Author Topic: Omni-Cruise ...... anyone?  (Read 26311 times)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
Omni-Cruise ...... anyone?
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Anyone have one of these or seen one? Seems to be an alternative to the Go Cruise. It is more expensive, but seems to be a better design on the same concept. The Go Cruise works, but mine begins to slip almost immediately after I engage it. Because this one can be tightened to fit your grip, it seems that it would solve that problem. 
http://www.omni-cruise.com/
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Omni Throttle Lock ...... anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
Anyone have one of these or seen one? Seems to be an alternative to the Go Cruise. It is more expensive, but seems to be a better design on the same concept. The Go Cruise works, but mine begins to slip almost immediately after I engage it. Because this one can be tightened to fit your grip, it seems that it would solve that problem. 
http://www.omni-cruise.com/

That looks interesting.  I just wish all these companies would stop using the word "cruise" as if it is cruise-control.  It is a throttle lock.  And then there is sometimes outright lying, like this quote from THEIR site:  "provide a fully adjustable completely universal cruise control on any bike"   From Wikipedia:  "Cruise control is a system that automatically controls the speed of a motor vehicle. The system takes over the throttle of the vehicle to maintain a steady speed as set by the driver."  It is a throttle lock.

In any case, it looks interesting.  The design that helps to turn it "off" when you pull the brake lever is pretty clever.   If you do get it, let us know if/how it works.  Wonder if it will work over grip-puppies and such...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Omni-Cruise ...... anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:29:16 AM »
regardless of what wiki says (hardly a reliable source of info) the site is indeed misleading. It is fairly generally accepted that a cruise control is a closed loop speed control device, while a throttle lock... well... locks the throttle.
Another sentence in that site, at the bottom, that reminds me to engrish.com: "Your right hand is your gateway to speed control and removing your hand completely decreases your response time in the event of any unforeseen event..." The response time is obviously increased, as in it takes longer.
And while I like the fact that it is made in the USA rathen than China or Taiwan, they advertise it as made in AMERICA, so it could be Cuba or Bolivia  ::) duh!!!
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:16 AM »
And while I like the fact that it is made in the USA rathen than China or Taiwan, they advertise it as made in AMERICA, so it could be Cuba or Bolivia  ::) duh!!!

It is fairly generally accepted that "America" means "United States of America".  :P
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:26 AM »
...everything else is the 'burbs'.

Offline booger

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
I'm on my second Go-Cruise.  Installed the rubber band the second time and it holds a little better.
I like the design of the Omni-Cruise and if the current Go-Cruise breaks, I might give one a try.

The only complaint I had on the Go-Cruise was paying approx $20 for a 50 cent piece of plastic.  It appears with the Omni-Cruise you get to pay $50 for $5.00 worth of aluminum. I wish I was smart enough to have designed either one. ;)

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
    • Omni-Cruise Universal Motorcycle Throttle Lock
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
It is fairly generally accepted that "America" means "United States of America".  :P

I make them Anaheim California more precisely...

Thank you guys for pointing out the errors on my site. They are definitely my fault since "my company" is a one man band (just me). That is from design, prototyping, the entire manufacturing process, accounting, graphics design, web design, order processing, accounts payable, and until last week I had a full time day job on top of it and do machine shop work for several companies on their rush jobs. My company parties suck but there is ALWAYS parking up front and never a line for the bathroom. I have the most understanding wife in the world. Or maybe she just doesn't like having me around... not sure which.

Oddly enough I ride a 97 ZG1000 every day (I call it my work truck) and it was the test platform for every one of the 12 working prototypes and countless variations of the Omni-Cruise. I used to ride, come home and change grips, ride, come home and change grips.... all day to test changes. The heavy vibration my big green beast puts out made it the perfect test bike to figure out how to overcome road vibration and bumps from decreasing grip/speed. That said I think I am going to update the site to let people know it is a single guy making these. I thought I would need investors and business loans and tried to make the site seem all official and professional like I was more than just a single guy laboring over an hour and a half on each Omni-Cruise in his garage. None of that ended up happening. I threw every dime I had into this and started doing runs of 100 parts because that was what I could afford and taking them to the swap meet in Long Beach. I borrowed the $1025 for a booth at Long Beach International Motorcycle Show and sold out. Just about every person who actually sees them in person is impressed and wants one if they have the need for one.  Then I thought I  was ahead and on January 26th Motorcyclist Magazines' MARCH issue got to people's hands. Their product tester Ari gave the Omni-Cruise 4.5 out of 5 stars and I have been slammed machining 14 or more hours every day since.

ANYWAYS - From one Connie owner to some others I'll throw you guys a discount so you can give it a try and post up some reviews. I have had a lot of orders from ADV rider and there are a lot of reviews over there too, but I would love to hear see some on here too!!!

CODE: ZGFIRST5 will give a 25% discount to the first five orders. If more people are interested I will get another code going for a continued discount of 12%

I already give free shipping (mainly because I couldn't figure out how to set it up when I set up the website - I know how now, but am too busy to go change all the printings, posts, and website)

I look forward to seeing some reviews on here from people who have actually used it. So far I only have about 600 of them out there but every review has been pretty darn good in my opinion!

-Brian Carmicheal
WOT Designs
714-three96-four564
info@omni-cruise.com
Brian Carmicheal
maker of the OMNI-CRUISE universal throttle lock
www.omni-cruise.com  info@omni-cruise.com
ZGGTR discount of 12% available by PM - Response is usually instantish.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Brian. Thanks for the discount. I assume orders go through your website?

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
You are very welcome. Yes ordering through the website is best as it makes it easier for me to print shipping labels and track orders. I should add some links and such to my signature.
Brian Carmicheal

Offline wrichstrom

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
To answer OCK's question, I have one and it works for me very well.
2012 C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
ANYWAYS - From one Connie owner to some others I'll throw you guys a discount[...]

I look forward to seeing some reviews on here from people who have actually used it. So far I only have about 600 of them out there but every review has been pretty darn good in my opinion!

I will take you up on that offer and just successfully purchased one with the discount.  Like I said in another post, it looks like an interesting design.  Seeing that you took the time to post on here and also with a discount, it is a no-brainer for me.

Being that it is winter, I don't ride much right now, so it might be a while before I can post a review... but I will do it.  I hope that sucker works with the Grip Puppies!!  Thanks

Offline pistole

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
My company parties suck but there is ALWAYS parking up front and never a line for the bathroom. I have the most understanding wife in the world. Or maybe she just doesn't like having me around... not sure which

- do you ship worldwide ? Am from Malaysia.

- oh , and don't mind the inmates here. Some of them get into knots when you talk about exhausts, mufflers and slip-ons.

thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
- oh , and don't mind the inmates here. Some of them get into knots when you talk about exhausts, mufflers and slip-ons.

:P

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 02:33:27 AM »
After my initial post, I ordered one using the ADV rider discount. It arrived promptly and well packaged. First impression is that it is a very well made and well designed product. After removing the Go-Cruise I pondered about using the supplied band or trying it without it. Since my complaint about the GC was that would immediately begin to slip when applied, I wanted to insure this would not do the same thing. I decided to try the band and had no trouble stretching it over my Grip Puppies but found that I was going to have to trim the GP back some in order to give the band more room. With this dilemma, I opted to remove the band and see how it performed without it.
First and foremost, I like it better than the GC and will be keeping it on the bike. I have not found the "sweet spot" yet in terms of adjusting the tensioning knob, but I am sure I will find it. Although the concept of how it functions is identical to the Go-Cruise, the thumb bar makes for a far more natural and easy way to engage the unit. Using the tensioning knob, I was able to adjust to a point that would prevent any sort of slippage, but it seemed too tight when trying to engage it or back off the throttle.  As I said, I am sure there is a micro of an adjustment to find that "sweet spot" to where it is comfortable to both engage and disengage and I will find it on the next ride. Using the supplied band may very well aid in that by providing a better surface for the OC to clench to on the grip. I will try that next, but like I said, I will have to trim my Grip Puppy back a little on that side. Although I don't have it perfectly adjusted yet, I am confident that I will get it there and I am happy with my purchase. I cannot stess enough that this is a very well manufactured piece. Now that I have learned that it is entirely a one man operation, I am even more impressed. The concept and design are fantastic and quality of the final product is superb. The GC is the same concept at a cheaper price, but this is certainly an improvement. Some have complained of breaking the GC due to its plastic construction and although that never happened to me, the product would begin to slip a soon as it was activated and this defeated the purpose of having it. The Omni Cruise improves on that by providing a better design, better materials, and a method for adjusting the unit in order to get a customized fit on your grip to insure functionality is not lost.     Kudos to WOT Designs
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
- do you ship worldwide ? Am from Malaysia.

thanks

You will be the first from Malaysia, but yes I ship anywhere! I only add $5  to ship anywhere other than US, MEXICO AND CANADA. Unfortunately though it does take the standard 4-6 weeks to get to some countries, but others get it in 2 weeks. I am considering using a different carrier for international, but they get pretty pricy and I've only had one complaint on shipping time out of about 40 international orders. Hell, if I gave 40 strangers a $20 bill at least one would complain I didn't give then a second one.  I will look at rates anyways though. I'm shipping my dad a copy of Motorcyclist Magazine to Afghanistan via Fed Ex so I'll see if that's any faster for comparison.

Brian Carmicheal

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »
Thank you sharing OCK! As for using the band it does provide a more uniform surface for the OC to rotate on and cushion for it to bite into to hold its position easier. Very "slick" or worn grips tend to be better off without the band, but grips with a lot of  tack/grip are much better off using the band to make it easier to rotate the OC when clamped down tightly.

There is a bit of a sweet spot, but its larger with the band in place.

I'm glad you are happy with your Omni... wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it on the bike  :)
Brian Carmicheal

Offline gpete

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
Took the plunge. I was considering go cruise, but had read about reviews about them breaking when trying to install. This looks like a much better design. Thanks for the discount. I think this should be much easier to use than the bar-end types.
2012 Arabian Red

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
I will have her on the way in the morning gpete. Looking forward to your review!

Still 2 more at the 25% off price fellers, and ladies.
Brian Carmicheal

Offline Locol

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »
Thanks for offering the discount. Just placed my order and a review will follow. Currently I have the Go-Cruise and it continues to slip. I have all but given up on it. The OC looks like it will solve the problem and be an economical solution.

Offline WOTdesigns

• maker of OMNI-CRUISE
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »
She'll be on her way first thing in the morning Locol. Today alone I got two phone calls from people who were frustrated with those other devices and actually took the time to go back on my site, find my number and call me to tell me how much they like the Omni Cruise. It's interesting how many people tell me they went to their local dealer they got those other devices from before to show them the Omni.  I get a big kick out of those calls/emails!

You are going to be very pleased!
Brian Carmicheal