Author Topic: Please tell me about Colorado  (Read 10875 times)

Offline TJ

Re: Please tell me about Colorado
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
After living in Alaska for 35 years guess I'll just have to get used to paying sales tax and state income tax. Not sure why you commented on TN since the thread was about CO, but the one thing I found out when researching new locations to move to is no matter what the "man" will get its share in one form or another. It might be sales tax, state income tax, or personal income tax. Failing that the property taxes can be high or utilities or insurance. Live in a lower income state then not only are the wages lower but so is the locality pay the goverment pays it's federal employees.

Anyhow, Up here I leave home and can head one of three ways. And believe me it gets really old seeing the same roads all the time, no matter how beautiful the scenery. For the last two years even our summers have sucked with a lot of rain and temperatures in the low 60's. Time for a change. Looking forward to becoming a Bronco fan but the Steelers are still my all time team:)
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
After living in Alaska for 35 years guess I'll just have to get used to paying sales tax and state income tax. Not sure why you commented on TN since the thread was about CO, but the one thing I found out when researching new locations to move to is no matter what the "man" will get its share in one form or another. It might be sales tax, state income tax, or personal income tax. Failing that the property taxes can be high or utilities or insurance. Live in a lower income state then not only are the wages lower but so is the locality pay the goverment pays it's federal employees.

Anyhow, Up here I leave home and can head one of three ways. And believe me it gets really old seeing the same roads all the time, no matter how beautiful the scenery. For the last two years even our summers have sucked with a lot of rain and temperatures in the low 60's. Time for a change. Looking forward to becoming a Bronco fan but the Steelers are still my all time team:)

I brought up TN to brag.  Why else?  Since I have never lived in a high cost state, FL, TX, AL, and now TN I just can't fathom what people pay in other states for housing, fees, taxes, etc.  I was expressing my shock by revealing the fees in my area.  My 5 acre farm probably cost what a condo will cost in CO. 

BTW: the Redstone Arsenal Area pays a very high wage to cost of living ratio.  Many Army retirees settle in this area.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 04:23:43 pm »
How is the ATV riding in Colorado? Just bought a couple of new Brute Force 750's last fall. We like to hunt and fish and can use the RV to haul everything.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 05:29:38 pm »
When are you moving there TJ?

Offline TJ

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 06:03:37 pm »
Wife needs to be there about mid March. If our house sells early I will go with her otherwise I move when the house sells.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:22 pm »
Wife needs to be there about mid March. If our house sells early I will go with her otherwise I move when the house sells.

Colorado is much closer to Idaho than Alaska, does this mean you're gonna meet me and Gumby at the rally in August?  :-\

Offline TJ

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:32:08 pm »
Sounds like it could be a good plan but much depends on the selling of our home and the buying of the new one as well as getting all my toys from Alaska to CO. If I get delayed moving out might ride the Connie down the Alcan one last time.
Not sure when I can get online again as we are heading to Costa Rica tomorrow to chase some sun and fish for billfish:)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15:20 am »
Tons of places to use the ATV's to go hunting and fishing... BLM land. 

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Leo

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:40 pm »
Copper Mountain, Colorado in June 2008.  Part of my trip to Pike's Peak.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline stewart

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »
Can't comment on the riding, the roads etc....but if you don't already...I'd learn to ski and enjoy winter for what it is. I've been lucky enough to ski three times in CO and would do it again in a heart beat.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:49 pm »
Wow I just found this thread. Welcome to Colorado! I live just north of Colorado Springs. Weather permitting the riding in the mountains is FANTASTIC!!! Here's a few pics to whet your appetite (but your probably used to this kind of scenery in Alaska):

If you like a little adventure biking.

Offline TJ

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:00 am »
Took a whooping 7 days to sell our house once it was listed. Looks like I'll be down there about the end of April but it will take at least this summer to get settled in as we need to buy a house and I need to fly back to Alaska and drive the RV and at least one of our trucks down to Colorado. Play time will be limited this year but we are looking forward to becoming Bronco fans, although the Steelers will always remain #1 to us. ;D

Might pick up a new KLR or Triumph 800 once we settle in.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:36:42 am »
Plenty of good roads around. Grab yourself a Butler Map. They have lots of good info and the roads are mostly color coded to the level of fun you can have on them.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:55 am »
Took a whooping 7 days to sell our house once it was listed. Looks like I'll be down there about the end of April but it will take at least this summer to get settled in as we need to buy a house and I need to fly back to Alaska and drive the RV and at least one of our trucks down to Colorado. Play time will be limited this year but we are looking forward to becoming Bronco fans, although the Steelers will always remain #1 to us. ;D

Might pick up a new KLR or Triumph 800 once we settle in.

Wow! 7 days in this market is quick! PM me when you get settled and lets go for a ride. Most Saturday early mornings I do breakfast rides with a couple of friends with FJR's. We do local mountain roads and generally get home by noon or so. Your welcome to join us, just PM me.

Offline TJ

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 05:39:55 pm »
Will do. Am hoping I can ride by May or June as my right ACL was just replaced last Thursday. I will seriously need a nice long WARM ride by then.