Author Topic: Thoughts on Internet Explorer 9 upgrade ??  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Thoughts on Internet Explorer 9 upgrade ??
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
I keep getting warnings from Google that my browser needs to be updated, the version I am using is no longer supported by Google.  I have been having some issues with Google tool bars, Google searches and my email.  Also, the Windows update page tells me I have an optional update due, which is to Explorer Nine (currently using Explorer Eight).  I know that there are better browsers available, and I will probably go with Firefox some day, but for now it is likely more expeditious to just upgrade the Microsoft crap. 

Is there any downside to Explorer 9 or other pitfalls I should worry about?

I don't know squat about 'puters and all I use my laptop for is motorcycle forums and p*rn.  ;D
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Thoughts on Internet Explorer 9 upgrade ??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
No idea. I use Firefox. I just upgraded to Windows 7 at work and at the same time upgraded to IE9, mainly because some of the things at work require IE instead of Firefox.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
Google Chrome!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:19:07 AM »
IE hasn't been my primary browser for years.  Except, of course, for government websites that run only in IE.   There are too many better browsers out there.  I used Firefox for a long time but it wouldn't run Adobe Plug-Ins and Firefox would take forever to figure out that it couldn't run them.  I went to Google Chrome about a year ago.  Now, I'm thinking about a Nexus because I like their stuff.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline ugocon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »
All browsers now are almost equivalent: I couldn't say what's better.
Now I'm on Chrome that was very fast the first days I used it, but once you start with plug-ins, favorites, cache and so on gets slower (when loaded the first time in a session) like the others.
The advantage of Chrome is that you type your search in the address bar without calling Google, but I don't like much the Ctrl-F fucntion to find a word in the page: I find it less friendly than Firefox.
Talking about safety, once both Firefox and Google were immune because they had a small market share.
Now the're comparable to IE so hackers are putting efforts in attacking them too.

IE 9 is now a state of the art browser with the advantage of being continuosly updated in terms of solving safety issues by simply using Windows update.

You need to have a genuine Windows , though ;)

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
All browsers now are almost equivalent: I couldn't say what's better.
Now I'm on Chrome that was very fast the first days I used it, but once you start with plug-ins, favorites, cache and so on gets slower (when loaded the first time in a session) like the others.
The advantage of Chrome is that you type your search in the address bar without calling Google, but I don't like much the Ctrl-F fucntion to find a word in the page: I find it less friendly than Firefox.
Talking about safety, once both Firefox and Google were immune because they had a small market share.
Now the're comparable to IE so hackers are putting efforts in attacking them too.

IE 9 is now a state of the art browser with the advantage of being continuosly updated in terms of solving safety issues by simply using Windows update.

You need to have a genuine Windows , though ;)

I use IE9 and it works great. You can search from the address line using IE9 as well.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ugocon

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »
I use IE9 and it works great. You can search from the address line using IE9 as well.
Yes, but it uses Bing as search engine. ;)
I think you can modify that but this goes a little beyond a standard user...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
I'm using IE10 and it seems to work ok.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
Yes, but it uses Bing as search engine. ;)
I think you can modify that but this goes a little beyond a standard user...

It's a simple matter to change your default search engine, Google for me.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  I did the IE 9 upgrade last night and it took me a long time to get it configured and I kind of don't like it.  It seems to load pages faster, but I can't get the Google homepage stuff to do what I want it to do now.  The Google command buttons won't go away, the command line keeps resetting itself, and it keeps resetting itself to give me the autofill in the address line which I hate, and some other things.  I've been through all the instructions and options settings.  I think I'll try the Chrome and see how that goes.  The computer is a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7, dual crap and quad stuff and I-don't-know-what-all.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

devilboy

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
IE9 is a fantastic browser. However your Google Toolbars I would recommend removing. Tool bars just cause problems and slow things down.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ugocon

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:36 AM »
IE9 is a fantastic browser. However your Google Toolbars I would recommend removing. Tool bars just cause problems and slow things down.
I agree. Always pay attention when installing new programs that they don't add any kind of toolbar (google, vuze, norton, etc.).
NEVER do an express install but always choose the elements that need to be installed ! ;)