Author Topic: Phil's wedges-Soon to be available  (Read 11950 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Phil's wedges-Soon to be available
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
A lot of you guys have these wedges but, because they were hand-made, weren't available in large quantities. The "wedges" are a thin shim with a 6 degree wedge shape that, when placed under the stanchion base, tilts the whole handle-bar assembly in toward the steering bearing. This raises the bar-ends over 1", brings them back about 1/4", shortens the spread some and makes the hand-grips more horizontal. They don't require any changes to cables or hoses. I started making them because I didn't like the compound twist the stock bars impose on my wrists.
These "wedges" can be used on a stock bike or on top of any of the riser-blocks being sold. Since they are .300 thick at the thickest part, longer bolts may be required.

Unfortunately, they also require 6 hand-made washers that have the same 6 degree angle cut that allows the bolts to tighten on parallel surfaces. I think I made over 700 of them and couldn't bring myself to continue making more. 

"Murph's kits" has picked up the idea and will be making them for sale shortly. I don't know his price, but I'm sure it will be reasonable given the cost of making the washers and wedges.

This farkle is not a solution for everyone, I offered them on a "try them and return them if you don't like them" basis and most people liked the effect. I sincerely appreciate Murph making them available so everyone who wants them has a source.

If you have one of my sets, let's hear from you so we can get the word out to support Murph.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Phil's wedges-Soon to be available
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
Murph is a great resource!

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Murph is a great resource!

+10  But there's just something about him....makes me think!  Anybody that can get an order on Monday, and have it to me by Thursday, has something up his sleeve!  His "top notch" shipping department is TOP NOTCH! 

I'm not sure what is accomplished with these shims though.  Is it just to bring the bars closer together?
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Got wedges from Phil two different times for both my bikes...have two top and bottom on my 08...unbelievable comfort!  Just put one set on my 2010 last night...Phil talked me thru the install....he is the best...and I have his rack on the rear to hold my Givi box too...best machining and fit available...

Phil..glad you are with us...

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
+ 1 set here Phil, you can be proud that your stuffs are found half the globe from Texas  :) :) :)

at

Offline Bruce Prichard

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:11:11 AM »
Dear All,
Being a senior rider (age wise) of some 63 years and with arthritus quite bad from neck to toe, I was looking for that
something extra to assist in bringing the bars back that little bit more. I already have 2" (2 inch) risers which assist with this, but needed that little bit more, then I read an article on one of the web sites State side where someone had tried and was looking for more. Anyway after sourcing the supplier and his site I contacted Phil and now have some fitted to my 2011 1400GTR/ C14. I love them!! For shear comfort I can ride for two hours before having a break and without pain to the shoulders or neck. The wedges lift the bars up approximately 1" on the ends and bring them toward the rider about 1/2" or as Phil shows on his site approximately six degrees.
It is important to use the washers as the integral strength of the bolt head is a must. Without the washers the head would only make contact at one tiny point.
They are made from an aluminum material and do not require further adjustment to the hosing, simply loosen all hoses
if fitting on top of risers and slip under each upright. Torque strength is supplied with the wedges.
My riding position is now sitting quite upright, which suits me alot better than leaning forward in the sports style position.
I love them and wish I'd heard of them when I purchased my 2009 1400 GTR.
I'm a forum member and live in Australia where I ride twice a week 350k's on a Wednesday and 400k's on our club day which is a Sunday. I love the wedges and If you're looking for a recommendation, You Have It !!!!!! Love Em, thanks Phil.
Regards,
Bruce Prichard
Perth
Australia

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
What size bolts did you use with the 2-inch riser/wedge combination? 
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
What size bolts did you use with the 2-inch riser/wedge combination?

I am wondering the same thing- if they are compatible with not only the Helibars risers, but also the bolts included in the Helibars...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
I tried to keep the wedges as thin as possible while maintaining a 6 degree angle, but adding the angled washers, you need 4 bolts about 1/4" longer and the outer 2 bolts about 1/2" longer. Depending on the additional length of the bolts that came with your risers they MAY work. At least you can probably try them with the bolts you have, just don't go nuts tightening them unless you have good thread engagement. You don't want to strip the top-clamp. If they work to your satisfaction then buy longer bolts.

stlheadake: The purpose is not to bring the bars inward, that's just a consequence of the tilt. The thing I was after was to relieve some of the downward angle of the bars. By tilting them toward the steering bearing, the bar-ends come closer to horizontal. This photo may help. The bar in the rear has the wedge under the base.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »
I just installed a set last night which I recieved from Phil last week. I've been suffering some tendonitis issues with my right wrist so I wanted to try something to take a little more pressure off my wrists. I already had a set of 2" helibar risers on my 09 C14. The wedges & washers went on in about 30 min. Pretty cut & dry. I used all the original bolts that came with my risers. There was plenty of extra thread on the bolts I had. I was very surprised at the difference it made. It brought the bars up to the perfect height & eliminated the pressure to the inside of my wrists. I guess this is due to the bars being at a flatter angle. If you're suffering from wrist, shoulder, back or neck pain when you ride this may be what your looking for. I'm glad I gave them a try. :)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline 2011Blk

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
 :( Bummer, just learned about Phil's wedges today and then I find they are not currently available (just checked Murph's web page). They sound like the perfect solution to getting a bit more rider comfort on those long days since I already have Murph's bar risers installed.
Are you sure you don't have some washers that fell under a workbench or got behind some stuff in the corner so you could make one more set?  ;D  Oh well guess I'll have to check Murph's web site a couple times a day until I see them available.
TJ

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
I put a set of these on with my 2" Genmar risers.  I used the bolts that came from Genmar and there was plenty of thread.  I believe they are 80mm but don't quote me on that.  The wedges in combination with the pullback from the risers and you have a comfortable situation.  No more full extension of the arms to sit up straight.  I'm 5'11".  I have a 2011.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
:( Bummer, just learned about Phil's wedges today and then I find they are not currently available (just checked Murph's web page). They sound like the perfect solution to getting a bit more rider comfort on those long days since I already have Murph's bar risers installed.
Are you sure you don't have some washers that fell under a workbench or got behind some stuff in the corner so you could make one more set?  ;D  Oh well guess I'll have to check Murph's web site a couple times a day until I see them available.
TJ

Do you check the classifieds section on this forum? These posted there this past weekend...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2035.0

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Another thing to try out........

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
Might have to give these a shot when Murph has them ready.  My 2" Heli risers helped a great deal but the heal of my throttle hand still gets sore on longer rides.  I can "get by" by rotating my elbow up and putting the heal of my right hand on top of the throttle, but it's kind of like when you're butt gets sore in the saddle...no amount of repositioning seems to help much or for very long.  My left hand is always fine, so it has to be associated with the angle the bars put my wrist at while working the throttle.

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
I just returned home from an 8,500 mile trip through the western states, BC & Alberta Canada. Waiting fom me was a set of Murph's version of my wedges and I'm blown away by the finish and quality of workmanship. I wish I had been able to match that level of workmanship, but mine were hand-made and it's obvious his are professionally produced. I wish Murph all the success in the world selling these and I really appreciate the fact I don't have to make any more!  ;)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
I have been waiting patiently for these to appear on Murph's site, hopefully they will be available soon......Hey Murph you out there?

Offline Bagger

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 06:13:14 PM »
I just returned home from an 8,500 mile trip through the western states, BC & Alberta Canada. Waiting fom me was a set of Murph's version of my wedges and I'm blown away by the finish and quality of workmanship. I wish I had been able to match that level of workmanship, but mine were hand-made and it's obvious his are professionally produced. I wish Murph all the success in the world selling these and I really appreciate the fact I don't have to make any more!  ;)

Phil .... your wedges were just terrific.  I could see all that you put into each set.  And, when I accidentally dropped a washer down inside my bike, you sent me another set quickly and at no charge.  You, m'friend, are a real class act !  I have your rear deck, too.  Excellent quality.

I wish I could do a 8500 mile trip some day.  Perhaps I will.  But, here's kudos to you, Phil .... a really nice guy and innovator for us 'normal' folk.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
I still haven't seen the wedges on Murph's site.  Any idea when we can expect these to hit the street?  I know I would love to get a set to make the ache in my wrist go away.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
I tried to keep the wedges as thin as possible while maintaining a 6 degree angle, but adding the angled washers, you need 4 bolts about 1/4" longer and the outer 2 bolts about 1/2" longer. Depending on the additional length of the bolts that came with your risers they MAY work. At least you can probably try them with the bolts you have, just don't go nuts tightening them unless you have good thread engagement. You don't want to strip the top-clamp. If they work to your satisfaction then buy longer bolts.

stlheadake: The purpose is not to bring the bars inward, that's just a consequence of the tilt. The thing I was after was to relieve some of the downward angle of the bars. By tilting them toward the steering bearing, the bar-ends come closer to horizontal. This photo may help. The bar in the rear has the wedge under the base.

I wonder if you can reverse the wedges to get the bar angle lower?
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"