Author Topic: Opinions needed...aftermarket seats  (Read 11301 times)

Offline connie1

• Arena
Opinions needed...aftermarket seats
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
Looking to upgrade the seating on my C14.
I've read a million posts and looked at manufacturer websites till my eyes (and brain) got blurry.
Since I'm not in a locale where I see any other connies let alone their seats I don't have any frame of reference to base any decisions on.
I'm about 6'1", 250 summer weight and 33" inseam( have no problems touching the ground).  I've added Murph's lowering pegs to get a little knee relief,and Murph's risers to get off my wrists, but this seat is not what I'd call a high miler.  Need something new.
I have to admit I've sort of got a thing for the looks of the Baldwin (gee he makes a great looking seat),  but I'm sure there are others that are just as good.  Money is a little tight so I can't try something and if it doesn't work flog it on here for a loss,  I'd like a high probability of it being right the first time.
That's where you, the experienced, come in.  I need all the positive and negative comments you can think of any seat you've had on your C14.
Please include your height and weight etc.
Thanks in advance for all your input!
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Opinions needed...aftermarket seats
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
I've had 3 seats on my Connie...

5'8"
Buck sixty

Kawi oem, too tall for me  :(

Sargent low, liked it but no backrest for mama  :-\

Corbin heated with backrest, love it and so does mama, also really like being able to have the smuggler trunk when solo  :) :thumbs:

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
I hear ya on the not wanting to roll the $$ dice on whether any given seat will work or not.
However, seat comfort is a pretty subjective thing.  Just because "most" people like x seat doesn't mean you will.  Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Offline JBnAZ

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
I like to Corbin as well. It has a level profile that allows for much better comfort, and it's a firm seat which I like. My wife also likes it because it helps prevent her from pitching forward and she loves the backrest.

Yes comfort is subjective but I have owned 16 bikes, 4 of them sport tourers and for this style of bike Corbin is a great choice.

I am 6' tall 239 all year round weight :).

Good luck.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
How is this thread going to be any different from the dozens of other ones asking the same question?  If you searched those, you are likely to get the same thing all over again here, depending on who responds.  Here are some excepts of mine:
-----------
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7695.msg92544#msg92544

I have the low modular Sargent seat, with heat and pod.  It is, indeed, very difficult to get it on or off, especially difficult to get on (latch).  Once it is one, however, it doesn't come off unless I want it to.  Thankfully, having to remove the seat is rare.  And with practice, it is not too insane.  The stock seat isn't all that easy either, actually.

It is a quality seat that also looks good and I do like it.  The Pod is especially convenient.  The seat is a bit hard, but that was expected with the "low" version.  And I *have* to have a low version. Overall, I am quite happy with it.
------------
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=402.msg5090#msg5090

IMHO the quality of both Sargent and Corbin are high- perhaps equal.  They also have similar and/or identical features.  You can tell from pictures what they "look" like and make that determination ahead of time.  You can pick certain features.  You can know the exact price.  But as for what they FEEL like compared to what you want- that is a user preference that is hard for anyone to define in any way that would be terribly helpful.  Even just sitting on one in a showroom somewhere is not the same as RIDING the bike with it.  And even RIDING the bike a few times with it is not the same as USING it for many times (and on different days, different temps, different weather, different distances, and in different clothing).  And even THEN, you still can't know what you MIGHT be missing with some other brand or model.
----------
5'7", 155lbs, typical clothing inseam is around 26.5 to 27".  Sargent heat option is excellent- variable adjustable and can burn you if you want it that hot.   Looks great, feels good.  The non-low version is probably a bit more comfortable, but will not be higher than stock seat if you are looking for something higher.  They might have custom options if you contact them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
^^^^^^^^^that.  and this ---->   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:01 PM »
Here is how I went. Price was right, and good quality. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10234.msg132154#msg132154
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
I have a Russell Day Long that would fit you perfectly.  Cost me over $700.  Yours for $500 Canadian, and I'll split the shipping with you.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
Opinions are like......  Oh never mind.   :D

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
My 2009 OEM seat took about 2000 miles of riding before it started feeling comfortable. It does pitch me and my wife forward. I recently purchased a used Corbin from a fellow forum member. It looks alot better than the OEM but it is much firmer and telegraphs every vibration to your bottom. I sort of like it but am waiting until the wife rides with me. If she does not like it, it will be up for sale. For solo riding ( 200-300 mile days) the OEM works for me.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
I always thought Corbin was the only answer, but after getting pissed about spending almost $1,000. the last time around, I thought I would give Seth Laam a try. Without a doubt, this is the best seat I have had and cost about $450. shipped both ways. The leather and materials he uses are great, and it doesn't need to be broken in like the rock hard Corbins. It gives you some room to move around and doesn't slam your junk on the tank when braking hard. Give Seth a call with your specs and questions, and he will not dissapoint.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
I've had OEM, OEM with spencer mod, Russell Day Long, Laam and now Corbin. Corbin is the keeper for me. I like the hard foam of the Corbin which molds to you and continues to support after 8+ hours in the saddle.

Offline curly

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »
I have the Corbin also. For me I think it is a little to firm (I'm 5'10" 165lbs) so I use an Airhawk on long rides. The biggest reason I went with the Corbin is the passenger section keeps the wife firmly planted in place. No more sliding into me when on the brakes.

The other reason is we rode to Bike week in Daytona last year and after 500 miles on the stocker we would have bought a seat from a roadside stand. However, Corbin was conveniently located right on U.S. 1 so that's were we went and rode off in relief. They shipped my stocker home for me.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »
I'd suggest you first decide on handle-bar changes (If any) before changing your seat. Many seats that are comfortable in the stock "sport" seating position become very uncomfortable if you change to a more upright seating position with risers or extended bars. Any change that makes you sit more upright exacerbate the problem with the stock seat. The forward slide becomes worse as you sit more upright and cannot counteract it with your arms..
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Total of 3 seats on my 2011 C14. My specs are 6'-1", 250
OEM - hated the forward slope, Russell Day Long - Very comfy but it made me feel like I was sitting on top of the bike, Corbin - heated front and passenger with large oval backrest.

Try to buy used. There have been 3 Corbins and 2 other seats on this site alone.  Good way to evaluate a seat with minimal investment and a good resale value if you don't like it.
I bought both the RDL and Corbin used and for almost half price. I did not want nor could I afford to spend full price on a custom seat only to find out it did not work for me, then I would have to sell it at a loss. I sold the RDL for the same purchase price. The heated Corbin is a keeper! It's firm, comfy and with sportier feel than the RDL. More importantly, my CFO likes the Corbin so now other farkles are easier to obtain.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
I had a seat done by Seth Laam last year and I really like it.  It's quality work and looks great.  I'm 5"11, 235 and it seems to fit me well.  He was very nice to work with and we talked quite a bit on what I wanted to "fix" about the seat.  It has a lifetime guarantee and there is also a comfort guarantee with no limit on the number of times it can be sent back for adjustment.  It's not cheap, but definitely less expensive than some of the other options and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price.

devilboy

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:55:20 AM »
One word  Corbin!  My Vision stock seat had to be the best stock seat ever  BUT when it came out  there were no options except Utopia  cutting a hole in seat and putting on a  Fugly  back rest. I watched for Corbin on ebay and Vic forums  and got a third hand heated Corbin with dual back rests for 1/2 of the retail.. it had 200 miles on it , it traveled further by UPS than it was ridden.
I put 70 K+ on it in 4 yrs and never regretted it for a second. I mink oiled it every six months or so to make the seams more waterproof. Leather breathes better and will last longer if properly cared for. It has NOT softened up in 4yrs or 70K.
I just bought a corbin from the forums and will make my first ride on it today about 250mi  Round trip.
I think it is a love it or hate it thing.  Good Luck with your choices...  5'11"  195  33 inch inseam fit and finish of seat is excellent as mentioned by others and you can put a smuggler on back when riding solo....

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with either of the Mayer's?
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Stretch

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
I have a Baldwin seat that Loren buitl for me.  Email him and send some pictures of your self sitting on your bike.  The seat came as promised and took about 50 miles to break-in.  I am 6'=4" and 250.  Loren made the seat a little bit wider and about 3/4" taller, making the bike a lot more comfortable for me. 

Offline dammit

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
I went to a local automotive upholstery shop and had them modify the OEM seat to what I specified, gel pads front and rear, lower in the front for my short legs, and they will put any color cover on that you want. I spent $350 for what I got.. allot less than the after market ones that are out there.