Author Topic: Haven't seen "FI Error" light  (Read 8494 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Haven't seen "FI Error" light
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
I haven't seen the FI Error light in over 10,000 miles or so.  I'm getting really concerned, thats not normal.  I think it may be time to replace the battery in my FOB before something really bad happens?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Haven't seen "FI Error" light
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
I haven't seen the FI Error light in over 10,000 miles or so.  I'm getting really concerned, thats not normal.  I think it may be time to replace the battery in my FOB before something really bad happens?

I had the "error" several times in the first several months when the bike was new, then it tapered off.  I don't think I have seen it in almost a year now?  Perhaps I am overdue.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
hmmm perhaps I'm overly concerned.  I may install a fresh KiPass battery anyway
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »
hmmm perhaps I'm overly concerned.  I may install a fresh KiPass battery anyway
I install fresh FOB batteries every year whether I need them or not (same as my bike washing schedule ;))
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
I install fresh FOB batteries every year whether I need them or not (same as my bike washing schedule ;))

Yeah, for protection and maintaining the mad pow-ah of KiPass I need to do that too! 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
I install fresh FOB batteries every year whether I need them or not (same as my bike washing schedule ;) )

Sound advice, especially the washing part..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

devilboy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »
Ive seen F1 twice since  I bought the bike...  Is that normal???  or am I just being paranoid???

why are you all looking at me????/ 8)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
Ive seen F1 twice since  I bought the bike...  Is that normal???  or am I just being paranoid???

The FI light doesn't scare me, the fact my FOB battery may not be fresh and 100% TERRIFIES me

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Only twice so far?  (BTW- it is "FI" not "F1")
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

devilboy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Only twice so far?  (BTW- it is "FI" not "F1")
No wonder I am  paranoid   :)

Offline double a-ron

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
Thank you guys for saving me from removing my pciii, area-p, and all the other stuff I bolted on and going to the dealer looking for warranty service. Quirks. Gotta love 'em!

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
I started seeing it a few times at random after I installed the Guhl flash, V&H slipon, and high flow filter. Its been awhile since I've seen it.  But I must say, now I'm confused... Is seeing considered normal??
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
It's 'normal' on the 10+ bikes, although not frequent.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline double a-ron

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
I've only been with this bike since may, but I would guess it's like the ignition on my 7 year old gsxr 1000. The salesman that sold the gixxer to me said it was the best bike in the showroom. Fit and finish were far above the kawi, yam, and Honda. After 7 years and 40k miles I can safely say I agree. It's even better than the connie. Never parked in a garage and no rust. Never had an FI light, even with the air box, and exhaust off.

'Thing is, before I left the lot,  the salesman showed me how to jiggle and twist the key to get it into the run position.

That was a brand new bike. 4 miles on the clock. Turns out Suzi is known for poop ignitions.

I'm starting to think the japs build bikes like this on purpose. To give them character. To separate themselves from their boring German counterparts.

I mean seriously, a shitty ignition? Off the showroom floor?

An FI light that comes and goes as it pleases?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
Be one with the F1...

Offline clogan

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
The "FI" light is only there to make sure we are paying attention, LOL!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »

you're just jealous because the voice only talks to me  :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
It's only happened to me in extreme cold. Like last Sunday. went on a ride, and it was 27 degrees. The bike threw an FI, but kept on trucking. The only other times that has happened to me was when I rode 32 degree weather, and in a pouring rain.
The first time it freaked me out, and I came to teh forums...searched around, and found out it was most likley nothing. The bike has never cut out or hiccuped. I think it has something to do with the secondary flys not closing properly. I don't know enough about it but I have figured out when it'll happen to me.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
It's only happened to me in extreme cold. Like last Sunday. went on a ride, and it was 27 degrees. The bike threw an FI, but kept on trucking. The only other times that has happened to me was when I rode 32 degree weather, and in a pouring rain.

I haven't had an FI error in a long time now.  For me, it seemed to happen several times when the bike was new, and for no apparent reason and with no apparent pattern (that I could ascertain, anyway).  Just part of the gen 2 personality I guess... something to freak out new owners, then it just goes away :)

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
I saw it twice yesterday.  I ignored it per the manual.