Author Topic: canyon cage help  (Read 4222 times)

Offline orangewingnut

canyon cage help
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
i am trying to install the front crash bars on my '11 concours. The instructions tell me to remove a bolt 'just aft' of the radiator hose on the right side (sitting on the bike). The instructions say this is a '10mm socket flange head bolt' but the only bolt i see through the fairing is an allen  head bolt that i cant see loosening without removing the fairing first.

i tried calling MC Enterprises, but they are closed on Fridays.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline RBX QB

Re: canyon cage help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
You can remove it with the fairing on... you just need a long socket extension.

If memory serves, it's an 8mm socket (but the bolt itself is 10mm). I think 5/16 works in a pinch.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
RBX,

the bolt i see is not a 10mm flange head. it has an allen head and nothing for a rachet to grab.

Bill

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
You need one of these... in 8mm.

2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
thank you !!!

Bill

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
does this look right to you... the rear engine bolt isn't coming out the other side. It is shorter than the one i removed. I must be doing something wrong....

thanks,

Bill

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:56:09 PM »
I don't have canyon cage (top block) but looking at the pictures from the "show us your canyon cages" section,
that bolt head should be small enough to fit inside the tube end of the cage. Your picture looks like it's hitting
the tube instead of going in it. Did you mix them up? If not, the only thing I can think of is that you need to spin the bolt so
it's hex section inside the frame is fully seated in the frame (or engine or where ever it goes into).
I'm sure someone else with actual canyon cage experience will be along to help, but it is Friday night, they may all be out and about.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
I don't have canyon cage (top block) but looking at the pictures that bolt head should be small enough to fit inside the tube end of the cage. Your picture looks like it's hitting the tube instead of going in it.

You are correct.  It looks like he is not using the correct bolt.  It is an extremely long rod that comes in the kit, with a bolt head on the end.  It will go inside the tube and stick out the other side of the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »
Wing... You put back the factory rear bolt, but you need to use the one supplied with the kit. It has a traditional hex head that fits inside the cage you show in the pic, and the threaded end comes out the left side.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
yeah i realized that after taking a break.... i guess i assumed the the oem bolt was the new one because it was nice and shiney!!!
they are installed and look great.

thanks for the replies,

Bill

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
WHEW!!!  :)

I'm heading over to help a guy get his installed this morning.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384