Author Topic: Windscreen motor stopped motoring  (Read 8678 times)

Offline CrashGordon

Windscreen motor stopped motoring
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »
A couple months ago, my windscreen motor stopped powering up and down. I checked the fuse, but it was fine. While I was at the dealer to have the brake recall done last week, I asked them about it. The service guy said they'd have to tear down the front to look at the motor and it would take a while. I didn't want to wait so I told him I'd bring it back later. He speculated that it had something to do with my V-Stream windshield plus X-Screen touring shield putting too much pressure on the motor. Does that sound feasible? I've had this setup for almost a year with no problems, but there's no doubt it puts a lot more pressure on the mount and motor than the stock screen.

Offline JeffM

Re: Windscreen motor stopped motoring
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
I've heard a few times that aftermarket shields cause these sorts of issues. The advice was always 'put your stock back on before you service it so the warranty isn't voided'.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »
The typical problem we see is that the sliders break.  I don't think we've seen one where the motor failed, at least from what I remember.  Motor failing should be warranted.   It depends on the dealer though.  If you have a good one, they'll work with you.  If not, you may not get it covered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »
I still have the factory screen and I have another dealer that I can take it to when I'm ready to get it fixed. I really just wanted to know if there was anything else I should check first.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
It would be nice to know the bike year..... ::)

According to my 08 manual, there's a couple of things to check.  There are two relays (up and down) that are identical.  They're on the bracket that blocks the air filter removal.  Looking at them with the fairing off on the left side.  They are the first two that look alike.  I rather doubt that both of them are bad as you said it wouldn't work at all.  If only one direction worked then you could swap relays to see if you could narrow down the problem to one relay.

There is a connector to the motor.  Disconnect it and check the following:

+         -            switch position     standard voltage

green     red              Free                      0

green     red              Up                         battery voltage

red       green            Free                       0

red       green            Down                     battery voltage

30 amp fuse for the windshield motor

I would start at the connector to the motor and work backwards if the voltages aren't there or right.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:42 AM »
Jim, it's an '09 so it should be just like yours. It's actually in the full up position so I don't know if it would go up. I just know it won't go down. When I get a chance, I'll pull the fairing off and check those relays to see if I can determine anything. Thanks for the help!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
Switch the relays and then try to move it down.  You'll know then.  I think it's about the same amount of work to get to either the motor connector or the relays as far as taking things apart goes....  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Offline texrider

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
If you can reach in and get hold of the motor harness, using piercing jumpers to apply 12 volts and a ground both ways will quickly demonstrate whether the motor is able to move at all. It would be the quickest way to know which way to go, after verifying the fuse is able to supply.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
Yep, it is possible that the bigger windshield put more, and maybe too much, pressure on the windshield mechanism. I also run a tall windshield also but I would expect the dealer and mfg. to resist if I tried for a warranty item on the windshield mechanism with an aftermarket windshield. It certainly may not, and probably did not, cause your problem, but any mfg. will beg off given such circumstances.

Unfortunately the only way I know that you can really diagnose the problem is to get to the windshield motor harness and test for voltage when the switch is pressed up / and / down. I believe you can get to the motor by just taking off the windshield and the cover under the windshield but am not entirely sure. If that is correct it would be easier to actually check at the motor than at the relays, and the motor is the more complete diagnosis check anyway (if the relays are OK, you still do not know where the problem is: checking at the motor allows you to diagnose 'down' the circuit).

Brian

A couple months ago, my windscreen motor stopped powering up and down. I checked the fuse, but it was fine. While I was at the dealer to have the brake recall done last week, I asked them about it. The service guy said they'd have to tear down the front to look at the motor and it would take a while. I didn't want to wait so I told him I'd bring it back later. He speculated that it had something to do with my V-Stream windshield plus X-Screen touring shield putting too much pressure on the motor. Does that sound feasible? I've had this setup for almost a year with no problems, but there's no doubt it puts a lot more pressure on the mount and motor than the stock screen.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
I have had mine stop working twice. The first time it happened it was in the full up position. By accident and out of frustration, I physically pushed the windshield down a little while I was jerking it around. I felt it move and I tried it again right after that and it worked normally. That was about six months ago. It happened again about 2 months ago. This time in the full down position. I physically pulled it up about 1/2 inch. Immediately it started to work again and has been good since.

You may want to try this as it has worked for me.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
I run my Cee Baily's tall windshield too fast, as a result i have no issues to report > 60,000 miles. 

But its probably KiPass that protects it, and my unguarded radiator too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
Steve, it can't be KiPass. I have KiPass, too!

Perhaps my black bike is just going faster than the electrical signal from the switch to the windscreen motor. I'm actually at my destination before the windscreen starts moving. :D

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
Brian, thanks for the input. I'll check on that, but the dealer was telling me that getting to the windscreen motor was a fairly time consuming job. I don't trust him completely--my regular dealer has replaced the shop manager and most of the mechanics since I bought my bike there so I'm probably about to jump ship. Luckily, I live in the North Dallas area so there are more than a couple of dealers to choose from.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
Took a quick look in the manual and it does not look all that bad- basicaly what I said, windshield and then the cover under the windshield. Although you might have to remvoe the headlight bucket to get to the motor proper all you need to do is find the connector and wiring to the motor to test for voltage at that point.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the input. I'll check on that, but the dealer was telling me that getting to the windscreen motor was a fairly time consuming job. I don't trust him completely--my regular dealer has replaced the shop manager and most of the mechanics since I bought my bike there so I'm probably about to jump ship. Luckily, I live in the North Dallas area so there are more than a couple of dealers to choose from.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
Mine wouldn't work once a couple of years ago. Went the whole day, with several stops & starts, & still nothing. Next day, it was fine. No problems since. Never did figure out what the cause was.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »
I had same issue on my 08,  dealer kept it for a week as the motor went out and they replaced under warranty.