Author Topic: Trailering a Concours 14  (Read 12147 times)

Offline thundermax

Trailering a Concours 14
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Read do not tight strap handlebars down but instead through triple tree. Can someone write about how to secure front end through triple tree without hurting plastic?
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline Tarheelbob

Re: Trailering a Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
I used a couple of web extensions looped around the lower triple tree. This lowered the attachment point for my ratchet hooks so that they cleared the fairing. Just don't set your anchor point in the trailer too wide apart. The bike trailers well with this set-up as long as the front wheel is secured.

Google Steadymate Soft Loops to get the idea.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
I used a couple of web extensions looped around the lower triple tree. This lowered the attachment point for my ratchet hooks so that they cleared the fairing. Just don't set your anchor point in the trailer too wide apart. The bike trailers well with this set-up as long as the front wheel is secured.

Google Steadymate Soft Loops to get the idea.

+1  They sell straps at any bike shop.  I replied in the other thread also wit this:

If you keep the angle less than 45 degrees then the straps should be clear of the plastic.   You are only using the lower tree.  I would suggest using a Baxley chock and securing it to your base if possible.   http://www.discountramps.com/baxley-la-chock.htm?CAWELAID=548032828&catargetid=1389811204&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CO7Mi5C_yLQCFQ_hQgodJ3IAMA

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
+1 on the Baxley chocks.

These chocks cost a few bucks but they make the whole process WAY easier and safer:
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/

Offline crawfcj

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
I use a Wheeldock, which does not require tie downs on the front end of the moto.  I ride the bike onto the trailer and into the Wheeldock, press the foot lever, and step off the moto.  One person operation.  Then I tie down the rear and it's ready to travel.

http://www.wheeldock.com/default_wheeldock.shtml
Charlie

2011 Concours 14, 2012 BMW R1200RT, 2004 BMW R1150RS

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
I use the Baxley Sport Chock which I can't say enough about.  Then I use straps around the triple like stated above.  For anchor points I have a small E-Track base on ea side of the chock and use quick release O rings.  It's a real nice setup and allows me to go from bike hauler to anything hauler in no time with my 5x10 utility trailer.

2009 C-14 ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I use the Baxley Sport Chock which I can't say enough about.  Then I use straps around the triple like stated above.  For anchor points I have a small E-Track base on ea side of the chock and use quick release O rings.  It's a real nice setup and allows me to go from bike hauler to anything hauler in no time with my 5x10 utility trailer.

exactly what I use.   I would highly encourage tie down straps regardless of the bike being in a chock or not.  Definitely good insurance. 

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Here is a successful set up for trailering the C14. Using tie down extensions over the lower triple tree you can compress the front forks with no fairing damage. Slip the extensions around the fork tubes from the top then pull though from underneath. Attach tie down forward of the front wheel for added stability. The Canyon Dancer bar harness is used without the need to add too much downward pressure to the handlebars. Removing the saddlebags and attaching a third set of tie downs to the rear brace allows for a snug and supportive attachment. I use Powertye tie downs because of the added security of their safety latch hooks. See attached pictures.
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »

That looks just like the trailer I use for my lawn mower....a little nicer wheels than the Mustang II's I have on mine. May need to use some of the good info in this thread to make her up like that for the rare occassion I have to trailer.

I have used this pdf for years. Just like a check list at the end of the runway I go through it step by step each time I hitch up . http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
It is just an opinion but when I use rear ties I either use them to pull straight down or pull toward the front.  If the rear is pulling in an opposite direction from the front, the forces are fighting each other.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
freebird, you in the grassroots neighborhood?

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
It is just an opinion but when I use rear ties I either use them to pull straight down or pull toward the front.  If the rear is pulling in an opposite direction from the front, the forces are fighting each other.

Why does this bother you? It's the most stable configuration to oppose the directions of the tie downs, as it counteracts the desire for the front ties to pull the bike forward (and vice versa). Look at any flatbed towtruck, they oppose the tiedowns as much as they are able to.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
I oppose trailering my Connie  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
freebird, you in the grassroots neighborhood?

Not since the Sweet 16  last March....but Connie was there with me....
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »

If you have the rear straps straight up or pulled toward the front, what will happen if you rearend or hit a solid object with the tow vehicle at speed? I'd suspect that the bike will want to come out the front of the trailer. Hence is why IMHO the straps should be pulling in different directions.

This is just my opinion as it's your bike, so strap it however you see fit.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »

Actually the forces aren't fighting each other, they are balanced and what you are trying to do in this situation is pull the bike DOWN onto the trailer, so that they move as one. The best way to do this is to have the tiedowns 90 degrees apart as seen from above. Of course the plastic makes this impossible, so you just have them as wide apart as is reasonable.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:51 AM »
Canyon Dancers for me, then a single tie strap pulling front wheel to trailer frame, then two tie straps on either side of grab rail pulling down, it aint going nowhere......
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue