Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133721 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Maybe this is for another thread but does a flash pose any threat to voiding the warranty? Actually what mod can produce warranty issues?

This has been discussed in the past.  There is no official word, that I know of.  Generally, a dealer is not going to know you had your ECU flashed, unless you tell them.  They have no tools to know it is any different (I don't believe our firmware is "signed" or checksumed.... but that is probably already being done in some vehicles now).  I don't recommend putting a sticker on it or anything like that, advertising it, however.

Generally, a dealer or factory cannot void your warranty for work and mods you do yourself, without provable cause.  They can (and sometimes do) claim that if you do not perform the recommended upkeep or use an aftermarket part, that it is not covered.  But my understanding of the law is that they would have to have proof that your actions or negligence CAUSED the problem.  They can't automatically just assume what the customer did is at fault.  Of course, that doesn't mean you won't go through lots of harassment, wasted time, and possibly even legal action in the process.

The reason there is significant performance improvements available with flashing is exactly because the engine is designed to meet regulations about noise, fuel economy, and emissions control (and the manufacturer also adds things like drivability and reliability, too).  Reflashing throws all that out the window, so it is quite illegal :)   But replacing the muffler with a third-party one is also illegal; as is adding HID bulbs, adding additional driving lamps, replacing a lens with a third-party, wearing earphones, using a too-darkly tinted visor, and driving over the speed limit.  I don't suppose anything would be very much fun if the dealer acted as a legality spy (other than during a state inspection, and those tend to be a joke).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
   On a personal note, your questions seem more slanted towards what you can do when you're not satisfied with the flash that what you will enjoy about improving your riding experience with the Shoodaben Flash.

Sorry if I came across that way, didn't mean to do so. I know you are widely respected and I have no reason not to do the same.

As for my question number one, I was just curious if I sent my ECU to you for a reflash if you could/would look to see what's on it before you flash and then send an email (or include a note in the return package) for a small additional charge. Like I said earlier, I was so unimpressed with the Guhl flash that I still wonder if maybe they stickered it and etched it but never flashed it (mistakes happen). Not wanting anything for free, nor will I call up Guhl and complain quoting you or any of that kind of pot stirring crap (what's done is done, whether it was done or not { sounds sorta like Yogi Berra  ???}). I won't quote you here or on any other forum, I just want to know for me.

The re-reflash fees (putting it back the way it was) are reasonable and in line with Guhl's total. I'm not planning on doing that but other's may wonder as well.

I'll probably request you flash mine in December. I'm really looking forward to the smooth, if I also get better mpg and a bit more power, it's nothing but extra gravy.  :)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.  :thumbs:

Offline dude412

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »
This has been discussed in the past.  There is no official word, that I know of.  Generally, a dealer is not going to know you had your ECU flashed, unless you tell them.  They have no tools to know it is any different (I don't believe our firmware is "signed" or checksumed.... but that is probably already being done in some vehicles now).  I don't recommend putting a sticker on it or anything like that, advertising it, however.

Generally, a dealer or factory cannot void your warranty for work and mods you do yourself, without provable cause.  They can (and sometimes do) claim that if you do not perform the recommended upkeep or use an aftermarket part, that it is not covered.  But my understanding of the law is that they would have to have proof that your actions or negligence CAUSED the problem.  They can't automatically just assume what the customer did is at fault.  Of course, that doesn't mean you won't go through lots of harassment, wasted time, and possibly even legal action in the process.

The reason there is significant performance improvements available with flashing is exactly because the engine is designed to meet regulations about noise, fuel economy, and emissions control (and the manufacturer also adds things like drivability and reliability, too).  Reflashing throws all that out the window, so it is quite illegal :)   But replacing the muffler with a third-party one is also illegal; as is adding HID bulbs, adding additional driving lamps, replacing a lens with a third-party, wearing earphones, using a too-darkly tinted visor, and driving over the speed limit.  I don't suppose anything would be very much fun if the dealer acted as a legality spy (other than during a state inspection, and those tend to be a joke).
First of all I'm not made of money but as good as Steve's flash is I'm not worried about the warranty. Just saying.

sailor_chic

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2015, 04:54:18 AM »
Hey guys,

Yesterday I attended the COG RTE in Brooksville Fl. Great event, but that's not the purpose of my post. While having a conversation with Steve, he asked me if I wanted to test ride his bike. His question was also presented with his FOB in hand. After a micro-second, I decided that this would be beneficial to do so. After a brief discussion of the areas/aspects of the flash that I should pay attention to, including bring it up to red line, I was underway.

Initial impression was from a stop and was very noticeable. This has removed the sluggishness of the bike. This alone is almost worth the price of the flash.

The roll on power of the bike from 2000-3000 RPM was instantaneously and didnt decrease through the entire range of RPM's. After trying different gears and ranges of where I rolled on the throttle, I couldnt find any flaws. This bike simply pulls hard!!

Then I found a section of road that I could try this machine from a stop to a full throttle top end run. In first gear, I did short shift at 9000-9500 as a cautionary practice so I didnt go beyond red line. Then 2nd through 4th gear, were red line shifts and most of 5th gear  I was also still hard on the throttle. The power is AMAZING!! The mid-range and upper end of the RPM's pulled hard. There is not any area of the power band that is lacking and the bike feels like it just wants to keep going. It was effortless to reach the maximum power this fine machine has to offer.

While reading this thread over the past weeks, I have read so many good things about how well this flash helps wake up this machine, I am now even more of a believer. Very soon I will be making the ride to see him again and have my ECU flashed. Of course I have to get my bike running first. If your on the fence about doing this mod, I would say go for it!!

All this and added fuel economy, wow!

Disclaimer: This test ride was performed on a close course, by an unprofessional drive. No bike's were hurt while conducting this test
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:54:47 PM by sailor_chic »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 06:53:40 AM »
 :thumbs:   Quite frankly I was a bit skeptical when Steve brought this to our attention........at first.   However with all the information flowing in and Steve's reputation with the C10, the skepticism has changed to enthusiasm.   I'm going to get my ECU out and send to him this week, hopefully.

Nicole, thanks so much for that report.  I'm sure that all who are interested in this regard it quite highly and thanks for being with us.  You've made an excellent addition to the C14 asylum.  When you take your bike and ECU to Steve, if he's wearing a long overcoat.........run away.

What I really appreciate from Steve is that he works with the Concours and has been doing that for many years.  And that goes for all of our vendors.  They spent a lot of time developing products for our bikes and probably won't get the money back that they put into it so let's support them.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
Jim, thanks for your kind words. Buying my C14 has been a life changing experience for me. For the bike, the trips, and the great people that I have met so far. I am proud to be a part of and accepted in the C14 community.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
:thumbs:   Quite frankly I was a bit skeptical when Steve brought this to our attention........

Skeptics have always ended up as my best supporters... ask Teecro ;) ;)

Oh, and Nicole isn't messing around... she took my bike faster than I ever have  :yikes: ! Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
Skeptics have always ended up as my best supporters... ask Teecro ;) ;)

Oh, and Nicole isn't messing around... she took my bike faster than I ever have  :yikes: ! Steve

You mentioned the data recorder. If you want to hook it up, I'll be more than happy to take your bike for a ride again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
Make her put down a deposit on the bike, Steve.  She may not bring it back.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
:thumbs:   Quite frankly I was a bit skeptical when Steve brought this to our attention........at first.   However with all the information flowing in and Steve's reputation with the C10, the skepticism has changed to enthusiasm.   I'm going to get my ECU out and send to him this week, hopefully.

I see where I rank, Jim!  I have been singing the praises of ECU flashing for years now...    :battle:  ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
I see where I rank, Jim!  I have been singing the praises of ECU flashing for years now...    :battle:  ;)

Finally someone is listening to me,  Thank-you Jim, Sorry Max!  :)

sailor_chic

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
Make her put down a deposit on the bike, Steve.  She may not bring it back.
No kidding, his starts!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
I see where I rank, Jim!  I have been singing the praises of ECU flashing for years now...    :battle: ;)

:rotflmao:

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
Go for it Jim. I did. You will be impressed.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2015, 04:36:54 AM »
Already have the seat off....

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2015, 05:10:32 AM »
You're halfway there ...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2015, 05:54:48 AM »
You're halfway there ...

No kidding, this kind of tuning is the easiest way to improve engine operation I've ever seen. 5 minutes removing and reinstalling the ECU, and 300.00. compare that to jetting with carbs... wow this is easy.  :thumbs: :thumbs:  Steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I have not even looked under the seat yet but does the battery need to be disconnected before removal?
Wayne

No kidding, this kind of tuning is the easiest way to improve engine operation I've ever seen. 5 minutes removing and reinstalling the ECU, and 300.00. compare that to jetting with carbs... wow this is easy.  :thumbs: :thumbs:  Steve
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
I think it would be wise to do so...