Author Topic: I will not run away  (Read 14569 times)

Offline jim_de_hunter

Re: I will not run away
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 03:32:12 am »
I have a CCW and I am a teacher.  However, by law I am not allowed to carry in my work place.  So, because "I will not run away", I will be forced to use broom sticks and chalk dust to fight a shooter that comes to my school.  So be it.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 03:50:26 am »
Train the teachers (the stable ones) and arm them so the can open carry.
For those who carry and are properly trained, you carry not to protect just yourself, but to protect others.  Run towards the evil.

You don't want the trained teachers carrying openly.  You need for them to have the element of surprise against any would be attacker.  For a would be attacker that might know the school (or whatever the target may be), you would not want him or her to know who is carrying and to look for.  Eventhough as crazy as these people that carry out these acts are, in my mind they have one goal and are not real organized.  They set out to accomplish what they may think is right and that is it.  So having that element of surprise of having concealed carrying faculty is much better than open carry or even a uniformed security or resource officer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:20:17 am »
Before Madelin Murray Ohare and one LIBERAL judge took prayer out of school, this kind of thing did not happen.
Just think, one armed person could have stopped.

Could you delve a bit deeper into that one?  Not sure I understand how that has got anything to do with what happened in Sandy Hook.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 06:36:53 am »
Liberalism! Liberals have taken discipline away from parents. They talk about separation of church and state. There is no such thing in the Constitution.
No religion, and no discipline, and you see what happens. I am not religious, don't go to church, but I was brought up to respect my elders and to do the right thing. Taking prayer out of schools was just the start. Liberal judges have Taken away parents right to discipline their kids. Children should not be beaten, but a good spanking never hurt anyone, and a little prayer at school never hurt anyone.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 10:15:27 am »
Liberalism! Liberals have taken discipline away from parents. They talk about separation of church and state. There is no such thing in the Constitution.
No religion, and no discipline, and you see what happens. I am not religious, don't go to church, but I was brought up to respect my elders and to do the right thing. Taking prayer out of schools was just the start. Liberal judges have Taken away parents right to discipline their kids. Children should not be beaten, but a good spanking never hurt anyone, and a little prayer at school never hurt anyone.

I go to Church every sunday and I am involved in teaching the gospel to kids 7 - 8 years old at my Church. Yet, I do not think that has any corelation to psychos shooting at schools.
In regards to prayer, would you object if one day a student want to say a muslim prayer? Another day a buddhist prayer? As far as spaking goes, I did get spanked by teachers and parents alike, but I bore the burnt of some abusive teachers as well. I once got spanked with a cane (broke my skin) just because I did not draw a line straight enough - and this was a Catholic school. I see everyday how some parents treat their kids - no regards whatsoever - some put their kids in medication so they are zoned out. I am not disagreeing that prayer and discipline is good, but that is somethign that starts at home - not just rely on schools.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 11:09:37 am »
I have a CCW and I am a teacher.  However, by law I am not allowed to carry in my work place.  So, because "I will not run away", I will be forced to use broom sticks and chalk dust to fight a shooter that comes to my school.  So be it.

Jim, you have more to offer on this than any of the rest of us, as you're in the classroom daily (I assume). I'd really like to hear any other thoughts you have on this, what you've had to come to grips with internally knowing you are "the front line" etc... and TIA -  - steve

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:41 am »
I think spending time with your kids will save a thousand spankings.  Providing a positive role model lets them know what the correct way to act is versus the 'ape' mentality they might learn from the masses (I notice kids aspire to the lowest common denominator).
Sitting around the table for half an hour after a family meal, which we try for daily, lets kids discuss their days and provides a time for parents to provide guidance and reassurance.  Feedback about ways they handled situations and problems helps them figure out the socially acceptable ways they should act in difficult situations.
I'm very proud of how my kids are turning out and also how my son is already showing sheepdog qualities.
We also make the effort not to be helicopter parents...let them learn for themselves and be sure to help them up after a fall.  I think it leads to strong and confident adults... the kind that tend to become sheepdogs.

Can't wait to hear what your President will come up with this week.  The discussion this past weekend from the flock was all about controlling the firearms that the sheepdogs will use to protect them.  I must be fairly dense cause I can't even fathom how this line of thought comes about.
My son likens it to the war on drugs.  Dope has been illegal for a century and it would apparently take ten minutes to get some.
It's mostly the flock that consumes dope, maybe they could understand this line of argument.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Cuda

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
I was never HIT at home,  I was the youngest of four , my older sisters who were twins would beg my father to hit me ( I guess they got hit) I don't see why anyone NEEDS to hit anyone.
  During 12 years of Catholic school I only had one teacher , a Nun from France that beat your hands with  a steel ruler.
 When I was 18 (and in college) I got a job at a rock and roll night club , live music six nights a week 10cent beer nights twice a week and everything that goes with drunk people.
When I was hired  to check ID & bounce they were looking for someone in their 40's with a cool head because they owned two of these clubs and had several lawsuits because they hired large body builders who enjoyed   hitting others.
I played sports and lifted weights but never started fights, I soon became assistant manager and yes I hired a large powerlifter/body builder 4 th degree black belt martial arts ( to protect me) , and we never had to hit anyone , we talked people down.
I'm a Democrat ,  own  four pistols  one rifle and one shotgun ( no assault rifles)
and no one is taking them away.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:59 pm »
I find it funnny the people who say arming teachers will make the problem worse are the same who advocate putting an aemed cop in the school....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 03:40:52 pm »
I think spending time with your kids will save a thousand spankings.  Providing a positive role model lets them know what the correct way to act is versus the 'ape' mentality they might learn from the masses (I notice kids aspire to the lowest common denominator).
Sitting around the table for half an hour after a family meal, which we try for daily, lets kids discuss their days and provides a time for parents to provide guidance and reassurance.  Feedback about ways they handled situations and problems helps them figure out the socially acceptable ways they should act in difficult situations.
I'm very proud of how my kids are turning out and also how my son is already showing sheepdog qualities.
We also make the effort not to be helicopter parents...let them learn for themselves and be sure to help them up after a fall.  I think it leads to strong and confident adults... the kind that tend to become sheepdogs.

+1 We have done the same thing with our three children. Our 21 year old son is now a certified police officer who approuches his job with a true servant/protector attitude. His captain has told us that our son is one of the most level headed officers he has and he wishes more were like him. Yea, I'm a proud dad.
My 18 year old daughter is in collage to be a band teacher. She loves seeing the joy music brings to kids learning an instrument. Yep, proud of her too.
Our youngest is 14 and she hasn't decided what she wants to do. Probably a teacher if I had to guess.
For the last ten years my second job has been a youth leader/youth pastor. I have seen so many examples of absentee parenting and what it does to the children. I can tell you from experience that being involved in your kids lives and being the parent first and not the best friend always makes a  better home life and outcome for the kids. JMHO.

And yes, I taught all my kids to shoot. The older two love to shoot. The younger one has no use for it. Thats fine, but she knows how to handle a firearm and make it safe.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »
I find it funnny the people who say arming teachers will make the problem worse are the same who advocate putting an aemed cop in the school....

They have the mistaken believe that police are trained with some amazing frequency.  Most officers fire their weapon only when they need to re-qualify.  Sometimes that's not even every year.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline booger

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »
(a fair share owned by me :D). 

Snibbor, I don't think you understand.  I own a lot of guns.  Probably what some libs would call an arsena.  But I'm still not even close to my fair share.  Wife thinks differently.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
  Jim, you have more to offer on this than any of the rest of us, as you're in the classroom daily (I assume). I'd really like to hear any other thoughts you have on this, what you've had to come to grips with internally knowing you are "the front line" etc... and TIA -  - steve

Well, it's pretty simple really.  If there is someone harming the kids I will continue to attack the harmer until one of us is neutralized.  (From what I've read about Sandy Hook, it's the action the Principal took until she was shot.)  Our wonderful lawmakers will have me, literally, going to a gun fight with a broom stick. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »
Snibbor, I don't think you understand.  I own a lot of guns.  Probably what some libs would call an arsena.  But I'm still not even close to my fair share.  Wife thinks differently.

oh don't misunderstand me, guns are like money, there's no such thing having too many
already planning my next purchase, while we still can.........

Offline ARS

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
You don't want the trained teachers carrying openly.  You need for them to have the element of surprise against any would be attacker.  For a would be attacker that might know the school (or whatever the target may be), you would not want him or her to know who is carrying and to look for.  Eventhough as crazy as these people that carry out these acts are, in my mind they have one goal and are not real organized.  They set out to accomplish what they may think is right and that is it.  So having that element of surprise of having concealed carrying faculty is much better than open carry or even a uniformed security or resource officer.

I don’t agree.  I believe the deterrent of visible weapon is much more important than the “surprise”.  Prevention rather than reaction.
30 plus years ago in a small town in northern Wisconsin my buddies and I were allowed carry our 22’s & shotguns into the school and store them in our lockers (cased an unloaded of course) so we could hit the neighboring woods after school and chase rabbits, squirrels, and grouse.  Some of them brought them on the school bus and refinished their stocks in shop class.  There was never an incident, never a shot fired. . .ever!  We were raised in an era where we learned how to safely handle guns at a young age and we learned through experience all too well the damage these tools could do.
You can’t carry a nail clipper into a school these days.  What has changed since then?   I don’t have the answer, but I can say for certain we did respect our teachers, parents and all other adults.  For every pound of respect there’s an ounce of fear.  My Father never laid a hand on me, he didn’t have to. . .he was a man, I was a boy and I knew it.  Too many Dads want to be their kids’ buddies these days which is a big difference than being their Fathers.  So I say Man Up and get your kids out in the woods because as the bumper sticker said, “Little boys that hunt fish and camp don’t grow up to rob old ladies”.
Great posts everyone and hey we’re all not going to agree on a solution(s) guns/no guns, spanking/no spanking etc. but it’s encouraging to see we’re not jaded to the violence and have the need to speak up if for no other reason to try make sense out of something the is incomprehensible and to heal our own sorrows cause by this horrible act.