Author Topic: rattle by start up?  (Read 14081 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
rattle by start up?
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:58:59 AM »
have any of you heard it? Early in the morning, bike cold. Press the start button and it starts, but it rattles for about 2-3 seconds. As soon as (and this is only theory from my part) the oil flows, the rattle fades out. After only 10 seconds you can rev the bike a little (2-3k rpm) without any rattle. But this noise really bothers me and I don't know if it is my bike only. My dealer, which has earned my trust, says that it's normal in this bike.
I was thinking of recording it and placing the video/audio for you folks and give me your opinion. My guarantee is about to run out and I don't want $urpri$e$.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jamiemac

Re: rattle by start up?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:27:57 AM »
They all do it, & yes, it's annoying. You would think that they would have the tensioner thing figured out by now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:29:30 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline W14

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:20:39 AM »
I have an 09 with 21 thousand miles, no rattle. If it started to rattle, I would be concerned as well.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:35 AM »
This is one of those things that really is normal and they ALL do it. Well, except for Brian's bike. He installed a manual chain tensioner.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8103.msg122922#msg122922
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:49:21 AM »
Come now, Martin, as long as you've owned this bike and as long as you've been here, you're just now coming up with this question?  Quite frankly, I'm gobsmacked that you're asking this one.  But not to worry, it's all normal.  The old girl is telling you she's alive and functioning.... ;) :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline c14addict

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:53:11 AM »
My 08' did not rattle until after 1st valve check. With 87Kmiles and 4 valve checks, it even rattles after parking for a while. Figure it must not be damaging with that many miles. Runs just like new after the noise clears, sometimes 5-10 seconds . Replacing with mechanical tensioner is only cure, but requires checking often. Fresh oil always lessens the effect too.
COG 9098
08' C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:29 AM »
gobsmacked? WoW

gob‧smacked   British English   spoken   informal
very surprised or shocked
WORD FOCUS: surprised
very surprised:   amazed, astonished, astounded, dumbfounded, staggered, flabbergasted, gobsmacked   BrE informal, speechless, be lost for words, can't believe your eyes/earssurprised

➔ See also   surprised

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:30 AM »
Stick around, you might learn a few things.  Just finished watching Wheeler Dealers....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »
gobsmacked? WoW

very surprised:   amazed, astonished, astounded, dumbfounded, staggered, flabbergasted, gobsmacked   BrE informal, speechless, be lost for words, can't believe your eyes/earssurprised

➔ See also   surprised

The word of the day? I must say that I've never heard that word before. Can I say that I'm gobsmacked that I've never heard of gobsmacked before?

If you snuck up on someone and smacked them in the gob, would they be gobsmacked twice?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
Possibly..

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:48 AM »
Come now, Martin, as long as you've owned this bike and as long as you've been here, you're just now coming up with this question?  Quite frankly, I'm gobsmacked that you're asking this one.  But not to worry, it's all normal.  The old girl is telling you she's alive and functioning.... ;) :)

Sorry... won't happen again...  :-[

believe it or not, I don't remember having read any big thread about it. You know, where after 4 or 5 posts people use the K-word and start waving their FOBs and pointing at the dyno oil as the culprit of all evil. Then Steve starts playing with barbie dolls and fotographing them in provocative outfits hugging his FOB in suggestive manners...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
Steve is another story entirely.....  The man is in his own world.  However, this forum welcomes characters of all types.  Wouldn't be as fun, otherwise.

That rattle has been with us from day one and as W14 states, some don't have it all.  Mine has been rattling pretty much since I've bought it in the summer of 2007.  I've got 50k on it and no problems to speak of.  I've tried different oils, filters, kept bike on the side stand, kept bike on the center stand.  Not much change at all.  At one point it got more quiet than normal but now it's getting back to the same noise.  I don't worry about it any more as it hasn't caused any harm.  There were some early threads in the previous incarnation of this forum that were quite lengthy and speculative on the source of the noise, probably before your time here.  But it all comes down to that some bikes do it and some don't and there is no harm from it that we're aware of.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:24:57 AM »
Yeah, all dat dare stuff can be distracting.

The rattle bothered me only because I wondered what was causing it. My bike did it only after sitting for hours, and then only when started on the sidestand. If started on the centerstand or with me holding the bike up straight, there was either no rattle or a very faint one. I did an entire write- up on this including pictures and Kirby's input but alas, it went off to forum heaven in the great digital shake up of 2011.

This is the short version: the automatic chain tensioner is extended partially by spring and partially by hydraulic pressure (tapped into the engine's oil galleys). Overnight the oil leaks out- the piston is merely a tight fit in a smooth bore but there is no seal. So until the tensioner is refilled with oil and enough pressure is built (in the tensioner itself, not the entire hydraulic system) the cam chain is loose. As it only rattles when the bike is tilted to the left, I believe the cam chain is simply bouncing along the cylinder wall casting along its normal path. I changed mine to a mechanical cam chain tensioner and poof- no more rattle. I only adjust mine during major maintenance at 25K intervals so it really isn't much of an issue but the automatic unit is of course maintenance free.

I recommend people just ignore it because the manual CCT adds maintenance but if it bothers someone enough, changing the CCT will absolutely cure that rattle.

Brian

believe it or not, I don't remember having read any big thread about it. You know, where after 4 or 5 posts people use the K-word and start waving their FOBs and pointing at the dyno oil as the culprit of all evil. Then Steve starts playing with barbie dolls and fotographing them in provocative outfits hugging his FOB in suggestive manners...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
Yeah, you gotta' watch Jim and his English English speech. He throws 'whist's around like that is a real word. He is a bad influence I tells' ya'.

That's OK, the Limeys think 'gotten' is a made- up word too so always try to use it as much as possible to show you are speaking proper Colloquial English.

Brian

gobsmacked? WoW

➔ See also   surprised
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:01 AM »
Yeah, you gotta' watch Jim and his English English speech. He throws 'whist's around like that is a real word. He is a bad influence I tells' ya'.

That's OK, the Limeys think 'gotten' is a made- up word too so always try to use it as much as possible to show you are speaking proper Colloquial English.

Brian
As in: "He'da gotten gobsmacked if'n he talked like that round these here parts."?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:51:20 AM »
Sort of like that- you could really confuse things if you could work a 'G'day' in there someplace. A 'WHEN SUDDENLY' could also be a nice touch.

Maybe something like this: I was wandering through the back garden (back yard in real speak) WHEN SUDDENLY I was gobsmacked at how these colonists can spoil (means ruin in real English) what is shaping up to be a lovely (means 'nice') G'day (not sure of the meaning but seems to be connected with Barbie having shrimp) by speaking. So I went indoors (means 'inside'), worked on a project by breaking it down to bits (means 'take apart') until it was spoiled (still means 'ruined') and having to bin it (means 'throw it away').

Eh what Gov?

Brian (means 'Brian' except a lot of people misspell it 'Brain')

As in: "He'da gotten gobsmacked if'n he whilst talking talked like that round these here parts."?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
I don't think that's a misspelling.  More of Freudian slip, methinks.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »

I did that back when I was attending photography classes as part of a homework exercise on "product lighting".  Perhaps now that i shoot real people in the real studio I should have Tiffany or such pose with my mad pow-ah FOB 

Steve is another story entirely.....  The man is in his own world. However, this forum welcomes characters of all types.  Wouldn't be as fun, otherwise.

That rattle has been with us from day one and as W14 states, some don't have it all.  Mine has been rattling pretty much since I've bought it in the summer of 2007.  I've got 50k on it and no problems to speak of.  I've tried different oils, filters, kept bike on the side stand, kept bike on the center stand.  Not much change at all.  At one point it got more quiet than normal but now it's getting back to the same noise.  I don't worry about it any more as it hasn't caused any harm.  There were some early threads in the previous incarnation of this forum that were quite lengthy and speculative on the source of the noise, probably before your time here.  But it all comes down to that some bikes do it and some don't and there is no harm from it that we're aware of.

Unfortunately I have to act different outside of the forum and be the normal, career-minded, quiet, reserved type.  You wouldn't recognize me. Hope to shake your hand one day.

But of course the pow-ah of KiPass has changed me tremendously

If a Kawi doesn't rattle take it to the shop  and let the warranty service manager know something is wrong - its trying to become a HONDA! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
All is right with the world.....

Offline danvforce

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
Mine always rattles if started while leaning on the kickstand, if I start it while on the centerstand it doesn't rattle.