Author Topic: I need to vent about this......  (Read 13867 times)

Offline Leo

Re: I need to vent about this......
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 06:14:45 am »
My son rode all over the midwest with me when he was 3 years old and up.  We went to Springfield and Peoria often for the flat track and TT races.   I had made a wrap around seat where the sides nearly touched my back, brackets to put passenger pegs high enough where he could actually use them. I even had a headrest where he often laid back and napped.    I bought a DOT approved helmet to fit his little head and finished it off with SCOTT youth goggles.  The boots and leather jacket, and gloves were marginal but functional.  (Bates doesn't make leather gear for preschoolers)   I actually was pulled over a few times by Police officers who wanted to inspect the system, and they were all at least approving if not impressed.   If you want to take your kid with you, at least love them enough to do it right.

Motorcycles quickly became old hat with my boy.  I remember one day I told him to get his helmet and I would take him to school.  He replyed " Can't we just take the station wagon like everyone else?"

I like motorcycles and firearms, he like fast cars and archery,  where did I go wrong?   ;D
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:10 am »
T-Cro had the interesting question, was he breaking the Law?  Being as SAS is in NC I can asnwer that, YES, all riders must be on the seat as intended.  If the girl could not reach the pegs on the back where she should have been seated, then she is too young to ride.  The Barbie helmet is not legal as it is not DOT approved, then again I'm sure the Dad wasn't either.  And yes child welfare would have been notified had the bike been found and stopped. 

On to personal opinions, you want to ride around in the neighborhood like described above, fine, I don't like it but go ahead, on the road at 75+ assume the worst will happen and be smart.  SAS, had you called you would have indeed done the right thing, you want to ride without proper gear fine, you want to toss a small child on a bike without gear, not so much.  17 years in law enforcement, I've seen enough dead kids to last a life time, the majority of which were from car accidents without the proper restraints, it can happen to you and yours.    And yes I let my children ride with me, but only when they have ATGATT, even in the neighborhood.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 07:09:24 am »
Maybe you were mistaken and it was his midget girlfriend who loves Barbie?

But if not, it would have made me mad also mate.  I think people care too little about others these days and I would have had the same conversation with myself inside my helmet that you did in yours.  Beside, I would not have thought that was even legal?

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:14 am »
  I got a little upset today from what I saw on my way home from work.  I was on the interstate cruising at 75 mph, as I come up to an on ramp I noticed another motorcyclist coming down. So I checked my mirrors signaled and went into the left lane, giving the bike rider a clear shot to come on.
  As a rider the first thing I look at is riding gear.  He had a skull helmet, T-shirt, cargo pants shorts and flip flops.  I’m a firm believer in ATGATT, but that is his decision.   All of that made my nod my head but what really got my goat was his passenger ……  a 5 year old (if that) sitting on the base of the gas tank and her feet positioned on either side and behind  of the gas cap  >:( . I thought what the hell.  I was at a loss for words gang.  She looked over to me and smiled as I pull next to them. That when I noticed that she was wearing Barbie sandals and pink Barbie foam helmet????  :o  Then they sped off …..Remember I was do 75. 
I’m still fuming about it, when I got home a told my girlfriend and said,” If I had my headset synced to my phone I would have called the police”.   Would that have taking it too far?  I mean I’ve done it to a drunken driver that was weaving in front of me when I’ve been in my car.  Get that idiot a reality check.

Your thoughts please

Cheers
Ron

PS. my phone is now synced to my headset.

IMO your initial instinct is spot on... what he chooses to wear is his business, but when he endangers another, it becomes our business... I wish you would have memorized his plate and called him in anyway...

IIRR, In CO it is against the law to ride any passenger that cannot reach the foot pegs...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 09:40:11 am »
Some good comments.  Even respectful.  Cool.

I do not equate legal with moral or wise.  They can be the same, but often are not.  Many legal actions are "bad", while many illegals actions are not.

As to watching shows not harming children:  Once Hitler controlled the media, (many of) the children raised watching, reading, hearing, learning his message grew up to willingly participate in the horrors on Nazi Germany.  IMO, that is much worse that falling off a motorcycle.

As to caring, it is bold to suggest that minding one's own business is tantamount to being uncaring.  I thought that should have been clear in my first post, but apparently it was not.  Many laws have been proposed and enacted in the name of caring that only served to restrict legitamate freedoms.  Every one of us every day "endangers" ourself as well as others.  Merely having running water and electricity in our homes is a risk.  Driving a car, we endanger a huge number of people almost every time we get on a city street or highway.  Same with bikes, perhaps more danger to ourself and less to others than a car, but the same principle is effective.  The world seems to have plenty of caring people who want to take away our cars, motorcycles, knives, guns, trampolines, lawn darts, bb guns, etc.

If you really care, should you have cps take your neighbor's kids away if he buys a trampoline?  No, being caring and being a busybody are not the same thing.

Again, teach correct principles and let people govern themselves.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:33 am »
I miss my Jarts....
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:09 am »
 :goodpost:

Some good comments.  Even respectful.  Cool.

I do not equate legal with moral or wise.  They can be the same, but often are not.  Many legal actions are "bad", while many illegals actions are not.

As to watching shows not harming children:  Once Hitler controlled the media, (many of) the children raised watching, reading, hearing, learning his message grew up to willingly participate in the horrors on Nazi Germany.  IMO, that is much worse that falling off a motorcycle.

As to caring, it is bold to suggest that minding one's own business is tantamount to being uncaring.  I thought that should have been clear in my first post, but apparently it was not.  Many laws have been proposed and enacted in the name of caring that only served to restrict legitamate freedoms.  Every one of us every day "endangers" ourself as well as others.  Merely having running water and electricity in our homes is a risk.  Driving a car, we endanger a huge number of people almost every time we get on a city street or highway.  Same with bikes, perhaps more danger to ourself and less to others than a car, but the same principle is effective.  The world seems to have plenty of caring people who want to take away our cars, motorcycles, knives, guns, trampolines, lawn darts, bb guns, etc.

If you really care, should you have cps take your neighbor's kids away if he buys a trampoline?  No, being caring and being a busybody are not the same thing.

Again, teach correct principles and let people govern themselves.

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:30 am »
I have no problem watching an adult taking willing chances with their life. As long as it doesn't affect me. If someone wants to do do wheelies down the freeway at 75mph, fine, but not in traffic where their crash could cause a multi car accident and injure me. If they want to shoot up heroin and die, so what, as long as they don't steal from me or my community to support their death wish. If they want to hood surf at 65 mph (I did once) then so be it, as long as I won't be affected by their behavior.

However, when a child is involved with reckless endangerment, I will sure get involved and notify the local authorities. It's then up to them to make the judgement and penalize or let off the adult risking the child.

None of my business? I would be haunted for life with the visions of a child killed senselessly in front of me...
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
The purpose of civilization and the Christian religion especially and all the laws and rules that derive from those institutions is to "take care of society's weakest and most vulnerable." A child certainly qualifies.

I agree with the original poster. I would've had the nearest LEO on his ass asap. Besides being a total retard, let's say he crashes and his daughter is killed or horribly injured. Obviously the idiot father gets blamed, but so do ALL OF US. If we don't want more "do-gooder" laws like the one just passed in Texas that all you Libertarian/TP types bitch about, then take some responsibility and help self-police the sport.

Would the idiot father listen to one of us? Who knows and who cares. He's hurting motorcycling, a sport I've been involved in all my life and I thoroughly resent those who do things that hurt or lead to limits on my riding. Don't even get me started on the HD crowd and their open pipes that **** off people for blocks away . . .

When my daughter was about 7, she and I were on a ride to Kentucky. She was wearing all the right gear and a harness I bought designed to allow you to carry a child so they could not fall off the back of a motorcycle or snowmobile. She was securely strapped to me and as safe as I could make her. Someone on the Interstate called the State Patrol and one pulled up to us when I stopped for gas. He checked to make sure she was secure, was satisfied, told us to have a nice day and drove off. Was I PO'd? Not really. He was doing his job, I was doing mine as a parent. No big deal.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 11:58:05 am »
I miss my Jarts....
:chugbeer: Oh hell yeah...I still have the set from when I was a child.  I was luck enough to go visit my parents and found them in the garbage. That was a close one. Maybe I will pack them up and take them to the Nationals.  I still have my wood burning kit also.  You know the one; the one with the two foot cord.  I put some serious hole in the carpet with that bad boy.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 03:12:19 pm »
I have no problem watching an adult taking willing chances with their life. As long as it doesn't affect me. If someone wants to do do wheelies down the freeway at 75mph, fine, but not in traffic where their crash could cause a multi car accident and injure me. If they want to shoot up heroin and die, so what, as long as they don't steal from me or my community to support their death wish. If they want to hood surf at 65 mph (I did once) then so be it, as long as I won't be affected by their behavior.

However, when a child is involved with reckless endangerment, I will sure get involved and notify the local authorities. It's then up to them to make the judgement and penalize or let off the adult risking the child.

None of my business? I would be haunted for life with the visions of a child killed senselessly in front of me...

:goodpost:

Exactly the way I feel...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »
I think there is a threshold of what constitutes reckless behavior with children.  Riding with a kid on the tank is not a good idea, no arguing that, but we aren't used to seeing that either.  I travel a lot in Southeast Asia, and it is very common to see, 1, or 2 or more small children and sometimes entire families riding on motorbikes.  That's how they travel.  That's often the only way they have of travelling.

Personally I don't think riding with a small child on a tank in itself warrants getting in the middle of the situation.  If it's in a particularly reckless manner, then yes.  Sort of like the previously mentioned example of seeing a kid get spanked in the supermarket.  Kudos to parents that excercise disipline on their kids.  Beating the crap out of a kid is an entirely different matter.

Offline throb

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 06:56:45 pm »
I like motorcycles and firearms, he like fast cars and archery,  where did I go wrong?

Different position and velocity, same potential outcome.  Don't think you went wrong at all!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline booger

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »
If no laws are being broken

Well, in Texas, a child under the age of 5 cannot ride as a passenger on a motorcycle.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »
Well as long as we are fantasizing about possible outcomes of the scenario, let's toss this one out:

Father and daughter have a great relationship, including riding together on the motorcycle.  Do-gooder/busybody/caring citizen calls the police.  CPS is involved.  Dad gets fined and some jail time.  Family finances take a beating.  Divorce.  Daughter loses loving relationship with dad.  At 14, runs away from now-broken home.  Lives on street.  Becomes hooker.  Dies of drug overdose at 17.

Since the do-gooder never gets to see the results of their action, they sleep peacefully, never knowing of the lives they have destroyed.

One could argue that it is a bit far-fetched, but it is just as likely as the girl dieing in a crash in front of your eyes.

So I still say, none of your business.  Mind your own kids.  Please.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.