Author Topic: Do slip on cans really give more power?  (Read 20116 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Do slip on cans really give more power?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
You tell em, Maxdog! ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
To answer your original question: Do slip on cans really give more power?
I know your talking about C-14's and I'm bringing a C-10 into the discussion,,,, but it does partially answer your question.
So, here is my 2 cents (done on a 2003 C-10).

You want to do a run to compare bikes with different exhausts.
Your results will not be exact as the bikes are different.
To accomplish what you want to see, You have to do base lines on all the bikes in stock condition first and then add slip ons....

I bought a used dyno and did it all in 1 afternoon....

I did 3 series of dyno runs on my C-10.
Same day, same bike, same dyno.
I can post a copy of the results.

Run 1 was with stock muffler.
Run 2 was with Cobra F1s.
Run 3 was stock mufflers with baffelectomy.

Will not quote the numbers right now as it would be from memory.
But I will tell you the basic results.
Improvement was not huge, BUT,,,
The Cobras did improve the power curve. (The typical Connie Dip in Mid range was better).
   Increased Torque/HP primarily in Mid range and added a bit more on top end.

I was all smiles, then I did a run on the Stockers that had a baffelectomy.
Results were nearly the same as the Cobra's.

Bottom line "seems to be" that decreasing the back pressure (be either method) is what caused the change...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
To answer your original question: Do slip on cans really give more power?
I know your talking about C-14's and I'm bringing a C-10 into the discussion

C-10 is ancient tech compared to the C-14.  It doesn't even have cats.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
C-10 is ancient tech compared to the C-14.  It doesn't even have cats.

What's a C10?  ??? :-\ ;) ;D

Offline Cuda

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
Yeah Max My Supercharged car and my Diesel pickup have 20in rims , My truck has a  5 in  pipe    turbo to tail pipe ,   I'll be dead in 20 years or less and I want to enjoy those 20 ;) and I'm never growing up,  I still race drag boats, and I'm not afraid of death, there is NO HEAVEN or HELL( superstition) I've had twelve years of RC education the only thing it gave me was a quilt complex ( conscience)  . For less than $400. I have used ZX14 headers used two brother duals that give me a good bit of power over 6,000 RPM the reflash gave me the low end grunt, little to easy to bring the front tire up with the changes.  I love the sound of the motor up shifting  and down ... LOVE jj

Thank God we are all different ( no  cats have three dogs, give my love to PUSSY )
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:28:26 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
no  cats have three dogs, give my love to PUSSY

That helps explain the fire crotch avatar pic Cuda.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »

You know, I ALMOST said something....  I can't stand looking at that thing!  I wish he would change it!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »

Love that avatar!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Cuda

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »
Pokey that's because you like to blow smoke up womens A$$ ;D

It is a REAL hot air Ball-oon folks
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
Short of a full system installation the gains being reported will be the tune, not the can.  But at least the visual is much better.
Forget not that the Cats will still be in place with a can only.  The only way to validate gain will be when Jim and Pokey do the flow/volume test.
I think Bob (BDF) should supervise the test, similar to his fob soaking test.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:07 AM »
If I was concerned about the weight of my bike, I would lose 40 lbs of my gut and get a lot better performance. :D

Better performace outta you AND the bike.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »
Forget not that the Cats will still be in place with a can only.  The only way to validate gain will be when Jim and Pokey do the flow/volume test.
I think Bob  (BDF) should supervise the test, similar to his fob soaking test.

Fify again...sorry, I can be thick at times. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:21:31 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Fify
Shhhhhhhh-Bob is bait to get Brian to join in the discussion as he was a major contributor to the first flow test... :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »

What's a C10?  ??? :-\ ;) ;D

Its the bike that COG was founded on and the reason you now have C-14's. Its folks like Steve in Florida, myself, Ted, and many others that have experimented and made significant contributions to improving the original Connie.
Sorry but I had to defend my little buddy "connie rider".     
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Its the bike that COG was founded on and the reason you now have C-14's. Its folks like Steve in Florida, myself, Ted, and many others that have experimented and made significant contributions to improving the original Connie.
Sorry but I had to defend my little buddy "connie rider".   

All good JS, it was a joke...  :chugbeer:

(my comment, not the C10.  ;D :stirpot: )

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:53:55 PM by ZG »

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
No problem ZG, I'm cool.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

motocopter

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
Aaa ahh....

Gotta mention this. Back in December, I got my hands on a cf slip-on from ebay.  :-\ I really wasn't after any mods of sort, and I like my bike exhausts OEM quiet. The one I found had a price that couldn't be beat - so what the heck.  8)

I put it on, started the beast, and confirmed that the sound is quiet. Then, I went riding that weekend. My intention was to put the potato launcher back on the bike afterwards and save the slip-on. However, some favorable results were noticed while riding with the slip-on. Power? Didn't notice anything along those lines. I did notice that blipping the throttle for down-shifts that the engine rev'd better. The next best observation was the overall vibration was down - I mean seat, pegs, bars. Everywhere I made contact with the bike. Lastly, when I let go of the bars, the bike now tracks straight as an arrow in flight. The tracking has been check several times now, and I can rule-out any road crown or lack of.

Wanna know how straight it tracks? I'll tell you how straight it tracks. It tracks so straight I can unzip my tank bag, pull out the camera, shoot some pictures, put the camera back in the tank bag, and zip the tank bag closed. That's how straight my Connie tracks now!   ;D

Now, I have no intentions of removing the slip-on. That's how much I like what it did for my Connie.  ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Aaa ahh....

Gotta mention this. Back in December, I got my hands on a cf slip-on from ebay.  :-\ I really wasn't after any mods of sort, and I like my bike exhausts OEM quiet. The one I found had a price that couldn't be beat - so what the heck.  8)

I put it on, started the beast, and confirmed that the sound is quiet. Then, I went riding that weekend. My intention was to put the potato launcher back on the bike afterwards and save the slip-on. However, some favorable results were noticed while riding with the slip-on. Power? Didn't notice anything along those lines. I did notice that blipping the throttle for down-shifts that the engine rev'd better. The next best observation was the overall vibration was down - I mean seat, pegs, bars. Everywhere I made contact with the bike. Lastly, when I let go of the bars, the bike now tracks straight as an arrow in flight. The tracking has been check several times now, and I can rule-out any road crown or lack of.

Wanna know how straight it tracks? I'll tell you how straight it tracks. It tracks so straight I can unzip my tank bag, pull out the camera, shoot some pictures, put the camera back in the tank bag, and zip the tank bag closed. That's how straight my Connie tracks now!   ;D

Now, I have no intentions of removing the slip-on. That's how much I like what it did for my Connie.  ;D

Maxtog is probably not very happy with you right now.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey