Author Topic: What do you guys think of this stupid assault weapons ban gibberish?  (Read 13186 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: What do you guys think of this stupid assault weapons ban gibberish?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:28 am »
A VERY interesting video that covers this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w0o7YgiTFm4

wow - don't miss this one. he really nailed it. Thanks for posting.  Steve

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »
In Canada we have misguided gun laws.  I say misguided because they are meant for the liberals to quote and feel safe, but as mentioned numerous times criminals don't adhere to laws.  Banning anything more than ten in a mag is silly, I could carry 10 mags and switch out without missing a beat. I have a rifle that was deemed 'prohibited' because it looks like an assault rifle, and it does look menacing,but that doesn't make it any more dangerous than a semi auto hunting 'shaped' rifle. (In Canada prohobited means I have to have it registered and when I tip over it has to be destroyed, I can't will it to my son)  They prohibited small concealable semi's (32's) to keep the gangers from carrying them but a small 45's are fine.  Many other laws were brought in to make the shooting sports jump through hoops but not actually make them illegal.  The laws are more of a make work project than anything... because they only affect the law abiding citizens.
I've always believed that concealed carry laws are the great equalizer in a society as it promotes cordiality amongst citizens.  You sure won't lip off or have road rage against someone that is on equal footing to you.  The weak and downtrodden have as much power in a disagreement when they could be packing.  You wouldn't worry about your mother living alone if she had some defense and the criminals knew it.  The liberals would argue that the whackjobs would be able to carry too, and yes they probably would, but they likely woudn't go around using it if they knew that everybody else is also packing.  It keeps the 'Ma'am and Sir' in day to day dealings.
I could go on and on about stupid attempts by governments to step on it's citizens by first removing guns from the populace.
Just my opinion of course.

Good luck to you my American friends.  You are the last bastion of 'freedom' on the planet. 
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »
If the general population underwent the same screening, training and qualification that the police do then I would be OK with them carrying, but not, as it appears in the US, when any jackass with a extra $200 can buy a gun and carry it in public just waiting for someone to **** him off.

I think that US gun laws are basically non-existent and many innocent people are dying that don't need to. Our gun laws aren't perfect, but everyone that wants to still gets to hunt and target shoot without taking pot shots at random citizens.

As an aside; why do you need assault rifles? Deer don't shoot back.

First off, not everyone who owns a gun is a jackass, and not everyone is allowed to carry, and MOST are not just waiting for some one to **** them off.  I don't mind ignorance, but dayum son!
I'd like to also inform you that there are currently over 2,000 gun laws on the books in the USA.  Hardly non-existent, and if the criminals break the laws to commit crimes, what good will another law do?
And...2nd amendment was never about hunting.  Again, I point out your ignorance.  Read our Constitution, find out why the second amanedment exists, and try to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.  You'd be surprised the power you have when you begin a debate with actual knowledge and facts on your side.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »
Good luck to you my American friends.  You are the last bastion of 'freedom' on the planet

Thanks for your comments but our rights are on a major down slide with no end in sight. Now you can get fined just for being born and not buying government defined health insurance and our Supreme Court, with a conservative Justice, made it all constitutional. No the last bastion of freedom died with the last century. We are all doomed to one world government dictated "regulation nations".
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:13 pm »
For the record, over 46 laws were broken in the sandy hook event if it actually went down as the authorities claim. I don't think any more would have made a bit of difference. 
I have carried much of my adult life. I have yet to get pissed off and shoot anyone. Actually only laid a hand on my gun once during an escalating situation but it calmed down without any serious problems.
I think we are very quickly headed towards revolution in this country.

I love my country but hate my effin government!
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline jonathan

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »
First off, not everyone who owns a gun is a jackass, and not everyone is allowed to carry, and MOST are not just waiting for some one to **** them off.  I don't mind ignorance, but dayum son!
I'd like to also inform you that there are currently over 2,000 gun laws on the books in the USA.  Hardly non-existent, and if the criminals break the laws to commit crimes, what good will another law do?
And...2nd amendment was never about hunting.  Again, I point out your ignorance.  Read our Constitution, find out why the second amanedment exists, and try to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.  You'd be surprised the power you have when you begin a debate with actual knowledge and facts on your side.

I did not mean to imply that everyone that owned a gun was a jackass and I am learning a lot from this discussion.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »
If you read the 2nd Amendment, and understand what it was meant to do, it was to insure that a Militia (common man) had the same power to protect themselves from government, both domestic and foreign.

At that time, a well armed Militia is what they had... rifles, pistols, swords, even cannon were the same between civilian and the Armed forces.  There weren't any differences.  Fast forward to today, and we have a huge difference between our civilian arms and what our military have access to. 

Now they are even taking it further...
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
The TRUTH of the mater is criminals and nuts who want to do mass killings don't care about ANY LAWS , most of the time they kill them selfs, so these LAWS only screw with honest law abiding people that would never do any thing anyway , so it drives me CRAZY when they say common sense won in NY .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 06:22:52 pm »
Some months ago I had a discussion with the wife of a good friend.  She just could not accept that some people have no respect for laws.  Her take is that if there is a law against something, then NO ONE will do it because people obey laws.  (Oh, yeah, then why do we have police?)   No amount of reasoning, statistics, argument or whatever would get her to accept the idea of "outlaws", people to whom laws mean nothing.  I asked her if she had ever exceeded the speed limit when driving and she said, "Well, sure, but that's different."  Yes different in degree, but still a disregard for the speed law.  She felt she was OK to do that, but I still couldn't convince her that there are people who feel the same way about laws against murder and assault.  I cannot understand her mindset.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline booger

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 07:08:22 pm »
Nope you got that wrong...POTUS wants us UNARMED.....train rides are next then a "shower"   

Serious....POTUS wants us unarmed...his long term goals are to extend the time a pres can hold office, disarm America, and become Kim Jong eel the 3rd , except to China this time

I totally agree with you Silvera.  I had always contended if Obama had not won this election, he wouldn't have stepped down.  This bastard wants to rule us, not be our POTUS

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
One thing I think is funny is the NRA made the argument that Obama is being a hypocrite since his kids have armed guards at their school but yet he doesn't think others should have that luxury. Then Obama and his henchmen scream that they should leave the kids out of it and not use them as political folly. Then we come to today where they had all those school kids with him when he made his pathetic little speech.  :nuts:

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:30 pm »
One thing I think is funny is the NRA made the argument that Obama is being a hypocrite since his kids have armed guards at their school but yet he doesn't think others should have that luxury. Then Obama and his henchmen scream that they should leave the kids out of it and not use them as political folly. Then we come to today where they had all those school kids with him when he made his pathetic little speech.  :nuts:

Politicians never miss an opportunity to exploit kids or other groups to their own advantage.  And you're right, "pathetic" is exactly what that was.  Just another double-speak, super-spin photo op.  It's OK for him and Rosie Fat-donell to have armed guards for their kids, but not you.  It's OK for him to exploit kids for his agenda, but not you.  Shame on their parents for letting/making them get involved in that.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 12:15:14 am »
...nut jobs and gang bangers, neither of them follow laws so what good does a law do?

Think about it, what laws would have stopped Newton CT?

Good point & good question.
Is Executive Vice President and CEO of the NRA, Wayne LaPierre, right? Do we need to have armed personnel at all of our schools?

If Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung had a weapon, could she have stopped Adam Lanza from slaughtering those 20 little kids and their teachers? If the Teachers were armed, could they have stopped him? Could armed guards have prevented Adam Lanza from even entering the school in the first place?

Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung (killed)

Sandy Hook Elementary School Kids & Teachers who were shot to death in December 2012

I agree that armed guards in every school is the most immediate response, but it is not the only response.

The Second Amendment, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.", needs to be understood and respected by ALL citizens--those who are armed, and those who are not--before we can have a meaningful discussion about how to deal with the shooting of innocents in our country.

Name-calling, baseless accusations, and delusions only sink us all deeper into the quagmire of inaction. The NRA has some good points, but it also is stirring the pot rather than addressing the concerns of a lot of people in our society. Same can be said of our leaders in DC. On TV, on radio, in newspapers, and on the Web, many are fanning the flames of hysteria.

Were is the honest discussion, the facts & figures, the proper definitions of weapons, respect for the killed, concern for the ill, and justice? Were is the justice for those five & six-year-old kids who were gunned down 10 days before Christmas? Were is the justice for those two firefighters who were responding to a house fire in Webster when they were shot to death on Christmas Eve 2012? Were is the justice for those 12 people shot dead at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado in July 2012?

I believe that justice for these folks will come from us when we decide how to stop the shooting of innocents in public places in The United States.
Can "The Greatest Country on Earth" do that much for itself?
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline stewart

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:38 am »
Thanks Jay and others for having a discussion.

My personal view would not be respected it seems on the forum, so I'll plead the 5th.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:56 am »
Some months ago I had a discussion with the wife of a good friend.  She just could not accept that some people have no respect for laws.  Her take is that if there is a law against something, then NO ONE will do it because people obey laws.  (Oh, yeah, then why do we have police?)   No amount of reasoning, statistics, argument or whatever would get her to accept the idea of "outlaws", people to whom laws mean nothing.  I asked her if she had ever exceeded the speed limit when driving and she said, "Well, sure, but that's different."  Yes different in degree, but still a disregard for the speed law.  She felt she was OK to do that, but I still couldn't convince her that there are people who feel the same way about laws against murder and assault.  I cannot understand her mindset.

We all know that all those scumbags in our prison system are innocent right?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn