Plus, (i know some of you will look down on me for this) when i trailer my Connie i like to remove the horn and the plastic plate there between the forks tube to be able to loop my tie downs on the bottom of the tree. So i didnt want any extra bulk there to have to contend with. Im going to install my horn, new screen and touring pegs all at the same time maybe a weekend or two from now.
If you live up to your handle not too many are going to look down on you.  ;)