Author Topic: Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...  (Read 21909 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...Question for electrical guys
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
I’m still going over wiring options for these lights. I don’t want them tied to the hi-beam switch because I want to use them independently of the bikes lighting system (try to refrain from all the legal and ethical lighting discussion please), but I like the idea of a dimmer. I found this, and I was hoping I could use it somehow. It's weather resistant, and it’s an on-off, rheostat type switch (OEM grip heater switch). Do the electrical folks here think this would work?

Thanks!

I can't technically tell you why, but it is my understanding that a rheostat type switch is not desirable for LED lighting. I think it
may have some effect but not enough for what I assume that you are trying to achieve. Hopefully others will come along with
the technical details. This is why special dimmers are made and sold.
Using an inexpensive diode from Radio Shack you can tie those in to your high beams and still have an independent switch for use without the high beams. I only mention this last because it was my experience that I couldn't dim my lights fast enough when encountering opposing traffic at night when the humidity was low and I didn't get any warning (headlight glow) when they came over the next hill. It sounds like you could hit two switches quickly, and I really tried to do it fast, but alas I still got lots of flashing complaints in between my two switch hits. Just a thought so you don't have to go back and redo it like I did.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 08:31:48 AM »
For what's it worth, I wrote up a detailed Tech article on the use of a dimmer with LED lights.  I run my LEDs at about 1/2 power as auxillary running lights (day and night).  When I turn on the bike high beam, the dimmer circuit is bypassed and the LEDs run at full power.  I'm (again) providing this write-up.

That is a great article and very helpful.

Joncon11

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
For what's it worth, I wrote up a detailed Tech article on the use of a dimmer with LED lights.  I run my LEDs at about 1/2 power as auxillary running lights (day and night).  When I turn on the bike high beam, the dimmer circuit is bypassed and the LEDs run at full power.  I'm (again) providing this write-up.

I have this downloaded and I look at it frequently, thank you for the time and effort. I am looking for options independent of the bikes lighting system. Your write-up has some ideas that can be used for this.

Thanks for the replies!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
I can't technically tell you why, but it is my understanding that a rheostat type switch is not desirable for LED lighting.

Typical rheostats and variable resistors lower the voltage.  LED's have a very narrow voltage range requirement and do not "dim" very much when the voltage drops, they just turn off.  Most LED "dimmers" are actually strobe circuits and turn the LED on and off many times a second with a variable amount of "on" vs. "off" time.  This makes it appear that it is dimming.  The bad part is that if the circuit is not well designed, it will lead to visible "strobing" effects that are very annoying.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Typical rheostats and variable resistors lower the voltage.  LED's have a very narrow voltage range requirement and do not "dim" very much when the voltage drops, they just turn off.  Most LED "dimmers" are actually strobe circuits and turn the LED on and off many times a second with a variable amount of "on" vs. "off" time.  This makes it appear that it is dimming.  The bad part is that if the circuit is not well designed, it will lead to visible "strobing" effects that are very annoying.

Yes, what he said.

Also, these LED lights have a built in power supply that provides a regulated voltage and current to the LEDs, and reduces the current automatically if the temperature of the LEDs themselves gets too hot.

If you reduce the input voltage and/or current to the LED light itself, (which is what a rheostat does) you're going to have a narrow window of adjustment, because you are effectively "browning out" the internal power supply.  However, the affect may vary as the temperature of the LEDs themselves change.

So, in short, don't use a rheostat, use a PWM to perform dimming.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Joncon11

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info. What do you guys think about this...

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-47/Rotary-LED-Dimmer-with/Detail.bok
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:09:32 PM by Joncon11 »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info. What do you guys think about this...

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-47/Rotary-LED-Dimmer-with/Detail.bok

That does look like the correct thing, plus, it seems like a nice design.  You can dim them way down for full-time use, then have it blast them with high-beams at night with no other cars.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 12:14:49 AM »

....some of clients requested to add that dimmer on our store so that they can by product from single sale point.

....<snip>...

Skene design dimmer is expensive.
 if I Import and to  keep in my stock  It will be more expensive due to shipping fee from USA and custom fee / taxes of my country. So its not wise to sell on my site.
My be in future we will sell that when we have warehouse  in USA
if any body need any advice regarding my products, wants to give feedback pls feel free to contact me.
I am online very rare. you can email to my Assistant Lisa  lisjackson@gmail.com

Jalthar

Thank you Jalthar, that answers my question. :thumbs:

Joncon11

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »

I just got this switch in the mail. It looks to be of good quality and it has a positive *click* for the “OFF” detent. looks easy enough to wire up, I should have it done this weekend. I’ll post back with how it goes. Oh yeah, it even comes with a wire tap for the high beam tap, I may use something else though, because I’m not familiar with this particular type of tap.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
Ya' know, those lights could be made to fit where the city lights are on a stock C-14. If one was to have a headlight open for other reasons, one might just squeeze them there lights into the housing.... certainly not a 'drop in' but with a little fitting and some relieving of the stock housing I believe they would go. If they were modulated they could still act as city lights and then used as supplemental lights when the high beams were on.

The only thing that is putting me off is the question of quality and perhaps having to return a defective light(s) to India; it is one thing to have an aux. light fail but quite another thing to have part of the internal headlight assembly fail. Then again, those Cree LEDs are available along with the lenses to control the beam.

You people are a bad influence!

Brian

Received an email that the super bright LED driving lights I'm using are on sale, $162 for a pair.  Might have to get me another set.

<snip>

Just an F.Y.I. for those that may be interested.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
I have sited a link to a company selling the same type of light with a vendor who has a great reputation from the ADV forum.  Seems he does not point the finger to India for problem solving but takes care of it himself.   The dimmer indicated above is from the same seller.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Ya' know, those lights could be made to fit where the city lights are on a stock C-14. If one was to have a headlight open for other reasons, one might just squeeze them there lights into the housing.... certainly not a 'drop in' but with a little fitting and some relieving of the stock housing I believe they would go. If they were modulated they could still act as city lights and then used as supplemental lights when the high beams were on.

The only thing that is putting me off is the question of quality and perhaps having to return a defective light(s) to India; it is one thing to have an aux. light fail but quite another thing to have part of the internal headlight assembly fail. Then again, those Cree LEDs are available along with the lenses to control the beam.

You people are a bad influence!

Brian

I was wondering that exact same thing when I saw your thread about replacing the H4 bulbs and reflectors project.  I even thought about asking you for the dimensions of the city lights area, and if there was room behind that area of the housing.  However, my project list is already too long, with no free time to do anything, so I didn't.

If your curiosity gets the better of you, and you would like the exact dimensions of these lights, let me know.  I think it would be way cool.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
Once the headlight assembly is apart, there is quite a bit of room and a lot of possibility to modify it provided the modifier is willing to hack mangle neatly trim the housing or remove it entirely and then butcher modify the housing shelf itself.

The City light lens is a small removable molded plastic part; the ID is 39 mm but again, it would be easiest and I think much better looking to just throw that away. That would leave you with the two small chromed projection covers that are wrapped around them. The ID of those is nearly 49 mm but as you can see, it would be easy enough to trim the ID to something like 55 or perhaps even 60 mm so that something else could be installed.

Once the lenses are gone, and the decorative, inner part of the lens liner is opened up, the only other thing in the way are the original two city light mounts and reflectors. These mount in a rectangular box which is covered from the bottom by a plastic cover held in with four push- rivets so the city lights can be serviced. If that rectangular box was modified or entirely removed, the actual headlight bucket would accommodate a fairly big light, light assembly (such as something like an aux. light or even a flashlight housing / lens / reflector), or independent LED's with reflector and the electronics to drive them. The entire thing could be serviceable from the bottom, which is actually externally available when the headlight ass'y is in the bike, as long as whatever cover is made was made waterproof.

Now if the LEDs were purchased separately, mounted onto a heat sink plate, and reflectors fitted, just about anything could be done inside those headlight buckets. If the diameter or at least the height (for a rectangular reflector) of the entire unit was kept to something like 1" or so, the entire headlight housing could be lined with LEDs such as Audi introduced a few years ago but instead of just bright DRL's, they could actually be spot driving lights and regulated through PWM down to some reasonable DRL simulating level. But if pushed to even 80% of their potential, each diode could easily produce 700 or 800 lumens as long as the heat could be managed- I am thinking of aluminum bars to both mount the LED heat sinks as well as wicking the heat out of and behind the headlight housing. It looks like the diodes, reflectors and current control circuitry are readily available in DIY form although finding drivers for 12 volt diodes as well as the 12 volt LEDs themselves might be a challenge.

It would appear that if the original city light provisions were removed entirely, some type of new shape, high- power LED and reflectors could be installed in a small group in the original city light area. Sort of like a built- in driving light. The only downside that I can see is that there would not be any practical way to aim / align them other than accurately positioning the reflectors / LEDs in exactly the right orientation when they were installed.

Brian

I was wondering that exact same thing when I saw your thread about replacing the H4 bulbs and reflectors project.  I even thought about asking you for the dimensions of the city lights area, and if there was room behind that area of the housing.  However, my project list is already too long, with no free time to do anything, so I didn't.

If your curiosity gets the better of you, and you would like the exact dimensions of these lights, let me know.  I think it would be way cool.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
Excellent info Brian.  The OD of the housing of the lights I bought is exactly 55mm in diameter.  The short part of the body with the screw on lense cap but without the heat sink is 45mm long. The heat sink and bracket unscrew from the back, and with them attached, the overall length is 70mm.

These lights have the power supply and thermal safety protection built in, and they are running them pretty conservative as far as output drive goes.  I base that on the CREE datasheet for one LED being rated for 3000lm at 3amps, and these lights have 4 LEDs, but draw less than 2.5amps for all of them.  In a earlier conversation with jalthar, he said the biggest challenge with designing these lights was dealing with the heat they produce.  That's probably why they're running them so low.

An external PWM controller would be simple to add, and if one were going that far, it would be easy to include a flasher mode, like the pulsating headlights option.  That would be really nice for those days when slower traffic just won't move over.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »
I received some info from 24x7DIY about adding LEDs to the housing, but posted it in Brian's thread about modifying the housing for HID lights, here --> http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10405.msg132361#msg132361.  Pretty good info, and some cool looking units.  Check it out if your interested.  :)

Joncon11

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »

Just a little follow up on this switch. It works flawlessly, the best part is there is no need for fuse blocks, relays, and intricate wiring. Just two bullet connectors to the accessory leads up front, one tap to the red and white high beam wire, and connect the lights. I mounted it with a square of velcro on the center panel where the glovebox used to be, couldn’t be easier.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
So... anybody driving with these on during the day?  :stirpot:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
I have those lights on my bike:( http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_45/products_id/34) and they fail after 10 months using them about 20 minutes every morning on my way to work aproximately 73 hours, two leds on each lamp burnout at the same time, i email the company on India where i get them and the say that LED's fail only for overheating, and this is not the case on mine because i mount them under the mirrors , finaly i end having to buy from them the LED's that cost  $62.00 and replacing  by myself, now they work fine again , when i did the work find that there was not enough heat sink compound  betwen the LED's and the heat sink plate to transfer the heat and due to that they overheat and fail, i think that there is not a good  customer service from this place so i do not recomend to any body  to buy from this place
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline TimmyGreen

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
Received an email that the super bright led lighting I'm using are on sale, $162 for a pair.  Might have to get me another set.

See them here : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_45/products_id/170
And here : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_45/products_id/94

They draw about 2.25 amps each (about 25 watts), and come in black or silver.  The site is a little confusing because they list both the CREE XML T6, and the CREE XML U2, but both pages say XML U2 in the detailed description.  I looked at the data sheet for both LED's, and it looks like the U2's are a little brighter for less current.  Also, the color temp of the ones I have (supposed to be the U2s) are very white (not blue).

These things make driving at night a pleasure (until you have to turn them off for oncoming traffic).  I have them wired directly to my high beams right now, but still have a side project to revamp a PWM controller to run them on the low beams, and use a relay for highs (when I get some free time, with energy).

They are so bright, the reflections from road signs are almost blinding.  When I switch back to low beams, it takes a moment before I can see that my low beam headlights are really working after turning them off.  They throw the light pretty far down the road, while still lighting up the shoulders of the road really well too.  I'm very happy with them.   8)

They also have some lower output versions on sale too : http://24x7diy.com/index.php/cPath/23_45, but why would anyone want less?

Just an F.Y.I. for those that may be interested.

Just awesome man.. I know thread is bit old but these lights looks very bright.. i am searching for these and will try to get them now...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:47:22 AM by TimmyGreen »