Author Topic: New Horns--finally  (Read 23732 times)

Offline PH14

New Horns--finally
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
I finally installed new horns. I was amazed at how poor the original horn is on the C14. At highway speeds with ear plugs and the helmet I could not hear it at all, and neither could other drivers.

I ordered the H80/2 Stebel horns from Murphs' along with his wiring harness with the relay.  The harness was nice, but the leads coming off the relay were too short for the way I wanted to install the horns. I installed them in the stock location. In the stock location, there was no good place to put the relay, so I extended the wires. I was able to tuck relay and excess wire leading from the battery along side other wiring in the fairing on the right hand side under the black  plastic trim. I ran the new wiring I added along the other wiring leading to the forks and to the horns and wire tied everything into place.

I used the stock horn bracket and the metal "brackets" that came with the new horns. The combination worked well and fit nicely. 

I am happy to be done. They are much louder than the stock horns. I had considered some of Stebel's other horns but for the money and the ability to install in the stock location, i figured they would be perfect. They are definitely much louder than stock.

Oh, and I may have found my rattle.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: New Horns--finally
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
I finally installed new horns. I was amazed at how poor the original horn is on the C14.

It is not just the C-14.  My ZRX and other bikes were the same- wimpy little "beep beep" horns that are pretty much totally useless for safety.

I ordered the H80/2 Stebel horns from Murphs' along with his wiring harness with the relay.  [...]
I used the stock horn bracket and the metal "brackets" that came with the new horns. The combination worked well and fit nicely.  [...]  I am happy to be done. They are much louder than the stock horns. I had considered some of Stebel's other horns but for the money and the ability to install in the stock location, i figured they would be perfect. They are definitely much louder than stock.

If you want *LOUD*, nothing can touch the air horns :)  But they are considerably more work to install than the louder-than-stock electrics like you used.  Cost about the same, though.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
It is not just the C-14.  My ZRX and other bikes were the same- wimpy little "beep beep" horns that are pretty much totally useless for safety.

If you want *LOUD*, nothing can touch the air horns :)  But they are considerably more work to install than the louder-than-stock electrics like you used.  Cost about the same, though.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286.0

I considered those but ordered these one night on a whim. I like the sound of these. They are definitely an improvement.

Taff

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that up as this will be my next job.

How long did it take you to complete the install?

Jon.

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
Thanks for posting that up as this will be my next job.

How long did it take you to complete the install?

Jon.

It's tough to say. It depends. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. It also depends on if you lose the fuse, can't find another one, decided to extend the wires, ride a bicycle  seven miles round trip to the store to get wire, fuses and connectors only to realize you left your wallet at home, then drive back in the car.

If you have a clear plan and have little hands the job could be done in maybe an hour and a half. Add for larger hands and for dropping parts/tools into the never-reaches of the bike. Realistically, add more time for swearing and beer.

So all in all I would say two hours, unless you don't like the way you ran the wire to the battery and redo it four times.

Once I had a clear plan on how I wanted to run the wires it was pretty straightforward. If I had to do it again I would immediately extend the wires. I would start by removing the existing horn, attaching the new ones to the bracket an install. I would then measure from up under the black plastic trim on the upper right side of the fairing, along the existing wiring to the horns and then add wire to the harness. I added for both horns and for the wires that connect to the existing horn wiring. Then run the wires and tie to the existing wiring. Had I done it like that int he beginning I could have been done in maybe 2 hours, or 3, possibly 1 1/2, but I have no clue since I kept getting sidetracked. At one point I pulled the plastic off the left side to check the coolant and tighten some hose clamps.

I think the best estimate would require factoring in how many beers you need, or in my case, a bottle of wine and a good fillet mignon followed by more wine and then bed. So maybe two or three days, repeat as necessary.  ;D

Offline rydbaby

• 2011 C14
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
Nice work, I pretty much did the same thing with Fiamm Freeway Blasters. The pic shows them pointing forward but after washing the bike and getting 'no sound' till they dried out, I pointed them in a downward position. These things are super loud!

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
Nice.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

I have a 2001 Goldwing.  It has serious horns aboard.  I've always enjoyed the sound/power/loudness of these guys.  I'm not sure, but think they are Honda cager horns.  Look same/same to me.

Anyway, all my bikes have had Goldwing horns installed.  The ST1300, the VTX1300, the ZX1400 Ninja, the C14 and of course ... the original, the Wing. 

Never been disappointed.  Ever ...
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
The 1800 Gold Wings had the loud horns, all previous years Gold Wings had wimpy horns

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
The 1800 Gold Wings had the loud horns, all previous years Gold Wings had wimpy horns

Um, no.  My 82 GL1100 has very good stock horns.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Phil

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »
Comparison of:
Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn
Stebel HF 80/2 Twin electric
Hella Twin-tone Horn Set

Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns (Model 11690051)

Loudness:  115 dB
Tones:  530 Hz & 680 Hz.
Current:  18 Amps
Dimensions:  150 x 112 x 95mm

Located behind the radiator, or stuffed up high and mounted onthe forks.  Note: Lack of a suitable location will lead to loss in effective loudness.

Stebel HF 80/2 Twin electric horns

Loudness:  112 dB
Tones:  340 Hz & 430 Hz
Current:  9 amps (pair)    [size=78%]Note:  Will work with existing wiring.[/size]
Dimensions:  38 mm (depth) x 80mm diameter   (Measured)

Hella Twin Tone Horn Set

Loudness:  110dB
Tones:  400 Hz & 500 Hz
Current:  12 amps (2 x 72W)Thickness:  82mm (depth) 

This is a no-brainer.   The Stebel HF 80/2 Twin electric horns are exceptionally loud (112 dB), will work with stock wiring with only minor modification, can use the existing factory 10 amp fuse, and is compact too.   

Sources:
Stebel: http://www.stebel.it/public/stebel.pdf
Hella:  http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/horns/twin-trumpet-horn/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:16:34 PM by Boston Bagger »
Phil, aka Boston Bagger
===============
2010 Concours 14, 2008 BMW K1200GT, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2004 BMW R1150RT, 2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD., 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE, 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1,  1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1, 1963 Honda 250 Scrambler

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:47:06 AM »
I rarely use my horn as a safety feature.  If someone is getting too close then I use evasive tactics.  I'm not going to assume that the cage driver will get back in his lane and the time it takes to hit the horn and then hope the cage reacts is time that I lose making the evasive move.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:05:28 AM »
I agree I NEVER use my horn 
I bought one of those air horns from Murph's   
It sits on the shelf,  beep beep
I just drive or rev the motor
Beep Beep
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
I rarely use my horn as a safety feature.  If someone is getting too close then I use evasive tactics.  I'm not going to assume that the cage driver will get back in his lane and the time it takes to hit the horn and then hope the cage reacts is time that I lose making the evasive move.

I use my horn when needed and I can press the horn button and preform evasive tactics at the same time when the need arises.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:49 AM »
I either evade or use the horn.  Can't do both.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
I use my horn when needed and I can press the horn button and preform evasive tactics at the same time when the need arises.

Exactly.  There are occasions there is plenty of time and I will horn first while ready to evade if necessary.  Sometimes I will do both simultaneously.  If there is no time, I will skip the horn, sometimes saving it for afterwards just to show them I am pissed. 

I will often cover the horn button when I detect something might happen (after again checking what is around me).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
Interesting, no clearance issues to the fender??  Looks like it could be tight if enjoying the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
Exactly.  There are occasions there is plenty of time and I will horn first while ready to evade if necessary.  Sometimes I will do both simultaneously.  If there is no time, I will skip the horn, sometimes saving it for afterwards just to show them I am pissed. 

I will often cover the horn button when I detect something might happen (after again checking what is around me).

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
I just installed a Freeway Blaster yesterday and its a lot louder than the wimpy stock horn. 

I like the look of the 2 Freeway Blasters together and I can't imagine how loud it would be.

Question: Do I need a relay inline or can I just add a 2nd horn to the OEM wiring without blowing or burning anything out ???

Thanks

Dan

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
I just installed a Freeway Blaster yesterday and its a lot louder than the wimpy stock horn. 

Almost anything is better than the ultra-wimpy stock horn.

Question: Do I need a relay inline or can I just add a 2nd horn to the OEM wiring without blowing or burning anything out ???

Generally, any "good" horn(s) is/are going to pull a lot more power than the silly stock beep toy (especially if it is an air horn).  When you start pulling many amps through the stock horn switch, you can cause the switch to fail.  In extreme cases, it can even melt/burn out/short out the wiring.  This is why it is a good idea to power the horns through a larger gauge, fused power/ground line trigger through a relay.