Author Topic: I hate DC  (Read 7080 times)

Offline 12menzer

I hate DC
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
Been waiting for the weather to turn so I can start riding my bike in.  Parked in a zone 2 area and on day 2, received a ticket. Last year I parked in the same area about 15 times without an issue.  A former coworker used to park in the same area for 6 months as well.  We are both Maryland residents.  I was clearly parking illegally but my bike takes up so little space. The same street has motorcycle metered parking and costs $16 a day.  That is the same price a car pays.  This sucks. 

I even tried parking under the stairs of a nearby building and the building manager did not like it.

This is in the Georgetown area of DC. 

Looks like I will be taking metro from now on.  Thanks for reading.  Just venting. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: I hate DC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:56 PM »
I have never been to DC, and I doubt ever will.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
smart move.  I call it District 9.  If you have seen the movie, you will understand!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
So there must be certain areas that certain types of vehicles can park at certain times of the year? They want you to use public transportation by making it really hard to park in town I think? I've been to DC twice, it was ok, once as a tourist and once to Arlington for a funeral. Every American citizen should go to DC at least once and see their capitol.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
I've been living in the DC area since 84.  I don't even remember when I took a car there and actually parked it.  I always go in through Metro.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »
Only time I've ever been to DC was during Rolling Thunder when you can park anywhere you want...or at least, that's what I did.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
I was at Harvard in Cambridge on Monday and parked in a nice spot I've seen used by others and myself in the past with no issues. I ended up with a $30 ticket. It was a bummer. I heard rumors that if you put a bike cover on it you are less apt to get a ticket, because a lot of places won't want the liability of hurting the bike. I don't fully believe it, but it might be worth a try.
Joel from Maine.

Madcow

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
The only times I went to DC was in the late 70's when I was going to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, parking wasn't an issue for me.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
smart move.  I call it District 9.  If you have seen the movie, you will understand!

One of my all time favorite movies, can't wait for District 10!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »
I rode to DC on my Wing ~ 5 years ago to visit my SIL, after visiting my Dad in Houston.  What a mess... spent a week there.  I just parked the bike after trying to visit a few historical places and decided my life was worth more than riding to them.  8) 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
Almost as nasty dirty as Paris.  And the scam artists are not limited to our elected officials.  The reflecting pool was always nasty.  The only place I found clean everytime was the Wall.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
Almost as nasty dirty as Paris.  And the scam artists are not limited to our elected officials.  The reflecting pool was always nasty.  The only place I found clean everytime was the Wall.

went to the wall on bike....and parked 2 up in a space....
we both got tickets.

don't go to drive in DC. it suckz.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:15:40 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
I love DC.
I park in a long term, and then either walk or use the Metro. I think Metro is the best mass transit I've ever seen -- a world better than the tube in London, the Red Cars in San Diego, whatever they call the train in Long Beach, the 'el' (?) in Chicago, etc. Reasonable, and fast. I don't know of anyplace else with so much incredible history in so compact a space. The Air & Space museum, the Lincoln Memorial, the reflecting pond, Arlington, the wall -- I defy anyone to walk through Arlington, watch the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, or walk along the surface of the wall and not be struck with the strength and solemnity of the place.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

don't go to drive in DC. it suckz.

fixed..... ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
You admit you were clearly parked illegally, got a tickrt and brcause of that the city sucks?
There's lots of other reasons it sucks but that ain't one of em.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
DC still sucks.  For the nations capitol and all that goes with it finding parking of any kind is tough and to have the ridiculous prices??  Go ahead and call it illegal parking if you want, what is wrong (it is DC) is the laws governing parking and the associated fees/fines.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
I rarely drive in DC.  Metro has free parking on the weekends, and stops just about anywhere you might want to go.  The few times I've driven in to see the museums, I go to the free parking by the Jefferson Memorial/ tidal pool.  Was there today to take my dad and his girlfriend to see the cherry blossoms.

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »
To clarify, one of the reasons DC sucks is because it is not motorcycle friendly.  Back in 2007 the city changed the parking rules for motorcycles.  One quarter used to buy 1 hour of parking time, so parking for the day was affordable.  Now it costs about 16 dollars a day to park a bike on the street.  That is just as expense as parking a car.  This is not encouraging smart commuting.  On top of that almost all parking garages don't allow motorcycles.  Or if they do, you pay the same rate as a car ($265 per month).  If you have ever visited some of these garages they have all sorts of nooks and areas where bikes can park out of the way an not even take up any car spaces.   

Another reason it sucks is because Georgetown has no metro.  The closest metro is Foggy Bottom - a 10 - 12 minute walk.

When I received my ticket, I parked my bike in a space a car could not fit (in between 2 other bikes that sit in the same spot all day).  Actually I have never seen the two bikes move.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Yeah, Georgetown is different.  Traffic is outrageous, especially on weekends. Spent a weekend one afternoon looking for a place to park.

Offline Leo

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
I don't really hate DC, it has it's place.   I do side with Tesla, and see the advantages of AC, especially for long range power transmission.  I do think we gave up a lot of efficiency by limiting our selves to 60 HZ.   400 HZ has less inherent losses, is not as dangerous to the nervous system in case of accidental contact and is easier and therefore cheaper to filter into smooth DC supply power. 400 hz transformers can be designed with smaller iron cores, making user devices lighter.   DC does have advantages for battery power low current draw digital circuits.

Opps, sorry, I misunderstood the question.   :P
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas