Author Topic: Thermoplastic is like ice.  (Read 2931 times)

Offline cc_ryder

• Jacksonville,FL ...................... Coggers ROK
Thermoplastic is like ice.
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
I have known for a long time that thermoplastic is one of those hazards that bikers face on the road. I have always avoided it when riding on a wet road, but was not prepared for what happened. It was just before dawn with a light dew on the road surface. I felt a little slip in the rear end as I was going throttle up to merge onto the highway so I backed off a bit. I just paced the traffic speed until I reached the rest stop where I was meeting a fellow Cogger for the trip to Biketoberfest. I made a sharp turn across some thermoplastic striping to park and BAM!!! I was standing there looking at my bike laying on the pavement. It was like ice. It just seemed to pop out from under me and I was standing there where my bike was. This was not just a single stripe between parking spaces, it was a cross-hatched area at the end. I am sure that both of my tires were on the thermoplastic at same time as there was no indication that I was loosing traction.

There was only minor damage. Broken luggage lock and a broken foot rest bracket. The parts will be here on Monday so I won't miss this beautiful fall riding weather.

Be careful out there!
ROK
Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders   www.patriotguard.org

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
Re: Thermoplastic is like ice.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »
Yea that stuff is a killer and very scary  :-\ 
Glad bike and you are okay.
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957