Author Topic: Next involuntary test of the 2010 Canyon cages and some remarks on fitting  (Read 5677 times)

Offline julianm

Received my set Thursday last week and spent Friday and Saturday fitting them.

Had a problem with the right hand front mounting bolt as when trying to loosen it with the correct size hex key with an extension bar , the hex turned in the head of the bolt. The hex was a snug fit but I think with the Locktite and factory tightening it was just too much for the head.

Fortunately I had an ½ inch drive impact wrench which I had bought many years ago when working on 250 and 350 Honda’s and Yamaha’s. These motors had Phillips head aluminum screws that held motor casings and an impact wrench was the only way to loosen them (apart from a cold chisel on the edge and hammering in direction of loosening – okay if exposed but not possible in a recess).

After a flew blows on the impact wrench the bolt loosened and I was able to continue.
Put on the outer bars and tightened all up. Fitted and tightened the left side inner bar.  Then came to right hand inner – no way that was going to fit. There was a hard plastic something that did not allow sufficient space for the threads to go into the hole in the main bar. So , loosened everything up , took out the back mounting rod and with much maneuvering managed to get the right inner to fit. Now the nut on the left side back mounting bolt would not engage so, took it and the spacer out and found a washer in the recess which I had not spotted when removing it originally. Took out the washer and it all came together . In between all of this , went to local hardware store for a washer under the nut to protect the powder coat

Sunday dawns and my wife and I off to a breakfast run with the club we belong to. It was her first breakfast run as she is not too happy with early mornings and this was a bit later. Arrived at the service station which was the meeting point and parked across a slight slope from left to right. Put down the side stand , turned the front wheel into the slope and tested the stability and seemed okay.

The time came to leave, my wife is quite short and was wearing her new leather riding pants which are quite tight and restrict her leg movement to mount. To overcome this , she climbed on first using my pegs and moved back onto her pegs and seat. I have an air bag jacket and the tether is attached to the right hand side bars of the back rack . They lie under her right leg and she normally just lifts her leg up to allow me to fasten the jacket. (Pause for ribald remarks) Unfortunately this time she decided to stand up which I couldn’t see as I am busy trying to attach the tether. On standing up she loses her balance and falls to the right in the direction of the down slope and – crunch - over we go. She ends up flat on her back away from the bike , I am on my hands and knees and the bike is on the bars and folded mirror having gone completely over much like the picture Ryan showed in his development thread. This , I think , is a combination of falling down the slope and with the weight of my wife taking past the tipping point
Fortunately only a few scratches on the bars , my wife laughing as she is imagining what it must look like to the rest of the club members and no injuries and me with a slight scratch on one hand but embarrassed and dented ego having done this in front of the club.

Members rush to help us up , I move the bike so its pointing up and a little across the slope from right to left and side stand down for stability

My wife insists I get on first so that I can attach the jacket , she starts to mount , slips as not used to the back bars and falls on her back again. Again members rush to help and with some assistance she is able to mount. Adrenaline pumping , she is quite amused by the whole episode  as she always had had a dread of falling and now that it has happened and was not too bad, she has got that monkey off her back.

Something that I did notice when we were on the way was that the handle bars were buzzing more than normal. Was wondering whether this could have been the effect of the cages as this was the first ride after they had been fitted. However at our first stop when having a good look around the bike , I noticed that the plastic moulding at the back and top of the mirror where it had hit the ground had shifted out of position . On moving it about , it clipped back into position and the buzzing was back to normal. Not sure how this could be explained as the mirrors are quite remote from the bars.

Lesson learned. NEVER park across a slope from left to right no matter how inconvenient it may be.

Thanks to Ryan and his team from  MC for a well engineered product that did exactly what it was designed to do and saved me from some potentially expensive repairs and replacement

Some suggestions on how to touch up the powder coating would be welcomed.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Sounds like they saved you a lot of heartache and money, glad they worked out and nobody was hurt.  Did you receive any damage to the bike at all?  Now I am sitting here wondering if I left the same washer in place.  I have not put the left plastic on yet so maybe it is worth taking the bar off to make sure. 

Ok, took the left side off and no washer back there.  I did not think there would be because the nut has a built in washer but just wanted to verify.  Mainly because I FAILED to read the directions and installed the front bolts first and could not get the rear nut to start on the long cross bar.  Start the rear first and the fronts will go on with no problem.   

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
They lie under her right leg and she normally just lifts her leg up to allow me to fasten the jacket. (Pause for ribald remarks)

I must admit, that statement by itself is quite stimulating in the mental imaging department. However if you want the full ribald
remark treatment from the rest of the forum, you may need to provide pictures of your wife in those tight leather pants that you mentioned.
A few here have limited imaginations. ( I won't say who they are, but their bike color is.... :stirpot:)

I'm glad the cages worked for you, sorry you needed them so soon.  I wonder if some of the snake skin tank grip material cut
and edge sanded to a bevel edge would look decent over the scratched area? I have the rear MC bars powder coated to match my
bike and I was considering doing something like that myself on the outside edge.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Thanks for sharing and I, too, am glad it worked out!  How much damage was done to the mirror??

Sounds like touchup on your black canyons is easy with just some touchup paint.  One day, when mine finally does go over and scratch the hell out of my CHROME canyons, it will be much more problematic.  I like they way they look, but I think I made a mistake.  Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fmwhit

Nice Save by the bars, Perfect Timing on the Install!!!

Fred

Offline wally_games

• Arena

The time came to leave, my wife is quite short and was wearing her new leather riding pants which are quite tight and restrict her leg movement to mount.

This is what caught my attention.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline julianm

Thanks for the comments and agree perfect timing and so pleased no one was hurt.
Attached is a picture of the mirror, it has some of the 3 M protective film and this was the second drop on this side so you are seeing the result of both.
For those interested in tight black leather , here's something a bit more photogenic than my SO.

Offline daringdave

Hmmm, Cat Woman viewed 16 times... Mirror viewed 5 times... sounds about right.  ;D
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Thanks for the comments and agree perfect timing and so pleased no one was hurt.
Attached is a picture of the mirror, it has some of the 3 M protective film and this was the second drop on this side so you are seeing the result of both.
For those interested in tight black leather , here's something a bit more photogenic than my SO.

Does your wife know you just said that??? LOL ;D
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline julianm

Fortunately doesn't read this forum otherwise ,I'm sure the Dragonlady ( her club name) would sort me out

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Fortunately doesn't read this forum otherwise ,I'm sure the Dragonlady ( her club name) would sort me out
I'm tempted to tell on you. Why you say?...why would I break the man code?  :yikes:

Because you put up a huge picture of your damaged mirror (2816x2112)  and a little tiny one (150x112) of M.P. Catwoman.
Julian', get your priorities in order.  ;D

Fixed it. (2000x1319)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Thanks for field testing the bars. Glad no one hurt and glad I can count on my bars to protect the bike.

Offline julianm

I'm tempted to tell on you. Why you say?...why would I break the man code?  :yikes:

Because you put up a huge picture of your damaged mirror (2816x2112)  and a little tiny one (150x112) of M.P. Catwoman.
Julian', get your priorities in order.  ;D

Fixed it. (2000x1319)

Thanks bru for your discretion in this sensitive topic and fixing the pic. Got carried away with Catwoman and forgot to shrink the pic of the mirror.

On a slightly more serious note , when I came out to bike after the drop and the ride,I noticed a small puddle of liquid under the left bottom fairing. Heart drops , think OMG have I cracked a casing or something. So take off the bars , 1/16 turn at a time as I can't buy a ratcheting ring spanner that size locally and my ratcheting socket drive with the 16 mm socket is too long . Take off the middle and lower fairing and find it is just the overflow from the radiator bottle. At the last service the oil breather and radiator overflow pipes were routed into the bottom fairing and not past it. The fluid then accumulated in the fairing and ran out when stopped.
Looking at the shape of the radiator bottle , if the bike drops to the right some of the fluid will run out of the overflow pipe. The level was down to the minimum so I topped it up.

Maybe worthwhile for any of you who have had the misfortune of a drop  to check the radiator level as a precaution.

As I couldn't face the 1/16 turn at a time , went looking for an alternative. Bought a 16/17 double swivel socket spanner but that didn't allow enough rotation to the next flat . Also bought a $1.50 16 mm open and ring spanner and ground down the middle . This now allowed about an 1/8 th turn per time before it hit the fins and did not have to shift between fin openings to get to the next flat. Not as good as the ratchets but an improvement. Used the normal spanner to do the final tightening. See pic.