Author Topic: Not enough battery power to start this morning  (Read 16203 times)

Offline connie1

• Arena
Re: Not enough battery power to start this morning
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
My Honda charger has a cycle that it goes through when you hook it up.  First desulfating, then charging, then maintaining.  A little yellow light blinks during the desulfating phase, when it switches to charging I unplug it and plug it back in...goes back to desulfating.  I might do this six or eight times, testing in between.  I never load test small batteries like bike and quad but a voltage test will tell you if all the cells are producing.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
I picked up a Tender Plus on the way home ($64 total) and have it hooked up now and it has a solid red light which indicates it is charging. I forgot to check the voltage before starting the process. I could check it now using the terminals in the Battery Tender cable, but I am going to leave it alone and check back later to see how it's doing.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »
Just did a little research, my Honda charger is a re-branded Optimate.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

motocopter

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
... that kind of temp the acid will freeze and it will be hooped....

:rotflmao:  cracks me up! 

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
Last night, I went to watch a movie (home theater) and looked at the Tender first and it was showing red. After the movie (11pm) it was solid red with flashing green (indicating it was over 80%). Went to bed and this morning it was green and the bike started right up.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Did you end up replacing the battery?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
You "NEVER" start up your bikes and let them idle without going for a ride, does nothing but put moisture in your crankcase and doesn't do anything for charging your battery. Stabil should also had been put into your gas tank, the crap gas out there now turns to varnish within 3 months without any stabilizers added.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
Did you end up replacing the battery?
Nope. I was going to buy one at the dealer where I got the Tender just in case this one could not be salvaged and return it if I didn't use it, but they won't allow returns on electrical items. I explained that if I didn't need it, I wouldn't even pull it out of the box or anything and they were not having it, so I walked out without one.

You "NEVER" start up your bikes and let them idle without going for a ride, does nothing but put moisture in your crankcase and doesn't do anything for charging your battery. Stabil should also had been put into your gas tank, the crap gas out there now turns to varnish within 3 months without any stabilizers added.

Even California gas? We have a different formulation for our state. And I agree, I would never start the bike and let it idle, I would only go for a ride. Hence the reason for a dead battery, I didn't ride it. My wife asked why I didn't start it and let it idle and I told her that it needs to be ridden, not just idle.
Scott

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Even Cali gas. What Pokey said. It's easy enough to treat your gas.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
The gas today is ass..............
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »

Ass gas?  :o

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

Ass gas would be a good comparison.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
Crap. I need it faster than they could get it to me...  Great find though.

I posted this a while back, search feature would help on battery stuff.... ;)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10869.msg133292#msg133292

48 hours from call to arrival, across the USA.

how much faster do we need?  I know....walk in and purchase syndrome...instant gratification. ;D ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »
I posted this a while back, search feature would help on battery stuff.... ;)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10869.msg133292#msg133292

48 hours from call to arrival, across the USA.

how much faster do we need?  I know....walk in and purchase syndrome...instant gratification. ;D ;D

I needed it in less than 24 hours.  ;)  I am going to my buddies house at noon today so that we can both install our fuel controllers (Juice Box for me and Power Commander for him) on our C14's. He has never taken the fairings off and would rather I come over and help him.
Scott

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

Sounds like a gashole issue.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »
You "NEVER" start up your bikes and let them idle without going for a ride, does nothing but put moisture in your crankcase and doesn't do anything for charging your battery.

+1
At idle, a vehicles alternator usually barely keeps up with just keeping the vehicle running.  And it is best to get the vehicle up to temperature, get the transmission and wheels moving, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Last night, I went to watch a movie (home theater) and looked at the Tender first and it was showing red. After the movie (11pm) it was solid red with flashing green (indicating it was over 80%). Went to bed and this morning it was green and the bike started right up.

Sounds like you lucked out :)   I FINALLY got a Battery Tender Jr. just several months ago.  Sometimes it won't go green on my 2011's battery, but it has been left too low at least three times.  I think it is on its last leg.  Sometimes even with good treatment they don't last too long.  My 2009 car's battery is also starting to get weak starting after even just 3 or 4 days of sitting.  That has never been left low, but I have accidentally overcharged it twice (I don't use a Tender on it).

Thanks for the advice guys!

Anytime.  Share and share alike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »

+1000

They need to stop this stupid ethanol crap.  Worst idea ever.  And I think it pretty much ruined my last bike (a caurburated 2000 ZRX)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 12:22:57 AM »
FYI, everything worked great today. Rode the bike to my buddies and we both installed the fuel controllers and then we rode 141 miles in a trip to go get some Tri-Tip. Came home and smoked the roast for just over an hour and then seared it over high heat and enjoyed!
Two C14's and a Harley, my buddy had his son riding along on his C14 and after 90 miles, I put my Corbin seat on his bike so he could try it out. Good thing I did that because he was about ready to buy one and found out he really didn't like how low he was sitting on it. He will go for a Sargent standard height instead or maybe just get a different cover for his.
Scott

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
As luck would have it I started my bike yesterday morning and got the low battery warning and it was slow cranking over. I only rode it about 15 minutes but then put a Sears automatic charger on it in 2 amp mode. After about 4 hours the charger switched off and the battery this morning starts the bike like it did new.

BTW this was the longest my bike has sat all year. About 4 weeks.