Author Topic: top cases  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Rocket Therapy

top cases
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
How about some input on top cases. I've been looking at the kawasaki 47 L top case in woods wondering how it does. I've seen a lot of givi top cases on a lot of bikes and was wondering what the difference is. I think they are both quick release. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: top cases
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
I have the Givi E55 on a Phils Farkles rack.  It comes off in seconds and has a lot of storage.  All the cases will come off easily, it just depends on what you want to look at when they are not on. 

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
Keep in mind, the Kawa. trunk requires a plastic universal mounting plate and that adds another layer of plastic. The Givi monokey trunks can mount directly to an after-market rack with an optional kit.   
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
I have the Givi 55 with light kit, luggage rack, and back rest mounted on Phil's rack. I like it, fits two helmets or a ton of beer :P I had to do some modifications for the light kit and for the backrest to make everything work right.

I did a right up on it a while back.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8349.0

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
Coocase S50 is on my short list of farkles.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
I have the Givi 55 with light kit, luggage rack, and back rest mounted on Phil's rack. I like it, fits two helmets or a ton of beer :P I had to do some modifications for the light kit and for the backrest to make everything work right.

I did a right up on it a while back.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8349.0

So your opinion is that the Corbin backrest is more comfortable than that on the top box? I am considering one or the other now.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
So your opinion is that the Corbin backrest is more comfortable than that on the top box? I am considering one or the other now.
As far as comfort I could not tell you as I have never rode back there   ;D

I ran both of them on my last trip and the only complaints were her butt after 200 miles. I found the Corbin backrest on Craigslist and got a smokin deal otherwise she would only have the one on the box.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
The Kawasaki topcase IS a Givi.  It's not the more robust Givi, either.  Still, I bought the Givi equivalent and am very happy with it.  It will hold 2 full-face helmets, plus some other things.  Can't tell you yet about the comfort, as my wife doesn't ride with me very often.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
just trying to get an idea of what I want to get. I take it if I get a Givi I have to get a mounting bracket also??? and that mounts to the "plastic" luggage rack?  and Plil make metal ones "which would be a lot better". What kind of mounting hardware do I need for the Givi?? I've been looking at a lot of boxes and haven't seen mounting hardware for the Givi boxes, so any help would be appreciated.
I like the Kawa box because you can get color matched panel for it, and of course I want the bike to look good, I can paint the trim on a Givi if I have to.  I also want something with a backrest for my girlfriend for it will be on the bike when she is on or when we are traveling but off when riding solo. I know I could also buy a seperate backrest but trying to make the right choice here,  right now I have cages, risers, and sliders coming, I still need a top box, hwy pegs, peg extendtions, gps/radar dect. mounts and a few other things I need to get and I really don't want to do this twice. You guys are more experienced with this bike than I am so throw some things at me please, pictures help also.

thanks

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
I have the Kawa 47l rack with Phils Rack and Admore Lights and am very happy with the set up. Great visability from behind and looks great but most aftermarket racks will save you lots of $. Kawa asks about $800 for the mounting plate and bag and the regular Givi racks are about 50% of that. The Kawa rack is a Givi  with the Kawasaki Label in any case.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »
Phil makes a rack that has the Givi mounts. Actually I think he has the mounts for all types of topcases that he can install on his rack. Phil's rack is a good investment, the stock plastic one is poor quality.

http://www.philsfarkels.com/

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
I have the Kawa 47l rack with Phils Rack and Admore Lights and am very happy with the set up. Great visability from behind and looks great but most aftermarket racks will save you lots of $. Kawa asks about $800 for the mounting plate and bag and the regular Givi racks are about 50% of that. The Kawa rack is a Givi  with the Kawasaki Label in any case.

@ dgold

you say you have a kawa 47L top box on phils rack, Is that what kawa is calling the mount base?? and where do you get the admore light kits? and with the admore kit is it still quick detatch??  and can you tell me how the backrest is for the passenger??
sorry for all the ?????'s

@ tom v

I'll check out philsfarkles

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
When you order the case from KAWASAKI  they should get you the mounting plate, top bag and color correct panel for your year bike. Also order the passenger back rest which is attached directly to the top bag.
With the stock seat positioning of the bag is ok for the passenger but when I installed the Corbin seat then it became crowded back there. I installed a Phils Rack so that the bag could be moved back more and found that as an added benefit the top bag bounces less than it did with the OEM rack.
As for the Admore lights just go to
http://www.admorelighting.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&subpage=12
It took me about 1 hr and 45 minutes to wire it in but next time I would have my tech do it for a cleaner job and I am sure quicker!
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
Here is my Givi E55NT Maxia case with the Admore light kit with running lights, brake lights and blinkers....definitely worth the money, we love it.  Enjoy.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/ljcorby/?action=view&current=GiviCasewithLights4.mp4
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
www.admorelighting.com  There is on twist-lock connector to undo, then the case removes as usual.

Phil supplies mounting points for the Monokey cases to go on his racks.  The Monolock cases require a plaastic adapter, and they're usually included in the topcase purchase.  The backrest pad is a $79 or so option that needs to be oredered seperately from Givi.  Nice thing about Phil's rack is the slots for mounbting the various cases; it gives you some fore/aft adjustability so you can taylor the ride for your passenger

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
very good now I feel like I'm getting somewhere, just need to decide on what case, I really appreciate the input, I could tell you a lot about the Triumph Rocket III but I'm still on a learning curve on the Connie

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
I have the Kawi 47 trunk with Admore light kit (tail lights, brake lights, & blinkers) mounted on Phils rack with Corbin backrest, great setup IMO, and I like that the Kawi trunk is paint matched to my bike and Kawi badged.  :thumbs:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Jay, I just noticed you started the Picture thread on both forums... :o...lol

I used the Custom World backrest with Phils rack and adjustable rails.  On top is the E55.  It took a little modification but nothing extreme.  This will work with any seat.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
You could think outside the box, or in this case, the top case, and find trunks that would work without being designed for the Connie. I offer up my own solution, which is a trunk made for a Baolima Italian motor scooter. It's definitely smaller than the usual cases out there, and has a style that some might find interesting at best and highly offensive at worse, but I kind of like it and it is different than the Givi's, that look like a small flying saucer landed on back of the bike:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
Jay, I just noticed you started the Picture thread on both forums... :o ...lol

Yep, I felt they were needed bro... and now they are some of the most highly active threads on both.  :)

I do what I can to help...  ;)   :chugbeer: