Author Topic: Low speed crash with the Canyon cages  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
Low speed crash with the Canyon cages
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
My low speed crash with the MC canyon cages

We were going through yellowstone on the way home from Sturgis ( it was on my bucket list ) we were in a parking lot waiting for people to park when it happened.
I was in the middle of a some what highly banked turn ( turning L to R and the banking was from R to L ) like this  / when I tried to go around a truck and SLAM I was on the ground and rolling down the hill as my bike slid down the asphalt road. Now I have a short inseam at best 27/28 so I have trouble touching the ground but this was all things coming together just right.

Now this road slope was great enough that when I went to pick up the bike it was pretty much up side down with the tires sticking up in the air.
In photo 1 you can see were the cages contacted the ground first on the bottom then all the way up as it slid down the hill.

Photo 2 shows the saddlebag cages you can see they hit low first then slid up as the bike rolled over.

Photo 3 shows the mirror as it contacted the ground as the bike rolled over you can see it was moving by the scratches in the plastic.

photo 4 shows that if the bike rolls all the way over yes you can bend your shifter.

I feel I was very lucky in this low speed crash I walked away and because of the canyon cages I have a small amount of work to do to the bike compared to what I could have had to do.
Other than what I have showed you I came away clean no harm to the bags or other body work.

Dave
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline Z71

Re: Low speed crash with the Canyon cages
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Are these the new MC protectors? I guess I have not been paying much attension to these.  I have the old style large ones that cops use.  Mine would probably prevent the mirror from scratching.

Offline Stubby

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Yes these are the new ones but with the slope of the road and the way it rolled all the way over not sure you could have not got the mirror.

Dave

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
Ouch, sorry Dave...  :'(

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »
Yes these are the new ones but with the slope of the road and the way it rolled all the way over not sure you could have not got the mirror.

Yep.  That is the biggest difference in protection between the Canyons and the Bathroom Bars- the mirrors are not fully protected with the Canyons except with light fall-overs.  If it is a violent fall over that pivots the bike onto the side, the mirrors will hit.  But I think they will help to prevent the mirrors from being snapped off and/or limit the damage to the mirror mounts and underlying structure.

Stubby- sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you are OK and the bars did their job.  Was that it?  No damage to the tires or wheels from being dragged/pushed?

Sounds like McE is going to have to set up an "accident exchange" program to swap out bars that have been smoothed and re-coated :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stubby

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
Maxdog...... No the tires and everything else are OK because of the slope ( that helped cause the whole damn thing ) the bike rolled up onto the bars and slid down the hill so other than the shifter and the mirror gouges I came out of it pretty good. I don't want to think about what the bike would look like if I did not have the cages on as it was not "just" a little tip over.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
Maxdog......

Hey- who you callin' "dog", yo???  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stubby

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
Sorry Max it was pre coffee   :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Maxdog it is from now on.... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Stubby, is that Minidog as your avatar?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »

So it is written, so it shall be..  ;D

Stubby, glad that you came out with relitively minimal damage to the bike and to yourself!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:53 AM »

And a legendary nick name is penned.   :D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Stubby

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »
Stubby, is that Minidog as your avatar?

That is Rocky one of the four little dogs I have joint custody of with my ex wife.  ???  I know don't ask its a long story but the dogs are worth it and the ex is the one who helped me get my bike up after my tip over.  :-X

Maxtog sorry about this I should not type before coffee. ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
Glad you're Ok.  I'm amazed at that protection, about the only way to ask for more would be put the bike inside a steel bubble and weld the door shut
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »
And a legendary nick name is penned.   :D

So we aren't using "Spock" anymore??  ??? :(

That's not logical...  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »

So we aren't using "Spock" anymore??  ??? :(

That's not logical...  :-\

Yo dawg i herd yo and yo dawgs like yo yos so we put yo dawg in a yo yo so yo can yo yo yo dawg while yo dawg yo yos, dawg!   However, the needs of the many dawgs outweigh the needs of the few, or the one dawg.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/xzibit-yo-dawg
http://www.top10-best.com/m/top_10_best_mr_spock_quotes.html

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
Yo dawg i herd yo and yo dawgs like yo yos so we put yo dawg in a yo yo so yo can yo yo yo dawg while yo dawg yo yos, dawg!   However, the needs of the many dawgs outweigh the needs of the few, or the one dawg.

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 04:53:36 AM »

Spock-Maxdog, has a nice ring to it don't you think?

Spock - Fascinating!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn