Author Topic: Trailer Hitch  (Read 19559 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Trailer Hitch
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
I picked up one of their bike dollies too.  Works awesome for sliding bike out of the way.  Getting too old to pick her rear up to move her these days.

The dolly is awesome....went together in a snap.... 8)

NOT SO MUCH WITH THE TRAILER THO.... ::) :'( >:(

seems the wrecking crew tossed it around just a bit tooooo much....
the main frame has both marker lights smashed...and the fender brackets are bent to crap.
The bottom section of the plastic cargo box is damaged, and the latch is snapped off...
One gas-spring is bent.
The bearing and axle end on one end is totally cocked up, the bearing is pressed in crooked, and it will not spin free....

sooooooooo
tomorrow morn they get to swap parts out of another box for me....arggggggggggggg.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
SOOOOO....
I ordered the Bushtec hitch, 2 p.m. wednesday....
it's on truck here today, and should be on my doostep when I get home....
and that was with std ground freight.... sweet.......
48 hr delivery, glad I didn't get stupid and pay 3x $$$ for 2 day guranteed..... :o

UPDATE:
DELIVERED 1:41 P.M.

LESS THAN 48 HRS. ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:48:54 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
WELLL..... >:(
so much for the old "made in the USA" quality expectations.....
The Bushtec hitch is not high on my list of warm fuzzies right now.....
After busting my azz to get the "foreign" Harbor Freight trailer assembled, and wired...(to actually work with the wiring of the C14.....) I go to mount the Bushtec.... seemed simple, basically remove the rear plastic, the front bolts from the grab bar mounting hard points, the rear bolts on the passenger peg brackets, install the 4 longer replacement bolts and hitch, and done....
not so.

the mounting holes in the robustly welded hitch assembly varied from one side to the other, by over 1/4", and when coupled with the fact the bolts on the bike are spot on, and cannot be moved, the hitch was impossible to install. Now, because it's so robust, you simply cannot bend anything to make it work, even with a 4 lb mini sledge.... and the mounting tabs have so little extra metal around the holes you can't cut or grind anything off, or re-drill anything....
After calling them, and talking with them, all they are basically willing to do is return my money, and NOT supply a unit that does fit... in other words, they made them in a sloppy manner, and nobody bought them. It sounded like I was the first Guinea pig.... @ $430 shipped... I assume so.

I brought it ionto work and ground off the welds on the tabs to remove the ill fitting parts, and plan on mounting the tabs and the hitch on the bike, clamping it all back to where it does fit, and tack it in place with my flux core wire machine, and have my welder here at work TIG it all up tomorrow.
Pictures upon completion :'( :'( ::)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 03:42:36 AM »
Sorry that you are having issues with this.
I was planning on getting one of these hitches and now I'm not so sure.

Thanks again for posting about what you've found and how the company handled the situation.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
I cut the welds off the upper bent plates, ground them in the area where they didn't fit around the upper bolts, ground out the holes to clear the weld nuts, then installed the hitch, and bolted the plates oin place, then with great effort, and many clamps, wratchet straps, cursing, repositioned the hitch and clamped the bars to it...tackwelded it in place, and TIG welded the assembly at work, with the top bars clamped to prevent warpage....

all in all it came out looking good, have to install tonight....
but for $430 delivered they totally butt-screwed me on this hitch... they never made one that fit I am sure.

PERSONALLY I WOULD NOT BUY ONE, BUT I'D CALL AND ASK THEM IF THEY GURANTEE IT FITTING, AS YOU HEARD THEY SUCKED...... ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
PERSONALLY I WOULD NOT BUY ONE, BUT I'D CALL AND ASK THEM IF THEY GURANTEE IT FITTING, AS YOU HEARD THEY SUCKED...... ;)

I would get it in WRITING.

And won't they be surprised when negative info comes around and bites them.  So many companies that just won't do the right thing...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

ang

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
I bought the same unit from Bushtec and it fit fine, so not all are off.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
I bought the same unit from Bushtec and it fit fine, so not all are off.

WHEN DID YOU BUY/INSTALL? was it Chrome, or black?
Consider yourself lucky. 8) 8) ;)

I dunno, the fellow I spoke with said he and the "owner" went and pulled 2 and looked, they both looked the same, and he insisted all are made on the same "setup"... I would have to say that not one aspect of the assembly was correct. the end tabs on the tube were misaligned which throws off the vertical alignment, the formed tube was skewed to align the tabs, it was off center left to right, and the front end was narrower than the back ends mounts by over 1-1/4" on width. to mount, I had to bolt on one front blade, then pull the left one outwards 3/4" using bar clamps, install that bolt/nut and release clamp. then I had to mount the upper right side by using a bar clamp to pull it up and outwards, and then had to pull the left one up with a clamp, and another bar clamp to pull it inwards 3/4".  This was all to "align and centralize the geometry of the formed round tubing....
 even doing that, I could not install without the modifications I made.
After my mods I did have to use bar clamps to pull the shapes in, but the re-positioning of the top wing bars I di made it drop right into place, and remain "central" with the tire and bike.

Hell, even the plate the ball is installed on is welded on off to one side, and crooked at that... you can see it in the photos....
after modifications:

before mods:

it was midnight when I finished all my finalization, but it's all assembled, wired, and ready to rock....
more shots tonight.

Offline novacon

• nova scotia t
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Just an FYI for anyone who may not want to go with the Bushtec Hitch , especially Canadian C14 owners , the hitch on Kawacop's bike is a Denray. It can be purchased directly from Denray Products
( www.denray.ca) located in Quebec or from Custom Cruiser Chrome , located in Peterborough , Ontario. The price $340.95 + taxes and they wanted 31.00 to ship to Nova Scotia.
t
2010 connie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »
I created a new post specific to my above project,  so as to preserve the O/P's thread, and not hog it.
The saga Pt II continues here:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14520.msg178117#msg178117

thanks,
 MOB