Author Topic: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night  (Read 7581 times)

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
Re: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »
I feel the shot in the gut you had.

Got the call from my daughter earlier this year, 1 week after her 18th bd.  Pulled out from a stop sign in a Toyota Corolla, only to get smashed in the driver's side by a Ford Expedition.  Totalled the Toyota, but amazingly she and her friend were unhurt but for a scratch or two.  The Expedition was probably doing around 45 at impact.  Knocked all the left front suspension into the tranny, airbag deployed, etc.  Hit just in front of the driver's door.  A split second and a foot difference we probably would have received the call from someone other than my daughter. 

Liability on the car only as well.  Sold it to a junkyard.  I have nothing but good to say about how a Toyota can hold up in a crash.  So glad she wasn't badly hurt.  Your daughter as well.

Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:13 pm »
I feel the shot in the gut you had.

Got the call from my daughter earlier this year, 1 week after her 18th bd.  Pulled out from a stop sign in a Toyota Corolla, only to get smashed in the driver's side by a Ford Expedition.  Totalled the Toyota, but amazingly she and her friend were unhurt but for a scratch or two.  The Expedition was probably doing around 45 at impact.  Knocked all the left front suspension into the tranny, airbag deployed, etc.  Hit just in front of the driver's door.  A split second and a foot difference we probably would have received the call from someone other than my daughter. 

Liability on the car only as well.  Sold it to a junkyard.  I have nothing but good to say about how a Toyota can hold up in a crash.  So glad she wasn't badly hurt.  Your daughter as well.

Dang! That Toyota is worth its weight in gold..she got hit by a tank! Glad your life ( and hers) wasn't forever changed.
I would guess you and the wife hugged her for a very long time. I'm going to give my daughter a hug the next time I see her  ( now married with 2 young boys).

Several years ago, my good friend's 18 year old son was driving down a 4 lane highway in a Land Cruiser and was broad sided from the oncoming lane by a speeding teenager. The Land Cruiser was totalled and the boy's head went through the driver's side window. Other than some minor outward facial and scalp injury he appeared to be in good shape; in fact he went home after being evaluated and released at the scene by the EMTs. My friend is a family physician and felt comfortable taking him home and observing him. Unfortunately he developed symptoms of severe brain injury. He has become severely paranoid and somewhat violent ( 180 degree turn from what his personality was). He will not leave his basement bedroom and chain smokes and plays video games day after day, hour after hour. He has been on every anti- psychotic drug imaginable and has even had electroconvulsive therapy without any improvement.  Before the accident he was a gifted high school student passionate about directing and producing films and hoped to pursue this course as a career. His project films were highly entertaining. The girls loved him. But now he has lost about 30 pounds, hair shaved, a recluse. He is their only child and all of their dreams for grandchildren and future fond memories have been destroyed in an instant. This happened over 8 years ago.

For all of us who have been spared this type of misfortune we have much to be thankful for...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:07:45 pm by tjpgi »
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline okxd45

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Just seeing this, glad she's OK!!!

Me too! :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »
Ouch! Glad she's ok J.

You should have got her the slower black Volvo.   ;)

FWIW, been there, done that and I agree, it sucks. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:28 pm »
Got the report back from the shop, the Volvo is toast...  :(

LF STRUT
RF WHEEL
RF TIRE
RF LOWER CONTROL ARM ASSY
RF BRAKE SPLASH SHEILD
RF KNUCKLE W/ABS
HUB
BEARING
INNER SEAL
OUTER SEAL
RF STRUT
RF AXLE ASSY
RF SWAY BAR LINK
RF INNER TIE ROD
RF OUTER TIE ROD
FRT SUB FRAME
FRT EXAUST PIPE GASKET
RF FENDER
RF SIGNAL

= $6500

:banghead:

Total loss and all out of pocket...  :'(

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »
You could sell a set of Ohlin's and one or two Stitch suits to cover it.  :rotflmao:

I know, I know not a laughing matter, but I bet a set of Ohlin's would fix the Volvo.  :P

Ya, probably time for bed.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »
I'll write you a check for $6500 for that slow black connie and deliver it tonight if it will help your daughter 8)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »
One of my biggest fears, and the relief of knowing she was OK was also very intense I am sure. Good thing she was in one of the safest cars, those Volvo's are good cars for that. My son is all we have, and he means more to me than anything or anyone. One of life's lesson learned, and a learning experience for all.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • "One Slip" Momentary Lapse of Reason --Pink Floyd
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »

I've heard people say a door is a jar, you're the first to say a Volvo is toast. Man, that's a big toaster!

You can buy another Volvo, can't buy another daughter. Well I guess you can, but it'd probably look different.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »
 :grouphug: :chugbeer:

I love you guys, you're all the best, thanks for the support and keeping me smiling through this!  :) :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:06 pm »
:grouphug: :chugbeer:

I love you guys, you're all the best, thanks for the support and keeping me smiling through this!  :) :chugbeer:

Give her the Beemer, I have a 74 Pinto out back, put a heater in her and a tarp over the window areas for a few days and she'll nice and dry for you to use 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:46 pm »
Give her the Beemer, I have a 74 Pinto out back, put a heater in her and a tarp over the window areas for a few days and she'll nice and dry for you to use 8)

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Ya, I'm debating many options right now Chet, I'm leaning towards just buying mama a new car and then having her car be the new ride for our daughter, mama is coming due for something new...  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:04 am »

LF STRUT
RF WHEEL
RF TIRE
RF LOWER CONTROL ARM ASSY
RF BRAKE SPLASH SHEILD
RF KNUCKLE W/ABS
HUB
BEARING
INNER SEAL
OUTER SEAL
RF STRUT
RF AXLE ASSY
RF SWAY BAR LINK
RF INNER TIE ROD
RF OUTER TIE ROD
FRT SUB FRAME
FRT EXAUST PIPE GASKET
RF FENDER
RF SIGNAL

= $6500

:banghead:

Total loss and all out of pocket...  :'(

That list and total price looks like full dealer pricing for parts and labor.  Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different shop?  Honestly, that looks like a list one would submit for a insurance claim.

So how attached is she to that car anyway? 
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 04:43:38 am »

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Ya, I'm debating many options right now Chet, I'm leaning towards just buying mama a new car and then having her car be the new ride for our daughter, mama is coming due for something new...  :-\

Get your daughter a nice safe pick-up J. I hear that this one is for sale, it may take a bit longer to dry out than Chet's Pinto though...

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:01 am »
Get your daughter a nice safe pick-up J. I hear that this one is for sale, it may take a bit longer to dry out than Chet's Pinto though...

:rotflmao:

That list and total price looks like full dealer pricing for parts and labor.  Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different shop?  Honestly, that looks like a list one would submit for a insurance claim.

So how attached is she to that car anyway?

Yep, the $6500 is for new parts Rob, they said if I wanted to go used parts it would probably be about half that, but even at $3k to fix it's just not worth it to me, I'm gonna move on... bettter to put a grand in my pocket and move on IMO then take $3k out of my pocket to fix it...

If you want to buy it as it is Rob give me a call, but do it soon because I'm gonna be making some calls today to try and unload it fast... The title is clean and clear because no insurance is involved. You up for a project? I know you have the space.  ;)