Author Topic: Capillar O-Ring cruise control  (Read 10153 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
Capillar O-Ring cruise control
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
  Just drove to a CAT dealer today and picked up the correct part and seems to work very well.  Only a short ride so far but seems to be easy on and off.  See the video below.  Cost me $6.05 and a 52 mile round trip.  Never rode with a Throttlemeister but hard to imagine how one would be that much better.

O-Ring Cruise Control for Motorcycles
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Capillar O-Ring cruise control
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
It works ok, but the throttle return is borderline too strong for it to work perfectly IMHO. The Go-Cruise works much better for me.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline bubfryder

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
I have the go-cruise, and it doesn't have enough oomph to keep the throttle from returning to neutral.  This might be just the ticket  :D

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
I use the 1 1/4" o-rings and hook them over the heated grip wire. I used this on my last bike for years and on the Connie since I bought it in February. Works great after you get use to twisting your wrist the other way on decel. You can pick them up for penny's at a hardware store.

I rode with a guy that put them on the other side as you suggest, and he told me he loses them every now and then when he rolls it out of the groove. $6 isn't much but a trip to the local CAT dealer is a slight pain for those that don't live in farm country. Jay rode my bike one day and was not used to it so I told him to cut it off without even thinking twice. As you can see I carry extras.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
Jay rode my bike one day and was not used to it so I told him to cut it off without even thinking twice.

Ya, I didn't care for it at all, I cracked the throttle and it didn't crack back...  :o

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »
I have the go-cruise, and it doesn't have enough oomph to keep the throttle from returning to neutral.  This might be just the ticket  :D

Interesting, cause mine works great.  ???
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
  Just drove to a CAT dealer today and picked up the correct part and seems to work very well.  Only a short ride so far but seems to be easy on and off.  See the video below.  Cost me $6.05 and a 52 mile round trip.  Never rode with a Throttlemeister but hard to imagine how one would be that much better.

Just the weight of the bar ends made it better for me.  Plus more precise.... roll off easier, borrow my bike and time and compare. I've used both and a few other solutions too =)

cost - the cat o-ring wins of course
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline texrider

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Can't imagine a more alien feeling than to have a cruise control on a motorcycle. That, and car tires on the back.  :o
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »
Throttle lock, not cruise. And the C14 should be standard with cruise, the option to use or not use would be nice.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Can't imagine a more alien feeling than to have a cruise control on a motorcycle.

Have you ever slabbed it for a couple hours +...  ::)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
  Never heard of the go-cruise until Pokey's post.  I have and use grip puppies and throttle rocker.  I have had bike's with cruise for years and I would engage the cruise only to give a break for a few minutes.  Cruise control on a bike always felt weird, like giving up control.  I don't get that felling with a throttle lock.  I did miss the cruise giving my hand a break on the C-14 though.  The go cruise looks interesting because it would allow acceleration and just go back to a preset rest position.   I wish the Vista Cruise was a consideration since it disengages when throttle is closed.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Skinny

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »

Do you have a pt # for that?
'12 C14, Aeroflow, AST risers, rad gaurd, Seth Laam Seat

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »
uTube video says: Caterpiller part no. 8M-4991
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline texrider

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »

Have you ever slabbed it for a couple hours +...  ::)

It's always a couple hours to anywhere, around here.  8)

Get a grip.  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
It's always a couple hours to anywhere, around here.  8)

Get a grip.  ;D

A couple of hours is nothing. Try riding 15 hours straight, then do it again the next day and get back to me on it.  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
Yeah, right.  Try riding 72 hours without getting off and then come talk to me.... ::)   No refueling either.

Actually, close to 24 and cruise control would have come in handy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
Uh oh, this is starting to sound like a contest.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
In my experience, neither the O-ring or Go Cruise work all that well as a throttle lock when used separately, but they work great when used together.  Also, it is much easier to slide the O-ring into throttle lock position when using the Go Cruise because you can remove your right hand off the grip to slide the O-ring into place without losing speed.

2010 C14 ABS

Offline Skinny

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
I just ordered 10 Cat O-rings for $10 free shipping from these folks.........http://www.tornadoparts.com/servlet/the-50/CAT-Silicone-ORing-8M4991/Detail

Why did I order 10? .........So I can give them out to all you folks when we go for a ride sometime :chugbeer:
'12 C14, Aeroflow, AST risers, rad gaurd, Seth Laam Seat

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
I use the Go-Cruise and it works great. I did have to put a second "rubber band" on the grip to keep the throttle from creeping back.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold