Author Topic: C14'ers that have modified their brakes  (Read 7747 times)

Offline eng943

C14'ers that have modified their brakes
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
I really do not like the linked brakes on the C14, as they are much too grabby. I have done some searching and have caught bits and pieces of those that seem to share my opinion. However, it was not very clear in the threads I read what to do about it.

Is there a better set of pads that will reduce the grabby feel of the brakes, or would eliminating that grabby feel require different rotors/calipers?

It's hard to believe Kawasaki did not do a better job of delivering a braking package that was smoother and more predictable.   

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: C14'ers that have modified their brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »
Galfer HH
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline eng943

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
I really do not like the linked brakes on the C14, as they are much too grabby. I have done some searching and have caught bits and pieces of those that seem to share my opinion. However, it was not very clear in the threads I read what to do about it.

Is there a better set of pads that will reduce the grabby feel of the brakes, or would eliminating that grabby feel require different rotors/calipers?

It's hard to believe Kawasaki did not do a better job of delivering a braking package that was smoother and more predictable.

Why do you think it's caused by the brakes being linked?  I have complaints about the linked brakes too, but being grabby isn't one of them.  Sounds more like you have contaminated pads or rotors.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
I found them very grabby since I bought it 38,000 miles ago. This is my only true complaint about the C-14. I wish you could atleast turn it off. Or maybe the rear brake could just be the rear brake.
Joel from Maine.

Offline eng943

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »
Why do you think it's caused by the brakes being linked?  I have complaints about the linked brakes too, but being grabby isn't one of them.  Sounds more like you have contaminated pads or rotors.

Because when applying rear brake there is a very abrupt point at which the front brake is then engaged, and it is too much front brake. It should be more progressive, and a smoother engagement. It is compounded by the front end diving down when this happens, which I am not used to having been on duo/tele-lever bikes.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
Because when applying rear brake there is a very abrupt point at which the front brake is then engaged, and it is too much front brake. It should be more progressive, and a smoother engagement. It is compounded by the front end diving down when this happens, which I am not used to having been on duo/tele-lever bikes.

Okay, I have noticed that.  Usually when entering a low speed tight turn, if I step on the back without any front applied, it tugs on the handlebars a little when it grabs (tries to pull them to the right).  Now I understand what you were talking about.

There was a post on here somewhere by someone that bypassed the link brakes by replacing or re-routing the brake hoses.  I didn't find it with a search though.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »

I almost never use the rear brake, so I can neither confirm nor deny the behavior.  But there is a setting for strong or weak linking.  Which is yours set to?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
I almost never use the rear brake, so I can neither confirm nor deny the behavior.  But there is a setting for strong or weak linking.  Which is yours set to?

I'll chime in first...  I always run in High Combined mode.  I can't stand the guessing game of where the rear brake pedal will engage in normal mode, based on the timing of when I apply the front brakes.  Once I got used to the amount of braking force it seems to offer, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Offline pistole

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »
- there's a rear brake on this bike ?

:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:56 AM »
My brakes are linked via human interface.  I use both of the them for the most part.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:05 AM »
My brakes are linked via human interface.  I use both of the them for the most part.

+1  The interface is highly accurate and has been highly refined after the years, works great too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:46 AM »
I have owned linked and non linked C-14s. The non linked went 40,000 miles not needing brake pads. My linked brake version needed brake pads at 20,000. So for what little good they do it adds double the brake service costs. Good job Kawi.
Joel from Maine.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
I bought my 2009 after test ridding a 2010 with linked brakes. I was not impressed how they grabbed while engaging the rear brake during slow maneuvers.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
I hot brake into mountain curves every summer.  The linked grabs "nothing" compared to the ABS pulsing.....    I think you guys need to hit your brakes harder
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »
I've owned five motorcycles with Linked brakes.  It is not linked brakes per se that is the problem - it is the Concours linked brakes that is the problem.  I totally agree with the comments the OP and others have made.  After many, many years of riding, this bike broke me of using the rear brakes.  I still use them some and am always amazed at how poorly they work.  As others have said, if you are on the front brake and the rear, the rears give you a sudden jolt of braking that is very abrupt, uneven and unexpected.

When I first changed my pads I thought it helped a little, but after a couple of rides I realized it was wishful thinking.  The problem is in the system and I feel like the only fix would be to put some really bad pads on the rear that are so ineffective that they just don't really do anything except to make you think you fixed the problem.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »
Sell your 2010+ C14s and buy a 2008/2009 model.  :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

No linked brakes, although the rear brake is still not very powerful.
I mostly use the rear brake in the wet and to stabilise the bike going into corners (trail braking).
So far I have 50k miles and still on the OEM brake pads and rotor.

Fronts are on their 3rd set of pads and 2nd rotor.
OEM pads lasted to 25k, EBC HH lasted 22k, and 3rd set is EBC HH as well.
OEM rotors lasted to 47k (down to 4.1 & 4.2mm) and were replaced with Chinese Asashi rotors.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
- there's a rear brake on this bike ?

:)

I think they put it on for "liability" reasons... the extra 2% less of stopping distance with rear factored is irrelevant from 150ish down
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline eng943

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
I've owned five motorcycles with Linked brakes.  It is not linked brakes per se that is the problem - it is the Concours linked brakes that is the problem.  I totally agree with the comments the OP and others have made.  After many, many years of riding, this bike broke me of using the rear brakes.  I still use them some and am always amazed at how poorly they work.  As others have said, if you are on the front brake and the rear, the rears give you a sudden jolt of braking that is very abrupt, uneven and unexpected.

When I first changed my pads I thought it helped a little, but after a couple of rides I realized it was wishful thinking.  The problem is in the system and I feel like the only fix would be to put some really bad pads on the rear that are so ineffective that they just don't really do anything except to make you think you fixed the problem.

Looks like you cured your complaints with the C14 brakes. Enjoy the K16, it's an amazing bike.

Offline eng943

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
I'll chime in first...  I always run in High Combined mode.  I can't stand the guessing game of where the rear brake pedal will engage in normal mode, based on the timing of when I apply the front brakes.  Once I got used to the amount of braking force it seems to offer, I'm quite comfortable with it.

I tried that mode and did not seem to feel an improvement, but it's worth another try. I may look to eliminate the linked brakes if this does not work.